Sign in to follow this  
Dels

Viper Zero reborn

Dels, we are lucky enough to just have you working on that, but I need to ask for all of us "2-seater fans" - have you thought at all about adding also the 2-seater version?
Dels, which versions are you planning exactly?

Hi guys, I'm only working on the F-2A. I hadn't considered a 2-seater, but if I did it would have to wait until I've finished my other projects.

Dels

its the japanese F-2 fighter not a F-16

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove the front cockpit framing Daniel (old trick with the F4 back from the days of SimQH)....

EDIT: SORRY, stupid me, was under the impression that it was sopposed to be another F16.... :bad:(misunderstood the name "Zero Viper") Of course the cockpit framing is correct for the F2......

Edited by Derk

Dels, when you are up to it, could you please show us some more details, such as weapon pylons, landing gear?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove the front cockpit framing Daniel (old trick with the F4 back from the days of SimQH)....

It's not just the frame that's different in the cockpit:

f21vk9.jpg

The F-2 has a wide-angle HUD, as well as three large full-color MFDs and an auxiliary smaller one. The traditional (backup) gauges on the side panels are almost identical to the F-16C pit though. Here's a link to a mock-up of the pit panels. I'm told that in combat mode, the center one is typically used for the radar display/tactical situation, the left is combination waypoint steering and RWR (like on some other modern fighters), the right one is for weapons display, and the smaller one shows the artificial horizon/compass. But I'm pretty sure they can be switched around in nearly any combination.

Here's the back seat of the F-2B for the hell of it. Reminds me a little of the Strike Eagle.

f2back3bm.jpg

Note that the B model is (so far) used exclusively for training. Personally I'd be very satisfied with just the A model.

For those of you just tuning in who are not familiar with this remarkable aircraft, the F-2 isn't just "another Viper." It's a completely new aircraft, more like the Super Hornet compared to the regular Hornet. (And it comes complete with the same sort of delusional detractors...) Enlarged wings and tail, more internal fuel, additional hardpoints, composite airframe, advanced indigenous avionics and EW, and the first ever AESA radar to be mounted on a production fighter. It's also one of the most beautiful fighters ever made. Plenty of reasons to be excited that Dels is giving us a reboot of it.

It is also, by far, the most expensive F-16 variant to date :biggrin:

The F-2 program was controversial, because the unit cost, which includes development costs, is roughly four times that of a Block 50/52 F-16, which does not include development costs. Inclusion of development costs distorts the incremental unit cost (this happens with most modern military aircraft), though even at the planned procurement levels, the price per aircraft was somewhat high. The initial plan of 141 F-2s would have reduced the unit cost by up to US$10 million per unit, not including reduced cost from mass production. As of 2008, 94 aircraft were planned.[1] Also controversial is the amounts claimed to be paid to American side as various licensing fees, although making use of the pre-existing technology was much cheaper than trying to develop it from scratch.

Dels, when you are up to it, could you please show us some more details, such as weapon pylons, landing gear?

Sorry it's been a while, but here's some close up pics.

post-2240-0-18557700-1351508336_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-15995100-1351508345_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-83906900-1351508355_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-06757200-1351508365_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Really nice modeling work there. Looks almost done to my untrained eye!

Really nice modeling work there. Looks almost done to my untrained eye!

That's a pretty good eye. The model (including the always dreaded texture mapping) is in fact 100% complete. I have started in-game testing while ace888 works on the skin.

Dels

Edited by Dels

are we there yet Dels?

:lmao:

:lmao:

..but why? :sad:

it's a saying I use on my wife all the time "are we there yet?", "is dinner ready yet"?, and so on

• Like 1

This one is really looking awesome! :good: Hope there will be some nice templates...

it's a saying I use on my wife all the time "are we there yet?", "is dinner ready yet"?, and so on

ohh I see :ok:

can't wait for this bird!

then we'll be able to make sort of modern Kurile Islands FA scenario, with all the beauties WBS does :wink:

• Like 2

Oh, I want this *bad*. Any word on what the holdup is, considering the model itself is done and it should be flyable using the old flight model?

Oh, I want this *bad*. Any word on what the holdup is, considering the model itself is done and it should be flyable using the old flight model?

my guess is what always takes the longest,lack of free time to work on it. Real life always gets in the way ;)

just slap the F-16 FM onto it, folks won't notice, it ain't DCS (runs fast to his cave)