Typhoon

OT - It only takes a second

I haven't been around much in the last few days. On Monday my wife was thrown from a horse and severely injured. Her head hit a large boulder and it caused bleeding on her brain and she was placed in intesive care. According to the neurosurgeon the next three days were critical and if there was any swelling he would have to operate. Luckily her skull was not fractured and there were no problems with her neck or spine. I have been at the hospital pretty well non-stop since the accident.

She has progressed well in the last couple of days although she is still really confused. She is scheduled for another cat scan this morning , if the scan is clear she will be moved to the neurological ward and assessed for a few days before being allowed to come home. The Dr says it looks as if she will be OK. but that things can still go south at any time. So here's hoping.

It just goes to show you that life can change in an instant.

Tony

Typhoon, sorry to hear that. Best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Indeed! I love horseback riding myself, and to have such a crisis and tragedy come out of it is just horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife!

Here's wishing your wife a quick recovery. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well.

Damn, that totally sucks. As you say, you never know. Horrible things can just reach out and zap you with no warning, whether it's a horse or the guy in the oncoming vehicle texting. I'm glad to hear that the outlook is as favorable as can be expected, all things considered. Good luck!

Life changes every moment - we only keep forgetting.

And we are fragile acrobats, sometimes on the high wire.

I really wish her all the best - that it will all get okay again, Tony!

Wow, Tony, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Fortunately, it sounds like everything is going to be okay. You and your family are in my hopes and prayers.

Things like this remind me that we are all hanging by a thread--no matter our age or general health situation. Two years ago, my 40 year-old cousin died from a sudden and totally unexpected heart attack. To be fair, she drank and she smoked more than she should have, but she seemed to be in good health, otherwise. I still think about her almost every day.

I know that it's corny to say, but treasure every day!

And let your wife know we are thinking of her.

Hope all remains on the up. Our thoughts are with you both.

Hope all turns out for the best.

Best advice is keep positive. Any time anyone gets on any horse wear a helmet and a protective vest they have saved my behind many many times.

I exercised race horses for 20+ years and have seen every type of injury you can imagine,includiing fatal ones 99.9% of the time things heal and life returns to the usual day to day things. I personally have had various injuries spread out over some 40 odd years from horses, fractured skull, busted more ribs than I can count, wrists, hands three times,have been hung up and drug ect. The last accident I had at the race track I fractured the 4th vertebrae in my neck and doc said no more. So now I just ride for pleasure not to earn a living.

My prayers for you and yours. Praying for a quick and full recovery for your wife.

A real shock for you...I too echo everyone else's thoughts and words Typhoon.

My son rides as well, and I hope this won't put you or your wife off Riding again.

It's a corny saying, but very true - Life is fragile, handle with care.

I hope she has a full and speedy recovery,- and gets back on a horse too. Life can change in an instant, so we should live that life to the full and enjoy the experience.

Update overdue as it is. She is at home, her short term memory is not as it should be, and she is in quite a bit of pain in her back and legs from the fall itself. X-rays don't show any damage to bones. The doc says they are soft tissue injuries and will heal with time. For the next little while she cannot be left alone and it goes without saying that her drivers license has been suspended for now. Her sister and our next door neighbour have been great about giving me time to recharge my batteries. It seems that recovery from these types of injuries is a long process taking up to a year or more.

Again thankyou for all yor prayers and encouragement, I read them all to her and she really appreciates it.

Tony

Edited by Typhoon

Continuing to remember you folks, Typhoon. I hope this week has brought much improvement for her!