Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Open Cockpit

I have read Arthur Gould Lee's great book "No Parachute!" some time ago, and it is probably my No. 1

book of all books from WW1 pilots I have read so far.

Now I'm wondering how the follow up book "Open Cockpit" might be.

Could he write something new after the first, or at least write about the same time again in an interesting way?

Perhaps those of you, who love the first, and also read the second book, can tell me what you think?

'No Parachute' covers eight months, from May '17 to January '18 and is effectively a diary of that period. 'Open Cockpit' covers a longer period, from AGL's training in 1916 through to his training others to fly Camels up to and just after the Armistice. It's maybe more of a true WW1 service memoir, but is nevertheless, essentially more of what you have in 'No Parachute' but without the diary element.

Some people consider 'Open Cockpit' to be the better book, I prefer 'No Parachute'... chacun á son gôut.

I had hoped you would respond, cause I knew you liked 'No Parachute' a lot. Thank you, Dej!