SpinyNorman

Air Raid Warning Ambulances

Hi all,

Just stuck up a simple Object Mod. It's just the stock Trucks repainted as Ambulances. They are just a vessel for an air raid warning system. So once you start to dive in on an enemy aerodrome, the alarm bells (or siren) will start ringing!

Unfortunately unless you want them guarding bridges and balloons you have to place them manually on the Terrains at the Airfields. But this isn't as time consuming as first thought, most of the Aerodromes have Trucks already placed at them, so you just need to substitute in an Ambulance.

Cheerio!

SpinyNorman.

Edited by SpinyNorman

Absolutely Awsome! I've been trying to do that for years. The airfields sound so cool now with all the AAA I've placed and now sirens and bells! I never thought of creating a new "Gun" for the Sirens. Bravo! Now I will create some Ambient sounds for the airfields such as distant explosions, plane engines starting up, and even birds chirping. So many options now. You could add a friendly vehicle at an enemy base for the "Siren" effect so that it would activate at takeoff and landing. But using the new "ambient sound". Now I have to try it out! I'll post a video when I get this together. Spiny....one very cool effect, made my day! :drinks:

Cheers!

Good thinking with the ambient sounds.... Check out Andy73's SoundTweak III download over at OFF, he has some very cool ambient airfield sounds with birds chirping, dogs barking, planes being tinkered with, all the while with 'crump crump' in the background from the front. Some of the wavs will need scaling down a bit I think in order to work. If you change the Siren to the Ambient sound for the gun, and change Target Air to Target Ground, then the friendly Ambulance (or whatever vessel you use!) at the enemy Aerodrome should be constantly shooting at it's neighbouring AAA. As always, endless playing around to be done! :biggrin:

If you want to use ambient base sounds that are far away from the front (assigned to another "gun"), you can use the base OFF ambient sounds. Andy73 just added explosions to these base ambient sounds for those airfields close to the front, even though OFF does not recognize the difference.

I've been trying to get and Enemy object (like the truck) to make the Ambient sound. I've created Enemy and friendly trucks just like the EntenteAmbulance and German Ambulance. Placed them at their opposing airfields via the terrains "Targets.ini". But no sounds. The objects appear, and I have a gun named "AmbientSound" in the Gun folder and AmbientSound in the sound folder. Along with the Sound.ini. The "Enemy" truck named "Ambientsound" should detect the Friendly aircraft at the Friendly airfeild and start firing some Ambient sound at them, but they dont. Has someonelse tried this yet. Its kind of hard to explain here.

BTW, Andy73's sound are great. They work well w FE. Thanks Andy73 :drinks:

Edited by quack74

Hmmm.... not sure why it wouldn't work, moving house at the moment, but will try it in a couple of days time. Good luck!

yeah that's weird, just had a quick play, I can get ambient sounds going when you fly over Enemy airfields, but not by placing them at friendly airfields, so far can't get it to shoot at me. Will try making friendly and enemy tanks and see if they shoot Ambience at each other?

I got the same thing. Maybe there is a "Detection" problem when the object " Ambient Sound" starts in the opposing territory?

Hi Quack,

I have got the ambience sound going at the airfields just by making it the engine sound for the Ambulance. Seems to work fine!

Thats great! I'll give it a try. :good:

Bravo SpinyNorman! Such an easy thing to do too. I've place a vehicle w an ambient sound at two locations on every airfield. When taking off and landing (with engines off) I can here the birds chirping and a light wind. Even some crickets in the grass. Very cool effect! That with the sirens and bells for airraids makes FE2 soo much better. It really comes alive.

Edited by quack74

No worries! Great thinking with adding the ambient sounds, now I can't stop playing.

I've just added frontline ambient sounds to Stephen1918s Infantry by giving them an 'engine' (I also gave them a cheer for when they charge). Which is all very well and good, but I haven't yet bit the bullet and dived into targets.ini and started placing them along the front line! Seems like a very long process to go through. Have you got units placed along the front?

They auto-generate when there is a CAS mission (in single mission mode). Or when there are proper equiped ground units in campaigns. Field guns and machine gun nests are other story and they need be added by hand...

Cheers Ojcar,

I have seen in Campaigns there is the ground objects (love Armchair Aces! :good: ), in the campaign should they generate for any mission type? or is it only if one of the air units has a CAS mission? and how many would I expect to see on the ground in Armchair Aces Flanders 1917? (I see it says startobjects=100). Just wondering if mine are not generating properly... I See them when I have a CAS ok.

I was wondering if anyone had added infantry to the front along with Geo's artillery and Machine Gun nests in the targets.ini to give a bit more substance and life to the frontline. But from what I have read it seems like quite an undertaking with finding your offsets with debugged hudata.ini and then entering it all into targets.ini then giving them wildly inaccurate guns. Also I'm not sure how much it would slow everything down? wasn't sure whether it is worth doing?

No worries! Great thinking with adding the ambient sounds, now I can't stop playing.

I've just added frontline ambient sounds to Stephen1918s Infantry by giving them an 'engine' (I also gave them a cheer for when they charge). Which is all very well and good, but I haven't yet bit the bullet and dived into targets.ini and started placing them along the front line! Seems like a very long process to go through. Have you got units placed along the front?

I use the Vogesen Terrain by gepard for my Austria-Italy campaigns. I have placed many targets all over the place. Balloons, AAA, vehicles, Infantry, artillery, etc, etc. The front (in some places) is full of life. I've even added a lot to the airfields. But!, it does take awhile via the "Targets.ini" . But well worth it. I've even put the "crashed aircraft.lods" as seperate objects in the terrains' "Types.ini" to create crash sites with emergency vehicles, smoke, and destroyed infantry.lods for , sorry to say, dead crew.

Technically your "Ambulance" vehicles for airraid sirens would also create the ambient sounds. The sirens are just the "Gun" sound and the ambient is the "Movement" sounds.

BTW great idea for the sounds with Stephens infantry! I'm off to do that now!

Just a cool pic of the Italian Front

post-33545-0-42887200-1349965865_thumb.jpg

Very cool pic!

I've also seen your pics for crash sites and train stations... nice work! Looks good, think I will start to chip away and add units to the bits of the front I fly most for now (I normally fly Cambrai in Armchair Aces Flanders).

Yeah at the moment I have the gun on the Ambulance for the air raid siren/bell, and the engine sound as ambient_airfield. And for the Infantry at the front I had to add an engine to them and the engine sound is ambient_frontline, and for movement sound the cheer.

I really like the Vogesen terrain, but I have noticed some of my ground units 'sink' or start underground... how do I fix that?

Very cool pic!

I've also seen your pics for crash sites and train stations... nice work! Looks good, think I will start to chip away and add units to the bits of the front I fly most for now (I normally fly Cambrai in Armchair Aces Flanders).

Yeah at the moment I have the gun on the Ambulance for the air raid siren/bell, and the engine sound as ambient_airfield. And for the Infantry at the front I had to add an engine to them and the engine sound is ambient_frontline, and for movement sound the cheer.

I really like the Vogesen terrain, but I have noticed some of my ground units 'sink' or start underground... how do I fix that?

Open the Vogesen DATA.ini

I think it should look like this for the Height Field. Been awhile since I had to do this.

[HeightField]

DetailScale=5.0

DetailFrequency=1.0

MaxHeight=1000

MinHeight=0

hmmm, mine lines up with that:

[HeightField]

DetailScale=5.0

DetailFrequency=1.0

MaxHeight=1000

MinHeight=0

[HeightOffset]

NonTexturedMesh=-0.5

TexturedMesh=-0.1

Will have another fly and see if it's ok

I'm doing (slowly) a update to Armchair Aces. New planes, more tuned ground war (to stop mini-campaigns to end before time) and field guns and machine-gun nests in terrains.

Cool Ojcar!

I can fully appreciate how much time it must take!

Just had a quick look at placing ground units at the front, and if I use the same target points as in the campaigns and just offset from there then it's not as bad as I first thought.

SpinyNorman, Go back into the Vogesen_Data.ini and scroll down till you see [Texture001], [Texture002], etc, etc.

Each one has a parameter "HeightMapScale=********* " . Some say =10.00000 and some say =5.00000. Make all =0.00000

That will fix the ground level problem.