Hi

So this is an idea I've been toying with lately, whose main purpose is to facilitate cockpit making, especially for people new to the game and engine. As it stands now we have a couple of outstanding cockpit makers like Brain32, Stary and Julhelm just to name a few, whose work is excellent. We also have many up-and-coming modders who are just now making their first works in SF2, like me or Sophocles. For me making a cockpit has not been difficult because of aesthetic reasons but technical ones, setting up all the instruments and so forth.

To bridge this gap I was hoping we could, as a community, create a set of MAX files with instruments freely available to the community complete with commented INI files. This means creating a cockpit would mostly be about creating the mesh, then the aspiring modder could just open up the instrument max file and pick all the appropriate instruments and place them in his cockpit. Over time the library could be expanded to include most common US, Soviet and French instruments, as a lot of the instruments are standard on many different aircraft or at least very similar.

So now I would ask you, the experienced modders, to give us newbies a hand by giving your instruments :salute: . I'm willing to do all the compilation work, basically you would just have to open your cockpit file, delete everything except the gauges and needles (and other assets you are willing to part with that might be of use), save as a different file and send it to me. I will then compile all the gauges to a file which I will put up for download. Regarding the textures these can be sent in any way you please, I will then cut out the unnecessary bits (if any) for minimal file size. And be sure to also send the INI files of your cockpits so that it is basically a cut'n'paste affair to make them work. If you care to comment the files, all the better! I'm hoping this project will enable more modders to make more high quality cockpits for the flying pleasure of us all :beach:

If you have any input please share it here!

With hope of co-operation,

Cnt

i think we have something like that in the Modders Repository (you can find it in the download section) with the cockpits from Stary , Fast Cargo , EricJ and my self for example

- T-38 Cockpit = Fast Cargo

- Yak-23 cockpit = Stary

- Super Hornet cockpit model (beginning) = EricJ

- F-16C Cockpits = ravenclaw_007

- RF-4E Cockpits = ravenclaw_007

the only requirement is you have to be a Modder to get access

aaahhh..... and this is not only for cockpits you can find vehicles , weapons and aircraft models as well there

Edited by ravenclaw_007

thats one problem Centurion-1 does not have that status was some off the new 3d guys around

i know but there is a reason why there is only a limited access to this library otherwise we could put up a sign " piracy allowed "

for the new 3d guy´s we have to find a way so they have access to the files or we Modder are providing it to them on a personal basis but under the mandatory limitations for the library

may they can after proving they are serious 3d guys and not pirates aks moderators or admin for acess to modder repository

Great idea...we can extend it to models too...I dont mind if a fellow modder uses say landing gears from one of my donated models If I can use his gauges in a pit im doing lol

thats easy cocas...only modders get the repository \thread password.

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

i was thing off people that do great work like Centurion-1 and sophocles they dont have modder status yet.

i was thing off people that do great work like Centurion-1 and sophocles they dont have modder status yet.

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate your gesture cocas :victory: . The vets on this forum have already been extremely helpful and forthcoming with any help I have requested and I am sincerely grateful .. this is a great community!

That said, I am actually looking forward to when one of my projects is released so that I can "earn" modder status. I really do not expect any priviledges that come with the "promotion" before then.

Centurion's ideas are great and I would be more than happy to contribute my stuff to fellow modders in order to avoid duplication of effort.

Regards

for the new 3d guy´s we have to find a way so they have access to the files or we Modder are providing it to them on a personal basis but under the mandatory limitations for the library

I don't see why that cant/couldn't be done, on a case-by-case basis. One of the modders with access, passes on the MAX files to Centurion or Sopochles, if the file is needed. Once modder status has been achieved, they'll get their password.

Can be done via PM or email.

just keep it 'nice and tight'. Piracy has been an issue in the past (but I'm sure the 2 aforementioned are honest), so security is paramount. Even with freeware items

• Like 2

I don't see why that cant/couldn't be done, on a case-by-case basis. One of the modders with access, passes on the MAX files to Centurion or Sopochles, if the file is needed. Once modder status has been achieved, they'll get their password.

Can be done via PM or email.

just keep it 'nice and tight'. Piracy has been an issue in the past (but I'm sure the 2 aforementioned are honest), so security is paramount. Even with freeware items

exactly :good:

Ok, but since there is this issue for all the new modders maybe it would be a good idea with an instrument repository like this available?

The value of a bunch of gauges for pirates is very limited but could be gold for aspiring modders. I understand very well the hesitance of anyone putting up a complete cockpit without limitations, that is not what I am suggesting! Think of this as a sort of create-a-cockpit toolkit where you just take the bits you need to rapidly have something that works. Not everyone is tech/ini savvy enough to easily implement the various instruments, neither familiar enough with aircraft instrumentation to make all the stuff work as it should.

PS. I didn't even know of the modders repository before you guys mentioned it just now :blink:

We can ask Daniel (Kesselbrut), he made a lot of cockpits.

I´m pretty sure he will give out his source files....

what Wrench and Russo said, it's not that we have 100 new skilled 3D guys wanting some help daily... as for Centurion and Sophocles, they already proven they do have skills and pardon me for puting it this way, "good will"

relatively new members simply missed the drama we had here in the past relating to "good will" and models usage

I WILL add to the depo reworked/updated Mig-15/bis/17F pits too when it's ready (2013) aswell as other WW2 ones

Hi folks, I'm new to both 3D and cockpit modding, but I'd like to learn it... Is there some help files tutorials, examples etc out there? I want to make such things noone is willing to make, I have to make myself. And I'm happy to make it myself instead of asking nagging others to do it