Sign in to follow this  
thodouras95

North Atlantic cruise missiles: Have you ever downed any?

Title says it all.I tried to intercept one of them by launching all six AIM-54s against it.None hit, so just wonderin' if you guys have ever succeeded in doing so (if you got any pics, don't hesitate).

Edited by thodouras95

It can be done, but its more cost effective to waste your ordinance on the Aircraft who release them. That way, the Ships will not fire on any stray aircraft that got close; only on the Cruise Missiles.

It can be done, but its more cost effective to waste your ordinance on the Aircraft who release them. That way, the Ships will not fire on any stray aircraft that got close; only on the Cruise Missiles.

Most of the time I don't make it in missile range on time before they release them

I got one with a sidewinder about 4 seconds after launch coming in from the bombers 6

ever tried hitting them with gun? :p

Yes, and epically succeeded.Yes, I am Chuck Norris.

I usually order the other aircraft to wack the bombers, should there be any survivors, I shoot them, but they don't always go down, so it all comes down to their load.If they Vampire, and I've wasted my Phoenixes, one of the ships is very likely to get boomed.That's why I've learnt my lesson, and from now on, I always save at least 2 AIM-54s as backup.Under normal circumstances, I never Fox 3 six times for a single missile.But I just can't get over the fact that I fired 6 AIM-54s and they all MISSED!!!!

Btw, anyone got any pics?

I got one with a sidewinder about 4 seconds after launch coming in from the bombers 6

Sounds like full AB and some serious luck.Those things go to Mach 4 and to their crazy flights altitudes which I cannot remember atm in no-time.

In my opinion it depends on your position as related with cruise missile's direction but in every case you should react fast!

If the missile moves in your front, you should know that in some seconds it will have come close to you. So you must lock and fire the AIM-54 as soon as possible. Difficult but still possible.

If you fail in the frontal interception the missile will fly above you in 22 Km heigth and then you will be forced to intercept it from the rear. Keep in mind that Kh-22 and KSR-5 fly with an average speed of 3.5 - 4 Mach. In high altitude AIM-54 can reach about 5 Mach and this is the advantage. If you fire it in short range it can destroy the cruise missiles but if fired in longer ranges it is impossible.

In my experience you can get 'em only head on.