Sign in to follow this  
B52STRATO

Red Tails... and the Stars and Stripes

After months of wait I finally saw Red Tails on an available DVD and something hurting me (may we except the dialogues)... how a film including so well designed effects, as the rate of fire between MG-13 and guns pods seen from the pilot's seat of a Bf-109, the distinctive snap of Me-262 30mm or simple scratches on glass, can put in 1945 a 50 stars flag ? I can understand that around the world many people are not interested in the U.S. history, personally as not being American, except for anecdotes or the most famous battles, I only know her war part of the twentieth century. But here it's joke to make a mistake like this ? Not only for the History passionates that we are, but also for the national public who shurely saw this directly during the film projection.

Someone, who cared, made the planes, someone, who didn't, put the flag up, the one, who supervised both, is overpaid.

As much as I have the utmost respect for World War II Veterans, IMHO, Red Tails was a horrible movie, let alone historically inaccurate.

General Benjamin O' Davis Jr, was completely written out of the movie (they could have done an awesome movie just on him and his USAAF and USAF career, or even one his father General Benjamin O' Davis Sr).

The acting straight sucked, which is surprising, because almost all of the actors in that movie have done some great roles in various movies and TV shows over the years.

I am a huge fan of George Lucas and Arron Mcgruder (especially of Mcgruder's Boondocks series). But after that movie I had the urge to have Lucas horsewhipped and I wanted personally punch Mcgruder in the throat.

FYI: The Tuskegee Airmen HBO movie (made in the early 90s) is way better acting wise, and it does not use CGI.

Edited by ironroad

The Tuskegee Airmen HBO movie (made in the early 90s) is way better acting wise, and it does not use CGI.

Years back I sawr the original on a channel I could barely pick up, little to no visual (all snowy) but voice came through fine. Great movie on voice alone.

I made the decision purely on the trailer, to not watch this horrible Hollywood fiction.

There are som many great stories that could be told and portraid on film, but I'm glad that they arent because they would be re-written to appease the PC police.