Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

How to limit a TER rack to 2 bombs (instead of 3)?

Recently I downloaded NATO Fighters 5 and while I'm very pleased with it, I do want to make some changes to make it more realistic, namely in the CF-18 Hornet which I notice can carry TERs (Triple Ejector Racks) with up to 3 bombs and even 3 Missiles (such as the AGM-65 Maverick) per pylon. This is not realistic since the real F/A-18 and CF-18 can only carry Twin Bomb Racks per pylon (and don't carry TERs).

So far I did some editing, first by editing the LoadLimit values but I either ended up being able to carry 3 light bombs per TER or I couldn't load the heaviest bombs (such as 2000lb bombs) so I was unhappy with it.

Then by looking into the CF-104(76) Starfighter data code (CF-104_76_DATA.INI) I added the following line to the CF-18_DATA.ini file:

RackSpecificStationCode=HARRIER_WING

while eliminating the TER, MER and TLR codes (and keeping the 2BR). This so far had the best result since it gave me a true Twin Bomb racks very similar to real F/A-18 ones but the problem is that I can't load 2 Mk83 (1000lb) bombs per pylon or even 2 BL-755 Cluster Bombs per pylon, like the real F/A-18 and CF-18 can!

After this I had a look into the F-4F_DATA.ini file and I noticed a very interesting solution, which was a TER with the following code line:

RackLimitOutsideOnly=TRUE

But the problem here is that with this code and while effectivelly limiting the bomb load to 2 (instead of 3) within the TER rack, the 2 bombs are carried one in a side position (the outside one) and the other in the lower position. What I wish is to have a way that I can carry two bombs only in a TER rack but on both side positions (outside and inside positions) leaving the lower position always free but unfortunally I don't know how to do this!

So can someone help me on this?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Then by looking into the CF-104(76) Starfighter data code (CF-104_76_DATA.INI) I added the following line to the CF-18_DATA.ini file:

RackSpecificStationCode=HARRIER_WING

while eliminating the TER, MER and TLR codes (and keeping the 2BR). This so far had the best result since it gave me a true Twin Bomb racks very similar to real F/A-18 ones but the problem is that I can't load 2 Mk83 (1000lb) bombs per pylon or even 2 BL-755 Cluster Bombs per pylon, like the real F/A-18 and CF-18 can!

You were on the right track here. You have to edit the 2BR that you're trying to use. Increase the length, diameter, and/or weight limits as neccessary to allow the weapons you want.

why not just use the 2BR for the CF-104s??? It's a stock unit

why not just use the 2BR for the CF-104s??? It's a stock unit

You mean to ask "why not just use the 2BR for the CF-18s?", right?

Well, the stock 2BR carries both bombs one in front of the other (just like a MER - Multiplayer Ejector Rack but with 2 bombs only instead of 6 or more). For the CF-18, I need a Twin Bomb Rack that carries both bomb side by side.

You were on the right track here. You have to edit the 2BR that you're trying to use. Increase the length, diameter, and/or weight limits as neccessary to allow the weapons you want.

Thanks for the heads up!

Could you point me where to find the 2BR that I'm using? I cannot seem to find this 2BR (the one used on the CF-104 which I adapted for the CF-18 as well).

that's how the CF-104 rack works side-by-side, just like the on for the stock Harriers.

Yes, but the question remains:

How can I incress the bomb load capacity of those racks so I can for example load 2 Mk-83 1000lb bombs in each of those racks?

I tried to incress the value of the "LoadLimit=" parameter but that didn't work. :(

Edited by ricnunes

You mean to ask "why not just use the 2BR for the CF-18s?", right?

Well, the stock 2BR carries both bombs one in front of the other (just like a MER - Multiplayer Ejector Rack but with 2 bombs only instead of 6 or more). For the CF-18, I need a Twin Bomb Rack that carries both bomb side by side.

Thanks for the heads up!

Could you point me where to find the 2BR that I'm using? I cannot seem to find this 2BR (the one used on the CF-104 which I adapted for the CF-18 as well).

If it's a stock weapon, you'll need to extract weapondata.ini from the appropriate .cat file. Then you'll need to use that to create a 2BR.ini and a 2BR_Data.ini files, increase load limit, diameter limit, and length limit so that it allows the weapons you want (you may have to look up those weapons in weapondata.ini to see what you have to change the values to). Then you can drop your modified 2BR (both files listed above in a folder named "2BR") in you weapons folder in you mod folder and you're good to go.

Have a look through the knowledgebase section, as it should provide some stuff that can help you figure out how to do this. Also download a 3rd party weapon from here (or an aircraft with some weapons) so you can see how to structure the modified weapon.

These will help:

http://combatace.com/topic/62302-what-is-the-mod-folder/

http://combatace.com/topic/44027-extracting-files-from-sf2-series-cat-files-by-migbuster/

http://combatace.com/topic/39282-sf2-weapon-layout/

Edited by malibu43