Hauksbee

The CFS3 Targeting Cone...

Since I've been flying Microsofts ETO Sim again, I've gotten used to the green targeting cone. I know this can be summoned up in OFF thru CFS3, but can't recall where to find it. Can somebody give me a clue? Thanks.

"Workshop" > "Graphic Setup" > "Overrides" - there is a tickbox for the cone.

(you Sissy - a targetting cone! Tch! Huh!! Tch!!!)

(you Sissy - a targetting cone! Tch! Huh!! Tch!!!)

Yeah...I...ah, expected something like that. (LOL) And, true enough, it does water down the experience a bit. But, being a QC flyer, I get the itch to fly in fifteen minute segments; then I'm off to do chores, or whatever. Thanks, Olham.

"Workshop" > "Graphic Setup" > "Overrides" - there is a tickbox for the cone.

Now I get to disgrace myself completely when I say that I can't find "Graphic Set-up". Only 'Graphic Config.', and that's not it. Can you do a quick screenie and point this out for me?

Yeah, okay, "Graphics Config" then.

Click on "File".

There you choose "Custom Settings" (ignore the warning).

Then in the upper left corner go on "Window"; then you should see the "Overrides".

It's in there.

Targetting cone.. Tch! Fifteen minuter!!! Sissy!! Huh!!!

It's in there.

It certainly is. But it doesn't seem to matter whether I check the box or not. The cone does not appear. Right above it is 'Disable Tactical Display. I can make that come and go, but no Targeting Cone.

Hawksbee,I believe I key toggles the targetting cone.

Cheers

Hawksbee,I believe I key toggles the targetting cone.

I use the "I" key and get a screen notice saying "Target Cone On" and "Target Cone Off", but the cone itself does not appear. I just launched CFS3; same thing. Gremlins in the works!

I'm hazy on this (never liked it myself), but doesn't the target cone only appear if you have a target selected and it isn't in view?

Yes Maeran, I believe that is the case.

but doesn't the target cone only appear if you have a target selected and it isn't in view?

I only know the Targeting Cone from CFS1 (ETO) and it's always on as long as there's an enemy in the air. How do I select a target in CFS3 or OFF?

Targeting cone in OFF...pah..leeese ;>)

Really. And I thought this would be a quick, simple question and not stir too much dust.

Hauksbee, I never use this since a long time, and so I can only try to remember it.

Target selection in OFF:

- you must have the TAC activated

- you switch to the mode for "aircraft" (for example - I think by pressing "T" repeatedly)

- When E/A appear you press the key you use for marking a target, and a red dot should appear on TAC

The targetting cone should now point to this E/A.

The cone - as far as I remember - only appears, when an E/A is within a certain range - not sure though.

All commands are accessable in "Controls".

You get there by hitting "Escape" in a mission; then click "Controls" in the appearing menue.

Hope this will help you, my friend.

Edited by Olham

Select the next target withTAB key.I suggest you key this to one of your joystick buttons.Play the sim as you want to ,Hawksbee.It's your quid.

Well, Hawksbee you have my sympathies. I squeezed in my first OFF Flight in ages - a "quick scenario" that turned out to be Sopwith Camels vs. Fokker Triplanes (appropriate for me & the season, I suppose). It was true OFF style, no markers, no TAC, no cone - and here I am with TrackIR and all, and kee-rimineee, I couldn't get a line on anybody, I'm whipping my head around, can't see who's shooting at me, can't find anybody to shoot at, and before long I was gliding earthward - and even then they wouldn't let me go, someone had to continue after me as I struggled to land, and blow my right lower wing off, which of course sent me out of control into the ground.

At the beginning, I saw a notice that 2nd Lt. Heza Pantswetter had been assigned to my squadron! Reminded me of a thread I started back aways!

OK, that did it. The "T" key gave me aircraft only on the TAC, and the Tab key brought up the cone...I'm in business. Of course, now I'll always be known as the wussy Yank that needs the TC.

Naw, I was only joking, Hauksbee.

I always advocat, that everyone should use the huge variety that OFF offers, as he pleases.

Some fly mostly QuickCombat, others Campaigns; some fly "Full DiD Realism" and others

use a selection of aides. I myself used most of the aids for a long time.

And I still ponder with myself about switching the TAC back on again - simply because it

allows the switching through the waypoints, and thereby the shortening of the "Warp" home.

Naw, I was only joking, Hauksbee.

Yeah, I know you were joking...but the other lads in the mess, well, they can be merciless.

Ah, let them talk. Many a bigmouth returned from a dogfight and had to change his pants...

Ah, let them talk...

Right! If the pilots of 1916 had targeting cones in their cockpits, they would have used them and loved it.

...until they'd point directly at their noses - short before a "Rack-ack-ack-ack-ack!"

Mmuahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!