Dave

Announcing DCS: UH-1H Huey

gallery_230_811_12072.jpg

DUXFORD, UK, October 7th, 2012 - The Fighter Collection and Belsimtek are proud to announce the upcoming release of DCS: UH-1H Huey - the next aircraft in the Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) series of PC combat simulations. The Huey is one of the most iconic and well-known helicopters in the world. Having seen extensive service as a transport and armed combat support helicopter during the Vietnam War, the Huey continues to serve in both military and civilian roles in many countries around the globe today.

DCS: UH-1H Huey will feature the same exacting level of modelling detail as the existing Ka-50 Black Shark, A-10C Warthog and P-51D Mustang DCS aircraft and it will be online compatible with them. Working in close partnership with U.S. based UH-1 operators and experts, The Fighter Collection and Belsimtek have leveraged their unique skills and experience to provide the most dynamic and true to life helicopter experience available on the PC.

The UH-1H will be the first helicopter of conventional design featured in the DCS series and further demonstrates the broad scope of the DCS simulation environment and its ability to introduce a wide variety of aircraft from all eras into a common simulation platform. The UH-1H will also be the first DCS aircraft to offer multiple player positions, including pilot, co-pilot, and door gunner. Like previous DCS products, the UH-1H will include a variety of difficulty options to cater to users with different levels of flight simulation experience, including “Simulation” and “Game” playing modes.

DCS: UH-1H Huey will be available for pre-purchase later this year for $39.99.

For more information, please visit: www.digitalcombatsimulator.com.

Key Features of DCS: UH-1H Huey include:

• Unmatched flight physics providing the most realistic and dynamic helicopter experience on the PC.
  • Multiple player positions, including pilot, co-pilot, and door gunner.
  • Accurate and highly detailed 3D cockpit featuring six-degrees-of-freedom technology.
  • Interactive cockpit controls that allow players to operate systems using the mouse.
  • Accurate UH-1H external 3D model, liveries, and weapons.
  • Detailed modelling of the UH-1H instruments, weapons, engine, radios, fuel, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
  • Developed in close cooperation with real UH-1 operators.
  • Missions that include transport and combat support operations.
  • Training that includes interactive and video lessons.
  • Multiplayer coop mode for crew members of the same helicopter under development for a later update.

About The Fighter Collection

The Fighter Collection, as well as developing software for the entertainment and serious game markets, also operates, rebuilds and maintains Europe's largest collection of airworthy WWII fighters and is based at Duxford Airfield, in the U K. For more information, visit our website: http://www.fighter-collection.com/

About Belsimtek

Belsimtek is a Belorussian engineering and innovation company employing top class scientists and engineers from Belorussia, Russia, and Ukraine to create professional flight simulators and flight simulation computer games. For more information, visit our website: http://www.belsimtek.com/

I'm completely confused, what period they aim to cover.

• Like 1

No freakin' way!I got the same question.....What battlefield will this be based on?

As a person on a Swedish Flight Sim forum said:

"DCS is starting to look like a wierd form of FSX where weapons and missions are flown at times, but where people spend most of their time formation flying since they have nothing good to fly against unless they own LOMAC, a superior title."

Edited by JonathanRL

This chopper really cries for pick up and deploy troop habilites, If not, I don't really see any interest on this.

While I'm not a fan of the Huey there seems to be quite a few that are so more power to them for releasing it. Yes, I want a fast mover. Yes, I want FC3. Yes I want some of the bugs fixed in World so that it will be more playable. We're gonna see the first two on that list and IMHO the smartest thing ED has done in quite some time is to add the updater. We've already seen fixes that would have taken several months to make into a patch and for ED to release. I remember several versions of FC2/BS/Warthog that we had to suffer through till the next patch. I'm optimistic that will be a thing of the past.

Another thing is the EDGE engine. I hope they get it completely sorted and as bug free as possible. At least ED isn't trying to carry on with a 10+ year old engine that's seen better days. I know it's difficult sometimes and I get impatient but I believe ED is on the right track. Not to say that you shouldn't still give your input as paying customers. Just that judging from the updates to World, ED seems to be on top of things.

Well, while I can see there will be interest in this, I don't have any. As mentioned, the mission capability for this will consist of "what a Ka-50 with rockets and gunpods alone could do." Sure you'll have miniguns for attacking infantry/soft targets on either side, but how often do you need that?

Also, I don't recall the large numbers of UH-1Hs used in Georgia...IMO it would've been more helpful to make a UH-1Y as least it's current. If not, an AH-1 would've been preferable.

So, I hope it sells well for the overall health of DCS World, but I won't be getting it. Combined Arms held far more appeal for me even in its half-finished current form.

I'm completely confused, what period they aim to cover.

No freakin' way!I got the same question.....What battlefield will this be based on?

This is a 3rd party addon. So the question about whether or not it fits should go to the developer, not ED.

This chopper really cries for pick up and deploy troop habilites, If not, I don't really see any interest on this.

They announced this:

• Missions that include transport and combat support operations.

Transport maybe in a sling? And what are "combat Support Operations"??

I have always wanted a decent hard core UH-1 and AH-1 simulation as much as an F-4/MiG-21 sim. I am pleasantly surprised by this decision and will most likely thoroughly enjoy this addon if they don't do something grossly wrong. I want a sim that combines all the best features of every sim ever released with a complete planeset ranging from the Wright Flyer to the latest greatest aircraft being built. DCS is short on the map/world and planeset, but is probably the best sim available for just about everything else. Clearly, the planeset is being expanded as rapidly as possible in all directions. If they could just go to a global map like xplane and FSX.

hmmm what's next announcement? Fokker E.III? LaGG-3? Zeppelin?

don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure it will be good solid addon but... with such pace and wide spectrum of proposed or announced airframes we'll have some decent force able to simulate a given period of air combat in believable environment by 2025 at best... oh, the environment...

"Georgia: Where all the battles in the history of air war were fought"

• Like 1

And what are "combat Support Operations"??

Delivering toilet paper and beer.

• Like 1

I assume the Frog and Hog versions will be included?

I assume the Frog and Hog versions will be included?

No

Delivering toilet paper and beer.

AKA haulin trash. I love the idea of combat support.... running into a hot LZ to drop off needed supplies to the troops. Troop insertion and exfil would also be a blast.... but only if it is done right , It seems like a tall order. While the Huey is an iconic aircraft a lot more is needed to flesh out an actual realistic combat environment for this bird and I agree that another type would be a better fit for the current map available. I would like to see a MV-22 Osprey, UH-60M, CH-53E Sea Stallion or CH-47 Chinook.for these type of missions.Who knows, maybe we will see a Vietnam or Fulda Gap map soon.

Edited by Vampyre

I think by 'combat support missions' they mean to allow the huey to act as a gunship(kinda strange as DCS has attack helos).However,it would be fun to fly CSAR/SAR missions under heavy enemy ground fire.I imagine allowing the player as both the pilot and the gunner.This aspect may appeal to a lot of hardcore players of military sims looking for a challenge.However,this would depend on the fidelity of the game physics as nobody wants an ARMA 2 clone!

I bought Black Shark. It was fun for a month then it was the same ol, same ol. But it's a chopper that has a total production of 10. That's not a typo. I haven't flown it in years, so it's a no brainer that I didn't buy BS2. P51? Wrong time frame and nothing to fly against but modern ground vehicles or other P51's. Didn't buy it. Combat Arms? It's a beta, been down this road before and the terrain needs several things before CA becomes something I'd be interested in. Collision models for trees for example. Now a Huey? To fly what, resupply missions? It's a light skinned, slow moving target that cannot survive on the battlefield w/out support. Like other choppers. The weapons it carries aren't even capable of killing a tank. Even an old T-55. So no purchase for me.

I'm not wanting to be critical here but I'm just giving my personal opinion on why I didn't purchase these modules. My squadron feels roughly the same way so I doubt that there will be any sales of the same modules with them. This is in stark contrast to my previous purchases, which is everything from LOMAC to DCS: Warthog I and my squadron bought every copy of.

I wish TFC and ED well with their future endeavors and I hope they sell enough copies of DCS: Huey to make it a profitable module. Unfortunately it's not what the majority of us want. Modern fast movers in high fidelity is what the community is craving. Doesn't matter if they're strictly air superiority like the F-15 or something multirole like an F-16 or F-18. But that's what the community wants. Fast ground attack jets are wanted. I'll bet DCS: Warthog sold a butt-load of copies. Judging by the participation on the forums, the Frogfoot and the Hawg are the two most popular "modules" out, and surpassing that is the excitement that FC3 will be released and incorporated into world. I predict that the medium fidelity FC3 will be the best selling module ED has released and will only be surpassed in sales by a fast mover module.

There is a niche for products like the P-51 and the Huey, but with no new theatres of operation as well as period correct enemy a/c and ground units these modules are just a passing "fad". I doubt they'll have legs.

• Like 1

I think good missions for the UH-1H would be SAR, troop transport, MEDEVAC, SF infil/exfil, and supply transport. Combat support would only really be useful under the protection of Close Support aircraft like the A-10 or a dedicated attack helicoptor. Against modern MANPADS they will not stand a chance. It should be able to get reasonably close to the front lines by flying low...under the trees low. There has to be some sort of mission accomplishment metrics as well, I have not been using this sim long enough to know if there is such a system in place or not.

Edited by Vampyre

I bought Black Shark. It was fun for a month then it was the same ol, same ol. But it's a chopper that has a total production of 10. That's not a typo. I haven't flown it in years, so it's a no brainer that I didn't buy BS2. P51? Wrong time frame and nothing to fly against but modern ground vehicles or other P51's. Didn't buy it. Combat Arms? It's a beta, been down this road before and the terrain needs several things before CA becomes something I'd be interested in. Collision models for trees for example. Now a Huey? To fly what, resupply missions? It's a light skinned, slow moving target that cannot survive on the battlefield w/out support. Like other choppers. The weapons it carries aren't even capable of killing a tank. Even an old T-55. So no purchase for me.

I'm not wanting to be critical here but I'm just giving my personal opinion on why I didn't purchase these modules. My squadron feels roughly the same way so I doubt that there will be any sales of the same modules with them. This is in stark contrast to my previous purchases, which is everything from LOMAC to DCS: Warthog I and my squadron bought every copy of.

I wish TFC and ED well with their future endeavors and I hope they sell enough copies of DCS: Huey to make it a profitable module. Unfortunately it's not what the majority of us want. Modern fast movers in high fidelity is what the community is craving. Doesn't matter if they're strictly air superiority like the F-15 or something multirole like an F-16 or F-18. But that's what the community wants. Fast ground attack jets are wanted. I'll bet DCS: Warthog sold a butt-load of copies. Judging by the participation on the forums, the Frogfoot and the Hawg are the two most popular "modules" out, and surpassing that is the excitement that FC3 will be released and incorporated into world. I predict that the medium fidelity FC3 will be the best selling module ED has released and will only be surpassed in sales by a fast mover module.

There is a niche for products like the P-51 and the Huey, but with no new theatres of operation as well as period correct enemy a/c and ground units these modules are just a passing "fad". I doubt they'll have legs.

+1

Me too i think the most "overlooked" (by ED) product in the ED roadmap and the one they are trying to leave behind, LockOn, is maybe and will be their most profitable (With A-10C second). The best chances marketing-wise i guess it would had been to replace LockOn or evolve it to DCS World / EDGE still offering the jets LockOn does, in whatever realism level (and keep updating each one together with new additions) , and keep working in that direction. No one would had missed P-51 or Huey ( except maybe some backstage rich funder pulling some strings in ED for personal quirks? TFC? ).

A wild proposal for the popular DCS guessings game:

DCS: Transformers : Huey as disguised A(utobot)H-64 (after release of Decepticon CH-53)

Edited by squid

If I had to choose between FC3 and the UH-1H + P-51D, I would take the latter.

I have had Lockon/FC/FC2 for years and haven't played it much, simply because I have no interest in 90's air combat.

I can fly the F-15 and A-10 or contemporary F-16 and F/A-18 in numerous sims, some of them to a DCS level of detail: Jane's F-15, Jane's F/A-18, Falcon 4.

There has never been a true UH-1 sim (OFP/ArmA2 is almost the only immersive one).

The P-51D represents one of the most famous/popular aircraft of all time.

To have the Mustang modeled to a DCS level where it has comparable systems and flight modeling to the A2A P-51D for FSX and fully functional combat is a real treat.

I prefer the spread of aircraft being tackled by all of the 3rd parties to a few of '90s to 21st century fighters I already have and hardly ever fly.

So, I guess it is good to be me... and those wanting the FC3 stuff will still have their day too.

F-15E, F/A-18 is multiple flavors, etc.

The only area coming up short is Soviet/Russian aircraft, and I get a big win there with the MiG-21bis, presumably followed by a MiG-23 :)

Still waiting to see what modern US aircraft ED is providing (presumably F/A-18 ?).