Ok so here goes, I play alot of single mission and instant action and I feel as though I have honed my skills enough to begin the campaigns but I'm not sure which one I should go with. I have all SF2 packs + expansions + some extra planes downloaded from here.

My issue is that I'm used to the cheap and easy laser guided AGM's and heat seeking rockets of the modern day jets and the campaigns that are offered are set at earliest 1980 something where the fighter jets are armed only with reasonably basic weapons and so forth.

So what I was asking, is there a campaign that is set in the modern times (2000 onwards) where I can fly modern day jets? Or is there an option or something that will allow me to access these weapons for the preset campaigns?

I suggest getting the NATO Fighters mod. It covers the entire period from the 1950s to the 1980s. Here's my interpretations of the campaigns

1953- Korean War style dogfights (F-86)

1956- Supersonic era (F-100)

1962- Early missile age (Mirage III)

1968- Early BVR and LGB age (F-4)

1979- Modern air combat (F-15, F-16)

1986- Ultimate showdown (Mig-29, Su-27)

In my book, if you are looking for AG missions that have TV guided missiles and Laser Guided Bombs, I suggest playing the 1979 campaign. It refines the weapons of 1968 and you have an F-16 that can roflstomp anything that flies at the time.

If you want a bigger challenge, you can also do the 1986 campaign. Same weapons but deadlier opponents.

I recommend you try the desert campaign as a mercenary. I've played through that campaign more than all the rest I've got installed combined.

You start off in an F-100, which has all the acceleration and maneuverability of a school bus stuck in a blizzard, you've got hilariously unreliable missiles, no bombing aids, and only the simplest air to ground weapons. I promise that after a few missions in this era you'll never take modern jets and weapons for granted again. It's a long campaign, and you'll definitely feel a sense of progression.

Anyway, here's the fun part-- As a mercenary, you earn money for scoring kills and completing missions, allowing you to buy newer aircraft and weapons as they become available. These include the stock stuff plus nearly any flyable mods you've installed. And you can outfit your squadron however you like with whatever you buy. For example, I often found myself flying in an F-5 (which can at least turn with the MiGs), with my wingman in a Phantom, and took numbers 3 and 4 in Skyhawks for strike missions.

The desert campaigns only covers 1959 and 1975. They all got a mercenary campaign that is fun to fly in. It gets even better if you have 3rd party aircraft because the are included in the mercenary purchases.

The game is open ended in terms of story so modding the starting year won't make the campaign awkward. Just be aware that buying an F-22 as a merc cost more than 300k, and the fact that most merc missions ends up earning 30k tops.

• Like 1

Try downloading the Desert Storm Mod or the OP Darius Mods available here Desert Storm is as expected and Op Darius is based from 2012 with all the missiles and AGM's LGB's you could ask for...

Guided weapons?! What are those?! LOL

If you want to build your capabilities, like others have said, start in the earliest campaign you can and work up to the fancy guided weapons. #1, install NATO Fighters 5+. Then do an F-86 campaign, its fairly easy, gets you used to having to plan things out more carefully..then try the F-100 campaigns...now those are a challenge! Finally, a F-4 campaign. All of these will really hone your skills and give a lot of respect for the fancy guided weapons.

• Like 1

pratice pratice make perfect

attachment=88550:img00008.JPG

the bomb was made whit shalow dive at medium to low altitude fired at very-low altitude and a sharp pull up to clear the explosion all made by feel and eye

riple was set to 2

mils to 100

drop at well about 0.5 or less nm wend felt it was time

this his old scholl bombing

Edited by cocas

Try downloading the Desert Storm Mod or the OP Darius Mods available here Desert Storm is as expected and Op Darius is based from 2012 with all the missiles and AGM's LGB's you could ask for...

Downloaded the Operation Darius which expanded to a whopping 10gigs. I tried to play but it kept choking up and freezing my computer even when I was just playing SF2 North Atlantic so it had to go. (Besides I needed the space)

The desert campaigns only covers 1959 and 1975. They all got a mercenary campaign that is fun to fly in. It gets even better if you have 3rd party aircraft because the are included in the mercenary purchases.

The game is open ended in terms of story so modding the starting year won't make the campaign awkward. Just be aware that buying an F-22 as a merc cost more than 300k, and the fact that most merc missions ends up earning 30k tops.

Interesting idea, will give it a try. Didn't realise you could choose a faction to fight for haha (shows how much I play campaign)