Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

And we are back...

Okay it has been awhile since I have taken to the virtual skies in OFF/HiTR as Real life intruded as Spring Summer and Motorbikes go together very well... So I have a few questions for you knowledgeable folks... This is going to sound a shade lazy I will admit but I am preparing my PC for Winter nights etc... What are the best mods available out there ? I noticed that there are a few FM mods which look interesting do they cover all aircraft or just some as most of you know I have a habit of flying Strutter's about and causing problems for the sausage eaters with those things... Outside of this is there anything else I should look out for besides WOFF!!! any hints or clues to a date ???

Anyway took up my little Strutter last night for a check flight and it still flies just as well...

Welcome back, Slarti.

If you are interested in some mods, there are a couple out there. :grin:

In the area of DM mods, the latest vesion of my DM mod is UltimateDM_1.25. Buddy99 also has a DM mod that is primarily based on my DM mod but seems to do a better job at getting rid of "flying flamers." although there are a few things I still prefer with my mod.

As far as the FM is concerned, I am the only one I know of who has been doing any work in that area. Originally, I started out with FM mods just for individual airplanes such as the N28, Pfalz, the Albatros series, etc., but now I have branched out to more of an all-encomposing FM mod that includes virtually all of the planes in OFF and HiTR. My latest FM version is HPW FM and EW Campaign Mod 3.0. This mod corrects the "crash on takeoff bug" that afflicted earlier versions of 33Lima's and my own empty weight mod, and adds several major updates and tweaks to several more aircraft in OFF. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view :wink: ), the Sopwith Strutter B1 and A models are two planes that I left alone for the most part. In general, I spent most of my FM modding on scouts rather than two-seaters, with the exception of a few minor adjustments in terms of drag, roll, and adjusting the empty weight of a few of the two-seaters (but not the Strutter's). I don't fly two-seaters too often, so if there is anything that you feel is not historically right about either of the Strutters I will be happy to look into it.

One thing I did with the FM that I have applied to ALL of the planes in OFF (including Strutters) are several adjustments to the .air file that are designed to improve the AI's flying behavior in dogfights and when flying at low altitude. Although I think I have made a lot of progress in this regard, I am always looking for feedback from users.

There are also a bunch of "little" mods, such as news, weather, and mission mods, along with other mods that modify sounds and tracers, etc. Finally, in the area of "role playing mods," nothing, of course, can beat Lothar of the Hill People's Office mod. In addition to the role playing function, which is based on the 3P rules developed by Bluevoss and others originally for Red Baron 3D and subsequently revised and updated by Bletchley, Lothar has added some functionality which makes it much easier to mix and match a number of your favorite mods, based upon your preferences.

Also, don't forget JoneSoft's Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME), which makes the process of installing, enabling, disabling, and uninstalling mods a snap! That should be enough to get you started. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche