Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Pics of the Planes at the USAF Museum

Interesting Pics... Must admit that place is on my list of Museums I want to visit...

What a fine presentation of these aircraft! Great pics, Dave!

I may have seen some of them, but never all of them.

Now look at that Halberstadt Cl. IV - a rare craft.

Look at that beautiful SPAD!

Thanks for posting, Dave!

You're welcome guys. The museum is very hard to shoot pics in and after messing with the shutter speed I was able to get the lighting down perfect.

I wonder if you had to shoot them from hands (no tripod)?

In that lighting (which is like in a British gentlemen's club) that would be very difficult.

Anyway - they are a great series of WW1 plane photographies.

PS - In case anyone doesn't know: after clicking on a pic and getting it enlarged,

you can click on it again to receive the full size view of them.

I wonder if you had to shoot them from hands (no tripod)?

In that lighting (which is like in a British gentlemen's club) that would be very difficult.

Anyway - they are a great series of WW1 plane photographies.

Yes I had to use a tripod, and I used the timer so I wouldnt move the camera when clicking it.

This is why I tell my beloved Wing Commander and comptroller that I really need a good dSLR - preferably with effective "film" speeds up to ISO 12800... just sayin'... Beautiful shots, Dave!

Back when the kids were still home, I used a professional Kodak 3200 film pushed to 6400 to shoot concert pics without a flash. Others had their cameras taken!

Dave, you did a great job with the pictures!!

I live here in dayton town, and going to the AF Museum is something I can do anytime..

And with the size of this museum it does take a couple of trips to see it all now..

Thanks for sharing these..Bravo!!

Dave, you did a great job with the pictures!!

I live here in dayton town, and going to the AF Museum is something I can do anytime..

And with the size of this museum it does take a couple of trips to see it all now..

Thanks for sharing these..Bravo!!

I love 5 miles from the museum. Work over at Wright Pat.

I've been there for both business and (long ago) pleasure. Just ran across pictures I took at the museum when I was a kid - probably 40 years ago now!

I was there last August - visiting an ex-RAF Halton apprentice friend from 1966-8. Most of the holiday was spent with friends in Bloomfield Hills Michigan and right at the North of Michigan on the lake.

My mate still works on aircraft whereas I haven't touched one since 1976 (to work on, that is). He lives in Hillsboro and works at the airfield that used to be DHL before they pulled out of the states.

The lighting is a bit difficult in the museum, but they do warn you about the 'white balance' problem. Unfortunately I only read the warning on leaving! Here are my photos, not all of WWI aircraft of course. The most impressive is the B36 which must be seen to be believed. It would take a few days to do a plug change!

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/JimAttrill/USAF%20Museum/

Here is a link for the Virtual tour for the U.S. Air Force Museun ..

It is a wonderful way to see all of this..

Enjoy..

http://www.nmusafvir...l/tour-std.html

Dave, we shall have to get together one day at the Museun..

Bravo..

Edited by HouseHobbit

Is Wright Pat still an active base. I went thru the Air Museum in 1970 when we came back from a 3 year tour in Germany. They hadn't got all the planes under roofs yet. I still remember standing under the nose of the B-70 and looking up and wondering what kind of stand the Air Force had so the crew could get up to the hatch. That was a long way up. And the engine intakes seemed tall enuf for a guy to stand up in. I remember seeing a Japanese Zero inside and I think it was the German rocket fighter brought out in WW2 that I saw outside. And speaking of B-36's, I saw them from the inside out down at Roswell, NM, in 1957. I remember walking out inside the wing to hookup the wiring to a starter or generator. Can't remember which. Shortly thereafter, the B-52's started arriving.

Edited by waco1937

Wright-Pat is still active, but no air operations.. We did a custom motor design for the propulsion lab a few years back.

My goodness, WALKING inside a wing?! You could stand upright? :yikes:

Dave;

I'm late to this thread but have to also agree that these are great shots!! Thanks for including the Camel (My favorite beastie! Treat her like a lady and she flies like one, Treat her rought and she will undo you quickly!).

All the best!