Hello, guys

Recently I've been messing around with the old F-15 ACTIVE. I made some skins for it and experienced a strange problem. It looks like this:

1672i6f.jpg

33bgwlg.jpg

2lo0xvm.jpg

These two decals aren't made by me, they come from the Strike Eagle. Here is the Decals.INI entry for them:

[Decal001]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-15F/335FS/d/4WG

Position=0.85,0

Scale=0.7

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal002]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-15F/335FS/d/CHIEF

Position=0.85,0

Scale=0.6

DecalMaxLOD=4

Does anyone know why the decals are distorted and visible on the bottom of the fuselage?

Edited by DoctorWho

try changing the decal level and decalmaxlod values. esp might want to make the decal a 2 level and number it corresponding the squadron in the squadronlist (336th is 043 as i recall). had a similar issue few years back but havent messed with eagles and dont recall how it was fixed. sorry cant be more helpful.....

LOL, you copycat :grin: I had the same issue when I did this too - It's because it's an old SF1 3D model and, like Cocas said, old models can have "bleeding" decal issues (had the same issues myself with this model/Sea Harrier etc). If you look at the original skins and decals you'll see that the problem is there even on the original.

xf-15f09.jpg

Use these positions to get rid of the bleed through, it's not perfect (a bit too high) but thats the best you can do. Infact the right side decal can be lowered to -0.06 before it bleeds if you want to try that -

[Decal001]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-15F/335/d/4WG

Position=0.45,-0.04

Scale=0.7

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal002]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-15F/335/d/CHIEF

Position=0.45,-0.04

Scale=0.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

xf-15f10.jpg

xf-15f11.jpg

Edited by ianh755

Actually, the distortion is a 'bleed' issue...I thought that was solved when the 'Decal' version of the LOD was exported...I'll have to check.

The 'duplication' of the decal is a whole other issue which is inherent in the way the sim handles decals.

The best way to explain it is this...you notice how a lot of models, the intake interiors are a seperate mesh from the intake exteriors. The reason is because of the decal issue. Basically, in the decal ini, the engine will attempt to place that decal on every polygon in that position, on that mesh that faces that direction listed in the DecalFacing line.

Unfortunately, for complex shapes like the intake area, the only way to resolve it is to break up the mesh (which may result in ugly seam lines) or to paint the decals on the skin. Sometimes, the position can be jiggered a bit to avoid the issue.

The 'bleeding distortion' on the other hand, can only be fixed by reexporting the LOD file.

FC

• Like 1

Looks like there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just paint the decals directly on the skin.