Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

F-8K Crusader DLC released

well it certainly makes a Greek Corsair 2 look better now doesnt it? :biggrin: personally still waitin on slotted stab patch for the N......

Love any kind of F-8 and the K is a rare one.

img00044.JPG

can't go far wrong at the price!

Bullpup capable?

According to TW on the FB page, though the wiki entry says they were, no photographs seen ever show K's carrying Bullpups or having the distinctive dorsal hump the Bullpup carriers need for the avionics.

I personally have no idea...any 'Sader heads know the real scoop?

FC

Along the same lines, the F-8J is supposed to have wet pylons according to WikiP, but I have found no photos of them carrying tanks in a (limited) image search. But, I sure wouldn't mind a little extra range when flying the Crusader...

We don't need no Bullpups - functioning roll-spoilers would be a start, though...

I'll get out my books and look it all up.

wouldn't think so. by that time every one was ditching Bullpups as worthless.

Ok, from my Steve Ginter book I have surmised the following:

No hump, no bullpup. However it appears the could be fitted with the hump at anytime. But as DA just pointed out by the time the K was entering service the Bullpup was considered a terd and not being used very often. I say this because there are some pictures in my book of F-8E's without the hump. As far as drop tanks go, only the J was plumed for them.

When the refurbished Saders came back on the line, the Bullpup was already considered suicidal (an airplane flying a very predictable path to guide it's hand-controlled weapon).

As far as I can see, most Refurbisaders went to reserve or non-frontline units, as the Saders were already in process of being phased-out during the mid-late 60s.

Is there actually any picture showing a Crusader carrying a Bullpup, that is not associated with flight-testing?

I only know pictures with Zunis (flak-suppression) or Zunis+bombs (CAS).

Edited by Toryu

When the refurbished Saders came back on the line, the Bullpup was already considered suicidal (an airplane flying a very predictable path to guide it's hand-controlled weapon).

As far as I can see, most Refurbisaders went to reserve or non-frontline units, as the Saders were already in process of being phased-out during the mid-late 60s.

Is there actually any picture showing a Crusader carrying a Bullpup, that is not associated with flight-testing?

I only know pictures with Zunis (flak-suppression) or Zunis+bombs (CAS).

I have several in my Ginter book. Even one on the cat.

well go ahead and fix it for bullpup sir. i for one wont use em! :biggrin:

Edited by daddyairplanes

Has anybody actually ever hit anything with a Bullpup in-game? :blink:

Is it even controllable?

Edited by Toryu

Is it even controllable?

Good question, I have the same problem ("hard mode")

I play in Hard mode and as to the Bullpup I treat it like a laser guided bomb but give it a lot more time to aquire... normal 10000ft or so pointing at the target around 6nm out and then fire the thing stay pointing at the target and sometimes it hits sometimes it misses... Using an A-4E I usually get 2 hits from 5 launches... reliable it aint much easier to go in and use bombs or rockets hell I would rather strafe than use that thing...

I play in Hard mode and as to the Bullpup I treat it like a laser guided bomb but give it a lot more time to aquire... normal 10000ft or so pointing at the target around 6nm out and then fire the thing stay pointing at the target and sometimes it hits sometimes it misses... Using an A-4E I usually get 2 hits from 5 launches... reliable it aint much easier to go in and use bombs or rockets hell I would rather strafe than use that thing...

Thank you, I will try this

Can you hit all types of targets ?

Edited by jeanba

Well you can't blame that on Third Wire as it's not a stock weapon.

What do yall expect me to do? Learn how to dive bomb? ;)

Not dive bombing. Level bombing, Dive bombing, toss bombing, orbit bombing, photo bombing, glitter bombing. TV Homing, GPS, Laser designation, CCIP, Diane, rule of thumb, KamiKaze, prayers. Each one has to figure out his way, wichever fits you best. So yes, dive bombing. Best way.

• Like 1