Sign in to follow this  
PureBlue

SF2NA: Problem in terrain masking for radar evasion?

These two ships, a Kresta (U in RWR) and a Type 053 (FF) can paint me on radar even behind two mountain ridges.

They can lock me up and keep firing at me even after running a while behind this obstacle. Also the ZSU is on my RWR, to the Right, which is actually on the airfield to the right, couple more ridges away, at sea

level. Sure the missiles are not hitting me but it looks like there could be problem with terrain masking the radar signals?

SF2NA, Jul2012, all settings including terrain detail on highest.

post-30257-0-44177100-1350916791_thumb.jpg

Did you try it on the old style terrains? I think it might have something to do with that...

see, new "terrain" is not really a terrain, it's just "nice" mesh you can run into and go boom, apparently not threated as one by game logic system... (it's porked) just saying

Just tried the same mission and profile with Gerwins Old style Iceland, things worked as expected. Clear RWR when terrain masking..

They would still fire a few missiles after I duck but that could be expected I guess.

Thats not good - needs a bit more development................

This is definitely one of those 'Be careful what you wish for...' things.

Now, let me be clear, I am not blaming ANYONE (well, other than TK for gotchas like this)...but this is one of those things that I wished we hadn't kept pressing on about.

I assume that a lot of time and money was spent in development of this new terrain engine, but other than the new water effects, there hasn't been much benefit. Folks are a lot happier about the F-14 avionics, and new cruise missile and naval combat changes (plus all the new models).

It kind of reminds me of when we kept wanting a mission editor, but then when he makes one, nobody buys it (except as part of Exp2). As a developer, I'd be disappointed if invest time and money into something no one buys. Packaging it as part of Exp2 was the smarter option...at least money people spend getting new planes help offset the mission editor development cost.

Heck, at this point, I'd be happier if he went back to the old terrain engine, but somehow kept the new water and all the other SF2NA changes. Framerates would improve, and I doubt any of the casual buyers would notice (especially if he bought gerwin's 'old style' terrain for a one time fee).

FC

Harold let me shamelessly quote myself here:

see, new "terrain" is not really a terrain, it's just "nice" mesh you can run into and go boom, apparently not threated as one by game logic system... (it's porked) just saying

edit:

above goes as far as explanation to Umut's old_vs_new experiences too...

Edited by Stary

Third Wire has turned into a Monkey's Paw.

You will get what you wish for, but you will certainly gets something you don't want or expect in return.

• Like 6

This is definitely one of those 'Be careful what you wish for...' things.

Now, let me be clear, I am not blaming ANYONE (well, other than TK for gotchas like this)...but this is one of those things that I wished we hadn't kept pressing on about.

It kind of reminds me of when we kept wanting a mission editor, but then when he makes one, nobody buys it (except as part of Exp2). As a developer, I'd be disappointed if invest time and money into something no one buys. Packaging it as part of Exp2 was the smarter option...at least money people spend getting new planes help offset the mission editor development cost.

FC

No one is buying the mission editor? I think the problem there is that it has a history of problems and bugs. There are a few threads on this forum that one can look at to see what I mean. I bought it ages ago but since one had to hassle with it to get it working with modded or older terrains and it would only work with the (then) latest patches (which sucked)... I just used le missioneur instead. When SF2NA came out the editor was totally hosed on that game and when the latest patches introduced a stutter that made the game unplayable I made the choice to go back to the April patch.... it does not work right with the editor.

On the other hand, something like a radar horizon (?) seems to be simulated.

When attacking a carrier group in open water, the lower I fly the later I will be detected (RWR signature verifies this). The curvature of the earth?...

The radar horizon height depends on my altitude..

Was it like this in previous games? Need to double check it.

Edited by PureBlue

When attacking a carrier group in open water, the lower I fly the later I will be detected (RWR signature verifies this). The curvature of the earth?...

Or SAM radars hard locked from looking down, just like the flak. Even before TK dumbed down CAG defenses and made Kiev strikes piss easy, staying low would keep you out of any trouble, even on P-51.