Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

50 years ago this week

The Cuban Missile Crisis ...

Oh yeah Sierra Hotel!

Edited by MAKO69
  • Like 1

Noooooooo! I want to see the whole movie now! Man that was cool. Sure a LOT of flak flyin up :minigun:

I bet you have have flown that same mission a 100 times in SF2. Just watched the movie too

Good movie for the flying scenes etc... and I must admit I have watched it numerous times...

On the Crisis though its scary to think about what may have happened and then you think how many of us on here would be around now...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Luckily good ol' Nikita didn't think Cuba was worth getting nuked over.

As the analysts said decades later, though, the Soviet threat at the time wasn't nearly what many thought it was. The USSR likely would've been eradicated, but the West would not have. Now what the long-term effects of that many nukes going off would've been, well... Let's just say I don't think those in the US or Western Europe would've been that much worse off than those in Brazil or South Africa. The world would be an irradiated mess, but life would go on.

Let's just say I don't think those in the US or Western Europe would've been that much worse off than those in Brazil or South Africa. The world would be an irradiated mess, but life would go on.

Don't know buddy, I was going through some models and possibilities about such scenarios while they would be impacted for sure, being far away from the blast zones helps A LOT. By the time air currents would bring the harmful particles to them many of them would already decompose so fallout problems probably wouldn't be as high as in areas of blast zones...

We agree that it was better that not a single effing nuke was given that October, do we?

• Like 1

I'm more concerned with the future and nukes in Asia, frankly.

Oh yeah Sierra Hotel!

Brilliant - not seen that before :beach:

Good movie for the flying scenes etc... and I must admit I have watched it numerous times...

On the Crisis though its scary to think about what may have happened and then you think how many of us on here would be around now...

We were closer than you have ever thought

http://combatace.com/topic/75500-able-archer-1983-the-brink/

Mako... this I know seen this movie a few times as well as studying it all...

And i say, the Soviets won the Cuba Crisis.

51xlFZwRpdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just finished it yesterday...

Nobody won - maybe Cuba, or rather Castro himself.

Yes, pretty hard to say the USSR "won" when they were forced to back off in front of the world. They looked bad and the US looked good.

Granted they got the concession on the missiles in Turkey, which was what Nikita primarily wanted, but it was irrelevant. Those missiles would've meant the USSR was burned up once or twice MORE than they would have without them. Big deal.

The missiles in Cuba were a bigger deal because the Soviet long-range missile threat wasn't as great as the US one, plus it gave extra stuffing for Castro's shirt. However, it can be argued that they were also by and large irrelevant.

Why i say, the soviets won?

The american Jupiter C missiles in Turkey were strategic weapons in the eyes of the soviet leaders. They were a real danger for Moscow. So it was the major task to force the USA to remove this missiles. And it worked.

On the first view the USA won this crisis. The soviets had to retreat their missiles from Cuba. But the USA had to garantee not to intervene in Cuba and after a time of 2 years to retreat their missiles from Turkey. What the USA got and what the USSR got? Each side forced the other to remove their missiles, but the USA had to accept Castros Cuba. In football language 1:2 for the soviets.

Three years earlier there was a similar missile crisis in central europe. The USA placed Jupiter C missiles in GB. In 1960 the soviets placed missiles north of Berlin and leaked this information to UK with the clear warning, that this missiles were aiming on London. And the offer to retreat the missiles if the US missiles would disappear from british soil. And so it happend. The Jupiters were removed from UK and the soviet missiles from East Germany.

Edited by Gepard

The US wanted to remove their Jupiters anyway. They had just switched to sub-launched ICBMs as nuclear deterrent.

The liquid-fuelled Jupiters were pretty much yesterday's technology in 1962. They took a couple of hors to prepare before launch. By the time they were ready, the bunkers would have aleady been destroyed by a first decapacitation-strike.

The missiles in Cuba were a hedge against future invasion-attempts. In the retratment-treaty, the US vowed to never attempt an invasion into Cuba.

=> Castro won.

The US actually didn't lok that good in those days. It had unlawfully intruded in USSR's airspace (proven by 1960's May-day shoot-down) and had unlawfully invaded Cuba (in a quite fuile attempt, but futility doesn't count as "ok" anyway). The Cuba Missile-Crisis was rather recovering the former trust into the US, than extending it from an already high value (as it's obviously percieved by some).

Did the USSR look good? Not really, as they openly lied in UN.

The Jupiter C missiles in Turkey were pieces of sh!t the us was going to remove them anyway

Hahaha brainwashed.

Edited by MAKO69

The Jupiter C missiles in Turkey were pieces of sh!t the us was going to remove them anyway

Hahaha brainwashed.

Bismarck said: its not a question of intention, its a question of ability.

Jupiter C was able to reach Moscow. So there were dangerous. That they were not high tech in 1962 is not to dispute. But they were on the same technical level as the soviet medium range missiles in Cuba.

Brainwashing is also done in the USA, day by day.

And had the missiles actually flown that day, neither the ones in Cuba nor the ones in Turkey would likely have launched, making them irrelevant. There were more than enough in the US and USSR to accomplish the job of destroying world civilization as it stood.

Again, only Castro "won" because it scared the US enough to not attempt another invasion. Bet Saddam would've loved to have had old Nikita in office in 2003, he'd likely still be there.

Bismarck said: its not a question of intention, its a question of ability.

Jupiter C was able to reach Moscow. So there were dangerous. That they were not high tech in 1962 is not to dispute. But they were on the same technical level as the soviet medium range missiles in Cuba.

Brainwashing is also done in the USA, day by day.

Ballistic missle tech was better on Russa's side that early in the game. The Jupiters may have reached their target 1 out of 10 times and that was on a good day, they were a stop gap until something better came along the BOOMER!. As for the the US version of the Soviet/Eastern Block brainwashing, it was more like propaganda, because people could get their news from several sources, not just the Govt. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, at least were I a grew up I wasn't brainwashed. I could have cared less about the Cold War. I'll I wanted to do was play with my GI JOE (Action Force for you Brits) guys and blow the sh!t out of the Commie terrorist military group COBRA, those bastards . HAHAHAHA, seriously though I could have cared less all I wanted to do was, play baseball, football, and when I got older drink beer and hang with the chicks.

P.S. ROCKY IV Rocks! DRAGOOOOOH!

Edited by MAKO69

So there were dangerous.

They were not "push a button and the nuclear war starts"-kind of weapons.

The needed to be fuelled and fired shortly afterwards.

Loading, fuelleing and preparing the missiles to launch could take up to 8hrs.

They were as dangerous as a taken-apart sniper-rifle at knife-distance.