Sign in to follow this  
elephant

Updating older Campaigns to SF2: NA Standard-any plans?

The Suez Mod and the SF2V Air and Ground War Mod comes into mind.

Any plans to be updated to SF2: NA Standard? (populated Carriers etc.)

don't know much about campaign inis, but adding the CV stations is less than 5 minutes work on the IMe water bmp; the relative locations for the carriers in Musketeer are know, or easily infered by aircraft range (read: short!!) Somewhere I had a map as to where the RN and FN task forces were....

elephant:

The Suez Mod will be updated to SF2NA standards. The SF2V Expansion Pack is more difficult, though -- the problems there were discussed earlier this year in a substantive thread. The real problem with SF2V is that the largest stock campaign (Rolling Thunder) is heavily dependent upon carrier tours -- that is, the same carriers making repeated appearances over the course of the three and a half years of Rolling Thunder.

At present I know of no way do carrier tours with SF2NA-style naval campaigns. Carrier groups have a single start date, a single retire date, and that's it. We need carrier groups with multiple start dates and retire dates.The alternative is a dozen of so carriers all active at the same time, all churning up the Gulf of Tonkin for the duration of Rolling Thunder. The result looks ridiculous. There are also potential performance problems on some users' machines.

It's an easier task to enable carrier groups for Single Missions --but that does involve duplicating both terrains in the Expansion Pack to create NavalMap-enabled versions of NorthVietnam and SouthVietnam.

Eric Howes

Thanks for the answers guys!

Eric, before updating the Suez Mod send me a PM.

I'm preparing a pilot pack for it.

post-10763-0-70309800-1351170355_thumb.jpg

elephant:

The Suez Mod will be updated to SF2NA standards. The SF2V Expansion Pack is more difficult, though -- the problems there were discussed earlier this year in a substantive thread. The real problem with SF2V is that the largest stock campaign (Rolling Thunder) is heavily dependent upon carrier tours -- that is, the same carriers making repeated appearances over the course of the three and a half years of Rolling Thunder.

At present I know of no way do carrier tours with SF2NA-style naval campaigns. Carrier groups have a single start date, a single retire date, and that's it. We need carrier groups with multiple start dates and retire dates.The alternative is a dozen of so carriers all active at the same time, all churning up the Gulf of Tonkin for the duration of Rolling Thunder. The result looks ridiculous. There are also potential performance problems on some users' machines.

It's an easier task to enable carrier groups for Single Missions --but that does involve duplicating both terrains in the Expansion Pack to create NavalMap-enabled versions of NorthVietnam and SouthVietnam.

Eric Howes

one tour one campaing?

like rolling thunder from A to B next C to D but envolse a lot work and the target destroy in tour A will show has not destroyed in Tour B

no realy way out i guess

Would this work?

For example create 3 different CVS-11 Intrepid NavalUnits covering the 3 tours on different dates.

Then set the squadrons to respective naval units depending on start dates.

Does the NavalUnit disappear when retirement comes?

Would this work?

For example create 3 different CVS-11 Intrepid NavalUnits covering the 3 tours on different dates.

Then set the squadrons to respective naval units depending on start dates.

Does the NavalUnit disappear when retirement comes?

that looks like good idea to me

Folks:

that looks like good idea to me

Sorry, but it sounds like an incredible PITA to me, even if the retirement dates issue worked out. In addition to creating multiple carrier battle groups for every carrier with multiple tours, you'd need to create multiple versions of each squadron, each differently named and with different start dates.

Keep in mind that there are currently 70 USN squadrons is the version of Rolling Thunder currently used in the SF2V Expansion Pack plus a few misc USMC squadrons that did carrier tours. You're effectively talking about tripling that squadron count.

And all that for what? Some moving ships that function as eye candy. I may add some static ships to carrier stations in an update, but I'm not very keen on bulking up the Rolling Thunder campaign with over 200 USN/USMC squadrons -- or maintaining such a campaign from one patch to another.

Eric Howes

OTC would be an awesome campaign to upgrade.

suhsjake:

OTC has been in the works for a while. Still needs some more work. The most difficult part has been the ground war, which requires the front line to bend in two opposite directions -- a difficult feat on on narrow island.

Eric Howes

I can feel the pain on that one!!!