Sign in to follow this  
warthog64

Huge Freakin Storm!

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone on the east coast.

I know the media always exaggerates these storms, but this situation looks pretty scary. Best of luck to everyone back east!

Edited by warthog64

Not to mention Hawaii. The first large waves from the Canadian earthquake are hitting the shores as I type this...

Hope they have time to move to a safer location(just in case).good luck!

hope things will calm down fast.. stay safe east coast guys (Hawaii too :))

Here we go agin !!!! Here in Jersey We are getting ready..hopefully it wont be as bad as they say, but we are taking precautions..to all my other Tristate friends..good luck and take care and be safe

winds are starting to pick up already ..they say may reach over 70 MPH

Good luck. The larger islands have again been hit. Hoping that this does not happen on densely populated areas.

Winds are around 25 MPH with gusts up to 35..yesterday was trash night picked up my trash can up the street this morning. Also the rain started.

Wll at least we kinda lucked out, just a mile from the mandatory evacuation area.

Too bad you guys don't live in Florida, it was a real snoozer here! Just 55+mph winds or so for just over a day. All of one county closed the schools!

So, the fan is hitting the s**t massively already... damn, this is going to be a long week for a lot of people.

Jedi,

Have you ever experienced a Nor'easter? We're lucky in that this did not occur late enough in the year to get frozen percipitation. One that hit five years ago (in late February) coated all stationary objects with several inches of ice, and knocked out the power in my complex for the better part of a week. It also packed 60 mph gusts.

The eye-wall of Sandy is expected to come ashore less than twenty miles south of me. The last estimate was for sustained catagory one winds on the coast, and 80-mph gusts inland (I live 7 miles inland, and 90 feet above sea level).

Our real worry here is flooding. We live near a resevoir that's feed by literally dozens of creeks. That resevoir was built by damming the Manasquan River, which flows into the Atlantic. As the storm surge hits, the lower Manasquan will of course overflow, as the storm is expected to hit at high tide. They have already evacuated people from the barrier islands south of Manasquan Inlet.

Anyhow, the normal protocol for the resevoir overflowing its banks, is to release water into the Manasquan River. Well, how can you release water into an already overflowing river? So, guess what? All those creeks that feed the resevoir overflow their banks, which is what occurred with Tropical Storm Irene last year. You do remember the images I posted from that minor event, right?

Edited by Fubar512

Speaking of flooding http://gizmodo.com/5955689/sandy-could-really-flood-the-new-york-subway-system?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

some of the oldest pumps in the NYCTA system were bought second-hand from the builders of the Panama Canal

Wow, and I thought Soviet equipment we have here was old...

Viper, the NY MTA has a few pieces of equipment that date back almost a hundred years. They just keep refurbishing it, as nothing comperable (read that as reliable) is manufactured today.

one foot of water on the streets..hackensack river starting to overflow..oh boy this is going to be bad

Fubar..Bergen County here

Heard a huge thud, Tree just destoyed a fence across the street,,and we dont have the full brunt of it yet...

Heard a huge thud, Tree just destoyed a fence across the street,,and we dont have the full brunt of it yet...

be carefull man!