Sign in to follow this  
BirdDogICT

Upgraded My Machine - Now Where's WOFF?

I just upgraded my two year old budget AM3 build with

• Faster quad core running at 4.0 MHz (compared to a dual core running at 3.4. FWIW, extra cores don't make any difference, as OFF uses only one core, but raw speed matters);
  • ATI 7870 graphics card (upgrading from an ATI 5770 doubled my GPU performance).

I am now running everything on max graphics settings and am blown away by how much better the experience is. Winder's scenery is amazing. And more computing power seems to make the aircraft flight models more challenging and realistic.

Can't wait for WOFF now!!

Sounds nice! I know when I finally pulled the trigger last year for the build in my siggie, I couldn't believe it either. Now I feel for Winder, Pol, and all the rest, and I hope they can have a nice holiday season - but hopefully it will be nice because we'll be sending them checks and raving about how nice their new creation is. I'd hate for them to miss the Thanksgiving/Christmas season because they're stuck unravelling some gnarly code; it'd be tough for them both personally and commercially, I'm sure.

Good luck and happy sailing with your new rig! And hang in there, devs, we're pulling for you!

Best,

Tom

This is a good step forward, and it even gives you a new OFF, while you wait.

That's great, isn't it?

Please report about the 7870 - I'm thinking of getting that card too.

After my pooter was struck by lightning (a common thing in SA) I splashed out on a Gigabyte mobo and an AMD 965 quad-core running at 3.2 Ghz, now clocked to 3.8 reliably. My video isn't so wonderful due to money but I have a 6470 (I think). Well, it's better than the 4350 or whatever I had before and is quieter with no fan. My old ASUS card sounded like a Boeing 747. The new one is by CLUB, the cheapest for that spec I could find. Dutch company, but the card is made in China of course.

Hang in there BirdDog, I understand WOFF will be ready in 2 weeks. :wink:

Tony

Exactly, Tony! Good you reminded me! After the first ten days I must have lost count!

Mmuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

This is a good step forward, and it even gives you a new OFF, while you wait.

That's great, isn't it?

Please report about the 7870 - I'm thinking of getting that card too.

Olham;

I also ordered it just recently and am awaiting it's delivery so I will keep you informed as well. It will be going on my Intel I7 board which I use now.

Olham,

Now that the prices on the 7870 have come down, they give a lot of bang for the buck (I paid $209.99 after rebate for a XFX Double Dissipation). Whisper quiet, even at full load. Doesn't require a lot of power, either. My 750W power supply has plenty of power to spare.

I'm running all sliders at 5, no tweaks, Workshop settings at max, and my Catalyst settings are 8X AA, 8X AF, Catalyst AI at High Quality, Super-sample AA, and get 35-40 FPS sitting on the runway, and 50-60 in the air. If I turn the AA down to Multi-Sample, and Workshop ground object density to medium, FPS stays near 60 in flight and never drops below 40.

Your mileage may vary, but the 7870 was a very dramatic improvement in performance and enjoyment.

I just upgraded my two year old budget AM3 build with

• Faster quad core running at 4.0 MHz (compared to a dual core running at 3.4. FWIW, extra cores don't make any difference, as OFF uses only one core, but raw speed matters);
  • ATI 7870 graphics card (upgrading from an ATI 5770 doubled my GPU performance).

I am now running everything on max graphics settings and am blown away by how much better the experience is. Winder's scenery is amazing. And more computing power seems to make the aircraft flight models more challenging and realistic.

Can't wait for WOFF now!!

Yes! I just added a Saphire HD7870 card to My Intel i7 processor on an Intel DX58SO board and have noticed tremendoous improvement in graphics and more so in the sim performance. My old graphics card was a Saphire HD4870 and I thought it was good but not close to the HD7870.

rjw, now that you have a great graphic card, you should use it correct.

The rigging wires in your photos show, that you don't use a good Anti-Aliasing.

When you right-click on your desktop, you will get a menue with the Catalyst Control Center.

There go to 3D applications/games, and pick the highest settings for everything -

the card should perform it all.

rjw, now that you have a great graphic card, you should use it correct.

The rigging wires in your photos show, that you don't use a good Anti-Aliasing.

When you right-click on your desktop, you will get a menue with the Catalyst Control Center.

There go to 3D applications/games, and pick the highest settings for everything -

the card should perform it all.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I have made the changes you suggested and here is the results:

Now, isn't THAT more like your new card? Now you only lack some nicer weather. :beach: