FastCargo

Look at the size of that...buyout...

Good grief. Starting to remind me of all the mergers in the aviation industry...

Disney, if you want to buy my loyalty to this, you will make TIE Fighter 2.

I would just be happy if they made XWing (with all the expansions) and Tie Fighter with a modern graphics engine. Don't change the storyline or general composition of the missions.

There are so many games that would be just fine with that...no changed storylines, missions, reboots, etc.

FC

They're buying Lucasfilm, and thus get Lucasarts, however I doubt Disney cares about Lucasarts and I doubt we'd like what will come out of it...

As for Lucasfilm ?

Star Wars Episode VII already planned for 2015... yeah... right...

A Monkey Island Pixar movie I'd be interested in, but a Disneyfied Star Wars, after the fiasco that Episodes I to III were ? No thank you very much...

I would be happy if they just released a FPS where every bad guy was Jar Jar binks

I'm taking a wait and see. After all, the Avengers movie franchise (including the various lead ups) as a whole has done well and made some pretty decent flicks...with some exceptions of course.

FC

I would be happy if they just released a FPS where every bad guy was Jar Jar binks

oh no mee'sa thinks ura funny

Dear God ! Nooooo.... :blink: Whats worse than Lucas` control freak fueled garbage prequels, is Disney. Disney is notorious for merchandising the s**t out of their franchises. It's likely the new movies will follow in the trend of the prequels. Expect more Jar style characters and the further rape of Star Wars, left to die in a ditch. Star Wars died when the first POS prequel was made. Frak the 3D 2012 re-re-re release Star Wars. Do you really want to see Jar Jar in 3D huh do you :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

Blur studios did an awesome job of what any new Star Wars should be like, check the awesome video below. You will not be disappointed. If they can do it, then why couldn`t Double chin Jabba Lucas, I doubt Disney will. It will be Uber kid friendly. Now I have to take leave and cry in the corner like a girly man. Hope you guys enjoy the video.

Edit:- Some of you may have seen just the one part of the video but its the best 15 mins of the franchise which is new. Espcially the Jedi Temple fight.

I thought it was just Lucas films and that Lucas Arts is still fat boy Georges thing. Disney will do to Star Wars and Indiana Jones (yes they got that as well since its Lucas films) what George and Spielberg did to Indiana in the South Park video i.e his rape.

Btw, 4 billion really ! Pixar sold for roughly 7 billion. One would have hoped Jabba would have milked more out of it. Pity that Star Wars and Indiana were worth only 4 billiion.

Edited by Atreides

This is what you can expect from Disney Lucas allowed this to happen and Disney will take ten level higher. The fact that Vader is dancing to Deadmau5 doesn`t make it better. Really like Deadmau5.

Hahaha Angry Joe is an awesome hilarious game reviewer and this video is for kicks.

Children friendly Star Wars to hell with that crap. Lock the kids in the basement, throw away the keys. Okay I`m done.

Edited by Atreides

And now that the ranting is over, a more considered opinion on the buyout:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/10/30/quick-thoughts-on-disney-buying-lucasfilm/

Considering the track record both properties have overall compared to Lucasfilm in the past several years, I think any thoughts of overall franchise harm is premature.

And...who thinks Ep 7 directed by Joss Whedon would be a bad thing...

FC

I'm frankly surprised anyone thinks this is bad. Lucas "ruined" the prequels, but someone else can do worse? Really? This is also only 4 billion because unlike Pixar, Lucas 100% owns Lucasfilm. So he just made $4 billion for himself.

Go to Disney World for the past 20 years and it's been Star Wars everywhere. Star Tours, Mickey Skywalker, Goofy-PO, etc.

And Star Wars was ALWAYS for kids. Always. If you ever believed different, you were wrong. Maybe adults liked it too, but that was an accident. Star Wars was a modern take on the 30s SF serials like Buck Rogers. How many adults in the 30s liked them? Not many.

Same thing with Marvel.

So while there's no guarantee things will improve, I'd say it really has little chance of getting worse. There are ALREADY more Star Wars toys and other merchandise out there than one person could ever own. It doesn't get any more commercialized than SW, no one in the last 35 years has even come close. Not even Harry Potter, as the toy market for that was far smaller. The books and films made a lot, but the rest is far inferior to what SW has pulled down.

• Like 2

There are ALREADY more Star Wars toys and other merchandise out there than one person could ever own.

Some people do try however :big_boss:

And Star Wars was ALWAYS for kids. Always. If you ever believed different, you were wrong. Maybe adults liked it too, but that was an accident.

I am not convinced "accident" is a proper word. There are movies who work for several or all age groups. Star Wars is clearly one of them and the original trilogy is Space Opera at its finest. While I agree its a take on the old 30s flicks, I still feel "accident" is a very inappropriate term for it. I discovered the movies myself while 7-8 years old so I have grown up with it with my small Star Wars collection mostly being trying to re-collect what I lost.

It does not prevent me from loving the crap out of the games, especially the X-Wing Series. Same with the X-Wing series of books.

Also, Joss Whedon + Thrawn Trilogy done right seems to be the current Star Wars Nerd Fantasy atm. If that happens, I would be so hyped words would be unable to convey it.

• Like 1

Another trilogy and then new movies every 2-3 years? Talk about milking a cash cow!

Unless they mess them up really bad I'll still go to see them though.

And what JM said about the SW rides at the Disney theme parks is right. Because I went on the ride in Florida back in the 1980s I must admit I thought Lucas had already done the deal with Disney many years ago.

btw is the planned SW tv series still on or has it been shelved in favour of new movies?

And could we see some Disney produced Indy movies too?

Another trilogy and then new movies every 2-3 years? Talk about milking a cash cow!

Unless they mess them up really bad I'll still go to see them though.

And what JM said about the SW rides at the Disney theme parks is right. Because I went on the ride in Florida back in the 1980s I must admit I thought Lucas had already done the deal with Disney many years ago.

btw is the planned SW tv series still on or has it been shelved in favour of new movies?

And could we see some Disney produced Indy movies too?

Indy is on the table, but on hold. SW is the prime focus right now. That leads me to believe when Indy does come back, Ford will not be involved at all. Most likely the role will be recast (which frankly was inevitable).

The TV series in on indefinite hold. The problem is Lucas has made movies his whole life. So "hour long" scripts are more like "1/2 movies". While a film costing $100m is no big deal anymore, can you imagine a TV series with $30m+ per episode??

They were waiting until they found a way to do them for less. Who knows if they will ever happen. Perhaps they could be turned into books or comics or even animated like Clone Wars is.

And...who thinks Ep 7 directed by Joss Whedon would be a bad thing...

FC

Just remembered that Whedon is doing Avengers 2 slated for 2015 so unless he bows out of that (highly doubtlful) someone else will be doing Episode VIII.

Yes, certainly I think Disney will keep him on A2. However, one hallmark of the recent SW films has been the extensive post-production times due to all the CG (as building all those sets would've been prohibitive...after all, all 3 prequels together cost under $350m).

So while the prequels came out in 1999, 2002, and 2005, principal photography was done in 1997, 2000, and 2003. By that metric, the film will be mostly shot next fall/winter. So, technically Whedon COULD film Ep7 and THEN film A2 afterwards while the post is happening on 7.

However, I doubt that scenario. Zemeckis told of the difficulty he had in doing BTTF2 and 3 for release 6 months apart (basically he concentrated on 3's filming while 2's editing and other post work suffered because he couldn't really do both in 24 hr days), so I don't think Whedon could get 2 films ready for summer 2015 even with principal photography split neatly between the two. So scratch him off the list.

I think it safe to say Andrew Stanton also will not get the gig after John Carter!

Christopher Nolan anyone? :biggrin:

I am saddened and somewhat disappointed by the lot of you! None of you said anything about Disney potentially reviving the Ewoks...

...and Joss Whedon shouldn't have anything to do with Star Wars. He should be busying himself with a Serenity sequel that somehow involves Wash being brought back to life.

Also, Joss Whedon + Thrawn Trilogy done right seems to be the current Star Wars Nerd Fantasy atm. If that happens, I would be so hyped words would be unable to convey it.

If they do Thrawn Movies (computer graphics or different actors?) there are some continuity problems to fix, like adults joining the jedi (C'baoth) or Anakin becoming Vader before The Phantom Menace

like adults joining the jedi (C'baoth)

That is not a continuity problems; it was just not practice with the Republics Jedi at the time. It could be done in some instances and was a common occurance in the New Jedi Order (who admittidly had little choice in the matter). Also, Luke Skywalker is not an adult? :biggrin:

However, C´baoth is a Clone of a Jedi who joined as a child so point is moot anyway.

Anakin becoming Vader before The Phantom Menace

Retconning the Noghri story should be easy enough. Quite a few EU Works referencing to the Clone Wars got heavily bashed by the horrors that is the prequel - most significantly the mention of a fleet and army before the clone wars; not to mention everybody believed the clones to have been the bad guys.

Edited by JonathanRL