Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

I think I might be able to fix...

...that old EAW Euro WW2 map.

Now, it's actually a little too early to be certain, but I'm hopefull that using the same procedure that I used on the New Guenia map (yes, I know .. I haven't touched it for month; busy with KAW stuff).

IF this does work out, that means a REAL full 4-season Europe for WW2 can be created. Of course, the targets ini has to be completly s**tcanned and rebuilt for 1940s accuracy...so don't expect to see anything before the middle of next year sometime. Mind you, the map has some excpetional "oddness" in in construction, so keep fingers crossed!

But it IS looking slightly hopefull. Once I get the texturelist rebuilt, the tiles imported, and begin in-game testing. I'll know more

wish me luck!

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

Wish you good luck!! Could you try a late WWII map, with Allies closing the Germany soil and the Soviets by the east?

Yes, it's called

wait for it....

GermanyCE. The stock map

:biggrin:

Wrench, I just had a good idea - To use three countries at same time with three scenarios at same time too (RAF/USAAF in west, Luftwaffe in the middle and VVS at east) SHOULD be simple with some edit. Example:

- All the Europe/GB airbases using the LARGE airfields.

- All Luftwaffe airbases using the MEDIUM airfields.

- All Soviets airbases using the SMALL airfields.

Doing this, when creating the planes *Z*.DATA.INI the line ¨MinBaseSize=LARGE¨ will dictate wich side of the map the plane will work. Got it? I´m honestly don´t know if it works as I stated. Perhaps it needs some other tweaks. Thanks doctor!!!

no, unfortunately, it dosen't work that way. the game engine ™ sees any 'same side' airbase as usable by any nation OF that side. so, you'll see Yaks and Laggs flying from England, and Spitfires and mustangs from soviet (ww2) bases in poland

Wrench, let me explain a bit more.

When adding the airfields to the TERRAIN, set ALL airfields in British Islands, France, Netherlands, Belgium as LARGE airfields.

For Germany mainland all airfields as MEDIUM.

In the east side, SMALL for the Russians.

Again, this will be done in the terrain folder in _TYPES.INI, I think. With this, an USAAF P-47D for example with MinBaseSize=LARGE settings will operate in the left side of the map - West europe. A Yak-9 with MinBaseSize=SMALL will use bases at right side - East Europe.

I hope to be more clear... Thanks!

Unfortunately, the Yaks will also use the airbases designated LARGE. Although it would be nice if there was an entry for MAXbase size=XXX.

Edited by baffmeister

1) there isn't enough physical ROOM in England (expecialy East Anglia) for all to be runway 4s

2) like baff said, look at the STATMENT:

MINIMUMIN base size=small.

that means any aircraft set can use ANY size airfield, small medium and large. You CANNOT keep the Russkies from appearing in England, except by using a limited nations statement, and removing "WW2Soviet" completely from use on the map. The only other way would be to have ONLY the airfields east of Germany opeational, on a completly seperate, exceedingly editated map. And even then, since everything WEST of Rhine is Occupied Territoriy (read: Nazi Germany), the Russkis will be wandering far beyond their normal radius of action (well, to the limits of onboard fuel).

as to adding sides, like Daniel suggested, the game only allows for 3 -- Red, Blue and Neutral. That's all! And even the LimitedNations=TRUE statement would only allow for RAF, USAF and Nazi_Germany in the west (not including WW2 Italy, as they stope ops after the BoB -- we also can't count 'Free *** Squadron', as they'd still be flying for the host nations, in this case, RAF.

Trust me, this is something I know very well having ripped about the engine to study it's innards

the point may moot in any case, the as the f***ing terrain keeps locking/crashing with the new tiles between 80-100% (which is usually a groundobject). This might well be one I cannot fix!

This type of thing any use to you Kev ? It depicts a basic "generic" cold war airbase at the moment, but could be modified.........

post-841-0-04730400-1351717933_thumb.jpg

ya know i toyed with the idea of getting into terrains with this bad boy, only to have you and Stary tell me i was crazy to think of it.

i therfore must now think you crazy Mr the Wrench sir.

till you pull this one out yer arse and amaze us once again. good luck with it!

Edited by daddyairplanes

in truth, IF I can pull this one out of my ass (or any other orfiicie), I sending a resume to TK!!

that's a GREAT airbase, Ant. Is the LOD one piece??

Hiya Wrench-

Just happened to swing by here for the first time in many years and saw your post. Keith Bedford and I did that original EAWEuro map in 2005 or so. Charles et. al. from EAW did an improved version later. (The initial project was a quid pro quo of sorts with TK: He gave us use of his terrain editor to make new maps for Gunship! and for EAW, and in return we converted the original EAW map for SF players use.) Fun project. Keith's a genius, and built cool conversion utilities to make it happen.

Anyway, a few days ago I finally put all my mod development files on line for Gunship/EAW/SF folks to sort through, but I know the original files related to the EAWEuro terrain are also in there somewhere, too. (And HFD/TFDs for other SF maps, too.)

I've been out of modding for several years now and have no idea how the current version of SF is put together. Just thought I'd mention this in case you (or anyone) found any of it useful for updating the EAWEuro map. Four CD's worth, roughly 350MB zipped each. If it is too elderly to be of use, I certainly understand. So am I. ;)

See this SimHQ thread:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3691140/Gunship_Helipad_is_back_And_mo.html#Post3691140

HTH. Best to all-

fng2k

good to see you again!

thanks for the link, I"ll certainly jump over and take a look.

at last testing, however, the cursed thing keeps locking on loading (10%!!!!!), so I know I messed up something