Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Looks like HQ was hit by a night bombing raid

I get a message that says SimHQ domain was not renewed and we can now bid on the name. Ooops.

Which means what? Is our new "official" site going belly-up? Is SimHQ giving up, or is this a clerical lapse? (I nearly lost my domain name, but saved it at the last moment.) Is it currently (like right now) up for bid?

Yikes! I still show it up for bid (min $69) at 9:40 EST (New York, United States). Somebody screwed up, I wonder if there is anything we can do?

There is usually a 30-day adminstrative 'grace' period in which the original domain owner can renew the name. However, bids can be placed on the name now and if the grace period lapses the high bidder gets the domain.

A bigger issue might be when the folks at SimHQ renew their domain, they may find that their data bases are all screwed up from being pulled offline. Let's hope not.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

ah the joys of the modern industry. if there's a hosting company that is likely to still be in business 10 years from now, we should find it. Though i still love combat ace, can't we move back here?

Though i still love combat ace, can't we move back here?

Now there's a thought, Matt. :grin:

Well that is a very good thing. You never know when a website is turned off just how it will come back on. Perhaps someone over at SimHQ should tick the 'auto renew' option before the next payment cycle comes around. :smile:

Is it still up for you guys? I couldn't get it, so I cleared my cookies and browser cache and it still comes up with the "up for auction" page.

Yep, it's up, I was just there seconds ago.

I still show it up for bid (min $69) at 9:40 EST (New York, United States). Somebody screwed up, I wonder if there is anything we can do?

We could buy it ourselves. I'll put up up the initial bid of $69.

It's still there, I just posted in the trainsim section :)

No, it mus be just me. I got it at home last night just fine, but here at work again today I can't. Maybe I have to clear cookies, browser cache, and history. Sheesh.

I have a feeling it probably had something to do with massive east coast power outages from Sandy.

Bad weather over the HQ Aerodrome I guess, some can get in, some can't - depends which way the wind blows I suppose, might find a break in the clouds and manage to get down, if not - best revector to another aerodrome for the time being.

Well, this morning I'm ok at work, so whatever it is on my laptop must have flushed itself out.

7:00pm Thursday night: all seems well at SimHQ.