Sign in to follow this  
Spiff

KAW Corsairs-PROP Question

Hello All,

Just wondering what the callout is for the prop tgas and can it be easily changed; I get too much prop visible at max rpm for the 4/4B models compared to pretty much nothing on the other models;

once you start the mission you really don't get a change slowing down either. Can you still shut down the engine or was that done away with; thought it was shift-I?

the prop tgas are in the skin folders, and the main folder. Might be something in the RPM statements, but more likely something with the LOD (node names? although they all work...)

and yes, Cntl/I still shuts off the engine

what "other models" do you mean? the AU-1 and -5NL or Wolf's WW2 Corsairs. Cause them's apples and oranges! :biggrin:

Hello Wrench,

AU-1 and 5NL work fine, just the 4/4B giving me trouble. It's not a big deal it just looks stupid to see individual prop blades. Not using Wolfs'.

the individual props are slowprop I think...just copy the fastprop tga and rename it slowprop...thatll work..

the 3 prop tgas are

propdisc

propdisc1

propdisc2

and they're all the SAME!!! Maybe a different tga is needed???

EDIT!!

Ah HA!!!

that got me to thinking.....

ya'll think this one is better??

this i the -1A; let me test the birdcage, 4 & 4B and if this is it, I'll upload a fix=it pak

Edited by Wrench

I belive so. I jsut used a different tga, renamed to fit. I've already applied this "fix" to the -1D

however, the FAA MK.II and IV, with the 3 bladed prop, don't seem to want to take that fix. And I don't have the max files for the Mk.IV (cliped wing) to ask someone to tweek it.

Nor do I have the MAX for -4/4B/-7. I'd really hate to bug Ant, and have him brave the evil spiders in the attic to search it out!

Was there ever a fix for this?  I just downloaded the latest KAW F4U package and two of the four models still have an issue with some sort of "low RPM" looking prop obscuring the view when at high RPMs.

as was stated above, lack of MAX files prevents a proper fix. sorry, burdda!

Hmmm... Forgive me since I'm not that familiar with how these things work in SF2, but is it not possible to copy a better, more transparent prop disc TGA (from the Skyraiders or Mustangs) and just rename it to match what the Corsairs call out and replace?

The game/model has to be pulling that texture from somewhere, right?

Edited by malibu43

looking at prop entries and out file,they dont match exactly....blade01 doesnt exist,blades does nor does propellerC

I'm not sure how this helps, but I was able to copy one of the more transparent prop TGAs from the AU-1 and used it to replace all the prop TGAs for the F4U-4 VF24 skin.  The new prop TGA actually showed up fine.  But the problem appears to be that the actual prop from the aircraft model still displays (spinning really fast) as well.

Again, not sure if that helps.  I have no idea if there's a way to hid the prop model at high RPMs but still have the new prop TGA show...

Is that not what I said before? Has to be fixed in the LOD. and without the MAX file ....

as to the "game pulling the textures from somewhere", the Mustang and Skyraider (3W) pull theirs from one of the ObjectCats. The TMF corsair has the prop tgas, and you should have seen them, in the root aircraft folder and in each skin folder.

Ya, I got it now. I'm just trying to learn more about this stuff as I go.

Here's another idea...

If I set the Nose to showfromcockpit=false, I won't see the prop model from the cockpit.  The downside is that I don't see ANYTHING there and it feels like I'm in a jet.

BUT, would it be possible to create a "seat" that is just a clear disk with a propdisk texture applied and add it to the fuselage via the fake pilot method?  It might look a little odd from the outside (which the plane does already), but things might look good from the cockpit.

If someone can could create the seat, I could do the rest...  

I was just messing with the 'sf2_faa_corsair2_pak'and made these changes to the _data.ini and it works just fine.

ThrottleRate=0.25

ConstantSpeed=FALSE

StaticPropNodeName=Blade01

SlowPropNodeName=Slowprop <------These were swaped

FastPropNodeName=Fastprop

SlowPropRPM=400

FastPropRPM=1000

MaxPropRPM=1437

IdlePropRPM=150

Also I had to save the Cockpit.ini as UNICODE to get the Tach to work.

post-300-0-78494200-1402989144_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-69964300-1402989317_thumb.jpg

Edited by RAVEN

Ok I tried this on the F4U-4, the Static prop and the Slow prop work correctly, but the Fast prop just disapears.

ThrottleRate=0.25

ConstantSpeed=False

SpinnerNodeName=Propeller

StaticPropNodeName=blades

SlowPropNodeName=PropellerB

FastPropNodeName=PropellerB

ReversePropOrientation=True

SlowPropRPM=400

FastPropRPM=1000

MaxPropRPM=1437

IdlePropRPM=150

that's a -1 corsair, it's 3 bladed. IIRC, it's on that Russ fixed as we located the MAX file for it.

The -4/4B/7 are four bladed.

Looking at the OUT for -4/4B, and into the lod with a hex editor shows a LOT of missing nodes

from the F4U-4 OUT:

Engine (252 polys, 756 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
    Propeller (75 polys, 225 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
     blades (264 polys, 792 verts) 'enginetail'
     PropellerB (36 polys, 108 verts) 'hélice-15%'
     cone (56 polys, 168 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
    Cylinder01 (48 polys, 144 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
    Cylinder02 (48 polys, 144 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'

the "stepped" formatting isn't showing, of course!!

The -1s have each of the 3 blades called out, where as the -4s have only 'blades' called

from the F4U-1A:

Engine [232 polys, 126 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
     teteengine02 [84 polys, 91 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
     teteengine01 [84 polys, 91 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
     spinner [360 polys, 283 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
      Fastprop [4 polys, 8 verts] 'hélice-50%'
      Slowprop [4 polys, 8 verts] 'hélice-15%'
      Blade01 [250 polys, 166 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
       Blade02 [250 polys, 166 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
       Blade03 [250 polys, 166 verts] 'enginetail-Mat'
     engine3d [261 polys, 414 verts] 'enginetai

If my TMF/MM members could find the max files, I'm sure we could fix it.

that's a -1 corsair, it's 3 bladed. IIRC, it's on that Russ fixed as we located the MAX file for it.

The -4/4B/7 are four bladed.

Looking at the OUT for -4/4B, and into the lod with a hex editor shows a LOT of missing nodes

from the F4U-4 OUT:

the "stepped" formatting isn't showing, of course!!

The -1s have each of the 3 blades called out, where as the -4s have only 'blades' called

from the F4U-1A:

If my TMF/MM members could find the max files, I'm sure we could fix it.

Well, let us know if you get your hand on them.  It would be very appreciated!

Any thoughts on my fake pilot method...?  Do you think that would work?

Just replace the correspondent lines in "[Engine]" inside the "_DATA.INI" :

//FastPropNodeName=PropellerC
SlowPropRPM=1000
FastPropRPM=2700
MaxPropRPM=3060
IdlePropRPM=1000

It works nicelly. Cheers!

Just replace the correspondent lines in "[Engine]" inside the "_DATA.INI" :

//FastPropNodeName=PropellerC

SlowPropRPM=1000

FastPropRPM=2700

MaxPropRPM=3060

IdlePropRPM=1000

It works nicelly. Cheers!

Does that actually give you a more transparent prop at high RPMs or does it just hide/remove the prop completely (at high RPMs)?

most likely would not, as you can't really animate a fake pilot (that I'm aware of!)

most likely would not, as you can't really animate a fake pilot (that I'm aware of!)

Ya, but even if you just had a static, mostly transparent prop-disc type looking thing, it would be better than the other options we have, which are a nearly obscured view or no prop at all.

Just throwing ideas out.  My grandfather flew USN F4U-4's in Korea, which is why I'm focusing so much on those get those two sorted out (as opposed to just enjoying the rest of the awesome stuff in the KAW mod!).  If I had any idea how to do it myself, I would.

did I cover his unit in my skin set?? :biggrin:

no idea is bad. keep throwing them out. the major problem is, after Bpao passed, we lost a LOT of the max files. and an equal number

were uncompleted (like the Spit mk.1, the spit mk 9, the su-24 Fubar's been showing)

if we had those, we'd be Golden. I'm sure I could find a 'volenteer' to fix the things! We've had them since 2004