Since I started playing Strike Fighters over the years a few aircraft have had faulty shadows (not criticizing) and they have been explained as “Holes” in the model mesh. What I have observed is that holes in the mesh will create a blank spot in the shadow,(no shadow) while a stray or “Isolated vertex” will cerate those long string antenna shadows making the aircraft into a kite. Just thought I would share this "Observation" . :biggrin:

Raven

It's more complicated than that. You can have open meshes and cast a shadow just fine...what matters is how "convex" that mesh is.

Also, the 'spikes' are typically caused when an object has a vertex (or several) that cause meshes to do things they can't do in reality. One of the most common is 2 meshes joined by only one vertex.

FC

I've also found that the tractor beams can be caused by a reverse face, usually joined by the same verticies as FC mentioned above.

Dels

Thanks for the response. I'll have to do some more research and testing . I'm putting togeather a How to for 3DS (It will be done in two week's :biggrin: ).

also,an unmapped poly can cause the tractor beam,especially if its stray ..ie,has no parent mesh .