Hi all. Trying to gather some information on what aircraft the USAAF used North Africa and Italy. I haven't had much luck. I know they used P-38, P-47, B-17, 24 and 26s. Dose any one know if P-51 were used in Noth Africa? Any information would be greatfull.

Thanks.

Six F-6A-NA (later designated P-51-2-NA) "Apache" with K24 recon cameras were sent to the 154th Observation Squadron (of the XII Air Support Command) in Tunisia on April 2 1943. The next day one the pilots, the 2nd Lieutnant Kenner lost his life aboard one of them, and the first operational mission was on the April 9. Some weeks after they were sent to the 111th Reconnaissance Squadron, they were the only P-51 "Mustang/Apache" in operations over North Africa. They were made on base of original R.A.F "Mustang" Mk. IA with 4x20mm cannons.

Hope it help you :bye:

Edited by B52STRATO

not until 1945, did AAF squadron start recieving Mustangs, mostly B/C models. Sometime after that, D started appearing. By then, all squadron were operating from Italy. Including RAF units

So, no; not any "real" mustangs

if you give me 24 hours, you'll have a nice BRAND NEW Spit Mk.VIII in AAA and RAF markings

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

yup, sure sure was. Kittyhawk by the RAF, Warhawk by AAF (same plane, different name). THOUSANDS of them!!! :biggrin:

D,E,F,N models

there weren't nowhere it wasn't used!! (except maybe Antarctica!!!)

P-40 wasn't used in N.Africa as well ?it was surely used by R.A.F.

I believe some Free French Air Force "Groupes" flew on ex-U.S P-40 in North Africa.

The RAF,and South African AF flew the Boston and USAAF flew the A-20 Havoc,Also some RAF and French Baltimores and Marylands.

you can actually turn it around; the list of what wasn't used is MUCH shorter

and the NF too