Hi all.

Is there a way to make anti aircraft guns more effective. When I fly strike missions over enemy TFs or air fields, no one in my group ever gets shot down to enclude me.. Also, when I'm defending my Carrier TF, none of the enemy aircrft get shot down.

iirc, that pack DOSEN'T address shipboard guns, just land based

Try these guns, just place in the Objects/Guns folder. You will then need to change the name of the guns in the data ini file for each ship to start using them.

Ship Guns.7z

otoh i did try the pack as well as some addon theaters that include the mod, but the fps whenever the guns open up are abysmal... i already selected the lowest setting for the guns and effects to low. i just dunno what to tweak to make it more bearable on frames, tried reducing the texture size of the effects, but not much help...

I would recommend that you try and use only contact fused guns as the shell burst from the time fused guns as far as I am aware do not model fragmentation from the shell burst.

KJakker:

The fused guns do model the shell burst, and you can indeed be shot down by them. The modeling may not be very sophisticated or accurate, but the time-fused guns can damage aircraft.

When you (or an AI wing man) gets shot down by a contact-fused gun, you typically see this sequence of lines in the mission log:

- Zsu-23 fired 23MM_AZP23 at Pilot.

- Pilot was hit by 23MM_AZP23.

- Pilot was shot down near Hanoi.

With SAMs, a similar sequence occurs. With the timed-fused guns, however, you will see only this:

- Pilot was shot down near Hanoi.

TK has changed the modeling of time-fused guns over the years. This I know because when I initially tested the guns we customized for SF2 and WOV 2008 in WOV 2006 (for inclusion in the WOV Expansion Pack), I was shocked -- entire flights of B-57s and A-4s were getting blown out of the sky within a matter of seconds by time-fused S-60s and M1939s. The solution was to crank down the WarheadWt value on the time-fused guns.

Since the release of the SF2V Expansion Pack in 2009, I've started to suspect that TK may have fiddled some more with the modeling of time-fused guns, as those guns are not as effective now as they were at earlier patch levels.

Again, I don't claim that shell bursts are modeled in a very sophisticated or realistic fashion, but all the evidence I've seen tells me that they are modeled to some degree.

Eric Howes

Eric, that is interesting. In testing I have had flights of A-4's fly over formations of up to 12 of the General Belgrano for a total of 288 40MM_L60's, 96 5inch 5IN_MK12, and for test purposes, 180 6inch guns all set up as though they were the 6in Mk16's like the Worcester Class used, all time fused. Despite all that I found that after flying through a veritable wall of flak burst not one of the A-4's had even a scratch visible on it let alone got shot down.

Would you be interested in helping me in figuring out what went wrong?

KJakker:

Two things to fiddle with:

1. the WarheadWt on the guns themselves: multiply the defaults by 100x-300x (or even higher)

2. these values for the gunners on the ship:

RangeFinder=

BallisticComputer=

Bump those up to 10.

As I said, I strongly suspect that TK has made even more adjustments to the way time-fused guns are handled so that what worked in the 2009-2010 patch levels are no longer effective. But that's a hunch or suspicion at best.

Eric Howes

KJakker:

1. the WarheadWt on the guns themselves: multiply the defaults by 100x-300x (or even higher)

RangeFinder=

BallisticComputer=

Bump those up to 10.

As I said, I strongly suspect that TK has made even more adjustments to the way time-fused guns are handled so that what worked in the 2009-2010 patch levels are no longer effective. But that's a hunch or suspicion at best.

Eric Howes

KJakker:

RangeFinder=

BallisticComputer=

Bump those up to 10.

Eric Howes

I made the above changes and I have noted it is a bit more dangerous now to conduct strike missions. Been shot down a couple of times and have seen wing men go down burning.

I just did a test and found that if I gave the time fused guns 1000 times the busting charge of their contact fused counterparts they became effective. I am going to do some more testing and then put together a new ships gun pack.

KJakker:

Be careful. What seems like a good set of values in testing may not prove to be as desirable in everyday game play. When testing this kind of thing, the object is to get aircraft shot down. So, when lots of aircraft get shot down, it may seem like the values that produced those results are the ideal values.

Once you start playing the game -- flying single missions and campaigns -- your view very well might change. I know mine did. After hitting on some gun values that seemed ideal, I moved on to testing campaigns and so forth. It didn't take too long before I was thinking, "OK, yeah, I wanted these things to be more dangerous, but this is ridiculous. I'm getting shot down every other mission, and every flight I take with me loses half its aircraft"

Result: I went back and adjusted the values downward.

Eric Howes