Sign in to follow this  
thodouras95

Soviet Constant X/Have X aircraft?

We all (or at least most of us) know about the USN's/USAF's Red Eagles, the MiGs that slipped into the western world and formed a large part of today's fighter combat and design aspects.But I just happened to find some images of ex-South Vietnamese F-5Es that were passed into Soviet (or Warsaw Pact/Soviet supporting, same thing) hands and evaluated in a similar way as the American MiGs.This made me wonder, for there have been several countries that could benefit from delivering their aircraft to the Soviet Union, plus defectors weren't uncommon back in these days.I just wonder, did any other western aircraft make it into the land of the Reds?

As far as I heard, in 1979, a Iranian F-14 Tomcat was delivered to the Soviet Union for trials.

There are rumors that some Iranian F-14s were evaluated by the Soviets back in the day (and a badly photoshopped pic of a Tomcat with a red star on it).

I kind of wonder with all the wreckage from the various aircraft lost over Vietnam that one flyable example wasn't reverse engineered.

FC

There is also the story of an F-51 who landed in North-Korea, but at this time the Soviets shurely know much about this aircraft.

Edited by B52STRATO

F-4 and Mirage III are stored at Monino Air Museum. Will try to find the picture.

As far as I heard, in 1979, a Iranian F-14 Tomcat was delivered to the Soviet Union for trials.

Quite possible, but I find it rather weird that no pictures have been publicised.

F-4 and Mirage III are stored at Monino Air Museum. Will try to find the picture.

Now this I want to see!

It was an old black and white picture of a big plane (Tu-144? i have forgotten unfortunatly) and on the outer left side were two completly weatherproof coverd planes with the shapes of the Mirage and the Phantom. I know, that i have this picture somewhere. If i only could remember which was the big plane!!!!

EDIT:

Cant find the picture at the moment, but i have asked for it in an other forum. Perhaps i will get it from there.

Edit 2

Sometimes the result comes fast.

post-3395-0-65304300-1353004429_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-57653000-1353004445.jpg

Not the best quality, i know, but better than nothing. :wink:

Edited by Gepard

It was an old black and white picture of a big plane (Tu-144? i have forgotten unfortunatly) and on the outer left side were two completly weatherproof coverd planes with the shapes of the Mirage and the Phantom. I know, that i have this picture somewhere. If i only could remember which was the big plane!!!!

EDIT:

Cant find the picture at the moment, but i have asked for it in an other forum. Perhaps i will get it from there.

Edit 2

Sometimes the result comes fast.

post-3395-0-65304300-1353004429_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-57653000-1353004445.jpg

Not the best quality, i know, but better than nothing. :wink:

Well well, never expected to see that kind of picture until today!The F-4s (2nd being most likely a D, from what I can see) can be from various sources, but the Mirage should be Israeli.Only thing that looks weird is the red star on the vertical stabilizer, a little too off.Btw, which site are these from?

Okay with regards the Tomcat... Just finished reading the Iran Iraq War book and it states that the Tomcat was never handed over to the Soviets... When the Soviet Delegation with numerous Air Force guys in it arrived they were not even allowed in the seat of any of the Western Jets F-4 F-5 and F-14 let alone fly in them... But then again I have also heard they handed the jet over as well.... Though one may have found its way to the Soviets with an Iranian Defector ???

Those pics are just too unclear to determine how authentic they are. This is one of those things I'm really surprised there isn't more information on.

FC

Okay with regards the Tomcat... Just finished reading the Iran Iraq War book and it states that the Tomcat was never handed over to the Soviets... When the Soviet Delegation with numerous Air Force guys in it arrived they were not even allowed in the seat of any of the Western Jets F-4 F-5 and F-14 let alone fly in them... But then again I have also heard they handed the jet over as well.... Though one may have found its way to the Soviets with an Iranian Defector ???

Read the book too, the one with the Iranian defector, if my memory is correct, allegedly landed to Iraq, pilot granted asylum in the west, RIO=POW to Iraq, aircraft flown to Saudi Arabia, classified components + Iranian parts removed (latter ones for FTD studies), remains destroyed at a bombing range.But other than that, I really don't see why the Iranians wouldn't give the Soviets a taste of the Tomcat.After all, they had nothing to lose from that.

Those pics are just too unclear to determine how authentic they are. This is one of those things I'm really surprised there isn't more information on.

FC

Maybe there is more info, Gepard can give us the link from where he found the pics.

mmm, the red star is okay, if you look at M-4 pics and see most of the vertail is rudder, the red star far forward in front of the deep rudder.

That being said, the pic is also squeezed a bit horizontally, M-4 looks a bit fat, same with the F-4, so making the red star look even weirder in position.

FC::

I kind of wonder with all the wreckage from the various aircraft lost over Vietnam that one flyable example wasn't reverse engineered.

There's no point in it. Mere airplanes come and go, engines live forever. From my understanding, the Lyulka AL-21 depended heavily on J-79s found in Vietnam.

Which is interesting for me, since in my game, J-79s should be found in Siberia as early as 1960 maybe, and better preserved than in Jungle. So the Soviets get AL-21 a bit earlier.

The two pictures i found in the depth of my HD. Cant remember from were i got it. But the one with the stored Mirage and the Phantom i have seen in a book long time ago (before the change in 1989). But dont ask me which book it was.

In the other forum the guys said, that the picture was taken in Shukovski, not in Monino. And one other said, that it could be, that the two planes are only wooden mockups.

Maybe that it was posted to give the west something to worry. Dont know.

Maybe, that the planes were rebuilt from shot down wrecks.

That western technic was in eastern hand i have eyewitness.

During my military time i had an "enemy weapon training" were i had the chance to shoot with M-16, G-3 and FAMAS. I have seen M-60 and Leopard 1 tanks which were used for shooting tests to find weak spots.

Defection of pilots from east germany to west (Danmark) happend 1 time (a Yak-18) and from west to east germany also 1 times (a small prop plane somewhere in the 70th i think).