Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

[Released] Improved Wing Tip Vortices (Updated 11-18-12)

Hello everyone,

This is my latest progress on improving wingtip vortexes. I have two types of wingtip vortexes so people can choose which type they want when installing my version of improved wingtip vortex:

Straight trail version of improved wingtip vortex

post-843-0-43055100-1353266941_thumb.jpg

Shakey Trail version of improved wingtip vortex

post-843-0-56783200-1353266944_thumb.jpg

Any feedbacks or suggestions for improving these wingtip vortexes is much appreciated and hopes you all like these progress so far! I am finalizing these before releasing them soon.

UPDATE:

I have released my first version of wingtip vortex, they can be found at this link:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13560-improved-wingtip-vortex-v10rar/

Edited by Eagle114th
  • Like 1

Here is latest update with improved wingtip vortices:

post-843-0-00088100-1353137042_thumb.jpg

This is the result after replacing these codes:

ParticleLifeTime=0.500000

ParticleWeight=-0.50000

ParticleWindFactor=0.5

With these lines of codes:

ParticleRandomOrientation=TRUE

ParticleLifeTime=0.750000

ParticleLifeTimeDeviation=0.001000

ParticleWeight=-0.00000

ParticleRandomness=0.010000

ParticleWindFactor=1.0

I was studying F-16 new fuseluge vapor effects where I was giving these new vortices "random disappearing at different timing" when aircraft exit from hard turning.

• Like 2

Vortex are move in aircrat data ini IIRC

I am not talking about a 'starting position' of vortex. Here is example of what I am trying to do:

Here is how 'default' wingtip vortex is lined into 'straight' line between 'timed' vortices position (by default it is straight line):

post-843-0-62130200-1353170425_thumb.jpg

And what I am trying to do is 'move' the vortices position to give both 'wingtip vortices' 'curved' line toward 'each other" like this picture below: 'dotted line' shows old position and blue curved line show 'new' position it would be moved to. Each of 'dot' presents of scripted of each vortices being placed based on 'timer' script. (If you are confused by how I am describing this, please let me know and I will explain this in more clear way.)

post-843-0-50219700-1353170427_thumb.jpg

You notice I posted 'Table" on upper left corner showing each position for [01], [02], [03]. It shows where each next vortices will 'connect to'. I am figuring out how to actually 'move' the position of each of these 'timer' placement. Any idea on how to make this work? I am studying each of add-on aircraft effects files to see if I can find anything from it. My next step goal is to make both wingtip vortices curving toward each other steady as they keep trailing away from aircraft like this picture below:

640px-FA-18C_vapor_LEX_and_wingtip_1.jpg

7fa0c7bbgw1dwg46aqdcaj.jpg

Edited by Eagle114th

I doubt you can edit the trail left to right movement...cant see any entry that may do that.but you never nkow

unless you can edit the wind affecting the trail at certain points,to make it look like its being sucked inwards by the wing drag.

• Like 1

I doubt you can edit the trail left to right movement...cant see any entry that may do that.but you never nkow

unless you can edit the wind affecting the trail at certain points,to make it look like its being sucked inwards by the wing drag.

That gives me idea, I am going to play with these codes:

ParticleWeight=-0.50000 <<<<<< I am not sure what this do in SF2 so I will play with this value

ParticleWindFactor=0.5 <<<<< This may be one that affect trail based on wind factor?

The only way for that to work, is to create separate emitters for the left and right wingtips. Then , you need to adjust the left to have a positive emission velocity rate, and the right to have a negative rate. This will (if you balance rate and particle weight) cause them to "curve" inwards.

This is the value set that you need to play with:

EmissionVelocity=X.0,Y.0,Z.0

• Like 1

The only way for that to work, is to create separate emitters for the left and right wingtips. Then , you need to adjust the left to have a positive emission velocity rate, and the right to have a negative rate. This will (if you balance rate and particle weight) cause them to "curve" inwards.

This is the value set that you need to play with:

EmissionVelocity=X.0,Y.0,Z.0

Thank you very much! I shall play with this!

I was figuring out how to give wingtipvortex "random" shaking trails instead of completely straight trails and I managed to find a code that does it! I was experimenting with this code and these wingtipvortex is starting to look more natural, realistic looking wingtip vortex.:

ParticleRandomness=0.03000

This is the result :

post-843-0-42573600-1353193158_thumb.jpg

However, I just countered one of problem with it, the texture itself is 2D, not 3D. Because of that, if you look directly at it, it disappears at specific angles due to it being 'flat' 2D texture.

post-843-0-94452100-1353193160_thumb.jpg

I don't know what to do to make it 3D so I am keep looking into other effect files to see what I can do to give it more 3D.

• Like 2

You can have a volumetric "3D" appearance but to make it looks very good it will be far more "costly" in terms of workload since it will create an high amount of small clouds to fill the trails.

• Like 2

You can have a volumetric "3D" appearance but to make it looks very good it will be far more "costly" in terms of workload since it will create an high amount of small clouds to fill the trails.

You have good point, I will scrap 3D wingtip vortex project for now since creating too many clouds will definitely hog memories for other computer. I just realized that having many more aircraft dogfighting in screen at the same time while each of aircraft have thousands of 'tiny' cloud in 3D in each wingtipvortex would be so heavy on CPU. Thank you for making me realize this and I shall stick with 2D wingtip vortex.

I have updated my first posts with my progress, I am finalizing my first version of improved wingtip vortex mod for SF2. For first version, I will release two version of wingtip vortex that will improve SF2 wingtip vortex globally. They will come in two versions and here is my READ ME from this pack:

Improved Wingtip Vortex Effect pack Version 1.0 by Eagle114th

The purpose of this add-on effect mod is to improve the graphic of wingtip vortex in Strike Fighter 2. I have noticed that wingtip vortex, by default, looks bit unrealistic. So I have decided to improve these, inspired by modders from Combat Ace community, especially by Wrench and Stary. I am very thankful for this wonderful community and I am more than proud to be part of Combat Ace commmunity sharing my hobbies within Strike Fighter 2. I truly hope that you enjoy my improved wingtip vortex effect package, you can post feedback/suggestion for improving my effect pack at this link:

http://combatace.com...12/#entry601081

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALL INSTRUCTION:

1) MAKE SURE YOU back up your EFFECT folder!

2) There are two folders with types of wingtip vortex:

- Straight trails Version = new wingtip vortex effect with straight trails

- Shakey trails Version = new wingtip vortex effect with shakey trails

You can only pick ONE of these two folders, you can't have both at the same time. You can try one of these two version first. Then try other and see which one you like the best. However, inside these folder you will see "Effect" folder, drop them in your strike fighter 2 mod folder and overwrite when asked.

3) ENJOY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known BUGS/Problem:

Shakey version of wingtip vortex trails disappears at specific angle when you view them, this is due to nature of 2D. I have tried creating 3D volumetric version of wingtrip vortex, they got too complicated and hogs cpu and memories lot. I had to cancel my project of converting 2D wingtip vortex from 2D to 3D, to avoid heavy cpu and memories hogging for anyone's computer. I intend to make this mod very friendly for any computer. That is exactly why I created two version of wingtip vortex (straight and shakey).

CREDIT:

TK - Thank you very much for creating this great simulation known as Strike Fighter 2. Your hard work have created this simulation for us all to enjoy together, especially our passions/hobbies of creating mods for improving Strike Fighter 2 into greater simulation.

FalcCAF (Erik) - THANK YOU very much for working on this project with me, giving me feedback that helped me improving my effect pack through my modding progress with your great knowledge!

dgk196 - THANK YOU for helping me very much with improving my wingtip vortex effect modding with your knowledge, especially your experiences have from your services in US Navy.

Wrench - You have been great inspiration that encouraged me into modding games and simulation long

time ago. You have been my hero in old day of Jane's Fighter Anthology with your modding.

Deuces - Thank you, your effect pack in SF1 series have taught me how to do some basic effect modding for SF1 and 2 series.

Stary - Your great effect pack in SF2 have taught me a lot about modding effect pack, thank you!

Combatace community - Thank you community for letting me be part of this great community!

For next version, I will attempt to create 'curved' wingtip vortex 'toward 'each other as shown in my post:

http://combatace.com...12/#entry601118

Keep an eye out for my first release of improved wingtip vortex pack!

Edited by Eagle114th

Hey, couldn't you use a series a stacked 2d tgas that when viewed at the proper angle will look right? By this I mean kind of how the now rocket motor exhaust trails that's in all of the effects packs (created by DO originally I think). Not the smoke, but but the actual motor burning.