Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

First of all let me say this, whatever I write here is related to singleplayer only, I passed on playing FPS games in multiplayer long time ago so my main driving force about FPS titles is singleplayer so this is all about that aspect of the game.

I was very skeptical about another Treyarch CoD title since I basically not just disliked World at War and first BlackOps, I f**** hated them, they were buggy, unoptimized and at times so boring passing over some missions was more of a burden than fun, yes it was THAT bad at times for me with those titles.

BUT(!!!!) BlackOps 2 rocks so hard it screams FUN, FUN, FUN all over the place.

First of all the story is like a movie with flashes from the past and their reflection on the future it really involves the player into the story eventhough you switch playing characters very often during the story even playing the main bad guy role several times. I mean don't get me wrong it's not Oscar nominee level but for a video game it's above all expectations I could possibly have.

Furthermore the game is optimized, completely bug-free and it scales perfectly, when you lower the details it actually runs better unlike BO which ran crappy no matter what you did. I can't comment on the graphics as with my now quite old system I didn't even try to run it on higher levels but on a nice medium-high mix with AA and AF it ran most of the time at around 70fps, often in the 100's and very rarely dropping to 40's.

Now as to why it's fun, it simply had enough aspects of the game rarely seen in classic military FPS games, whether you are skydiving in a wing-suit through jungle mountains in South America or charging on a horse(!!!) with mujahedins on soviet tanks in Afganistan desert, leading mad charges in the Angola, flying the F-35, defending the USS Barrack Obama(!!!) carrier from an attack or not to spoil more just saying...heck it's fun and the gameplay is new, challenging and simply cool.

Warning: The game is at times explicitly graphic, you can turn it off on the start but if you don't get ready for some serious scenes.

My Rig:

AMD X2 @2800Mhz

4GB DDR2

ATI 4850HD 512

EDIT: GAaah one finger was too fast so I wrote the title wrong but you get it...

Edited by Brain32

Yes, if only the SP took longer than 4 hours to play. I have many, many older FPS games that took a good 15-20 hrs to finish, a few that took even longer. It took me 40 hrs to play Far Cry 2!

While you might argue quality over quantity, there is a certain minimum expected. Would you pay full price to see a 30 min movie? Even if it's really good, it's not a "movie" at 30 mins is it?

This idea that these games should be made for the MP, with the SP tacked on as a "bonus", is ridiculous. It should be the other way around. Or make two separate games, one SP and one MP. I'll pay $20 for a 4 hr game, I'm not paying $40, let along $50-60!

Yes, if only the SP took longer than 4 hours to play. I have many, many older FPS games that took a good 15-20 hrs to finish, a few that took even longer. It took me 40 hrs to play Far Cry 2!

While you might argue quality over quantity, there is a certain minimum expected. Would you pay full price to see a 30 min movie? Even if it's really good, it's not a "movie" at 30 mins is it?

This idea that these games should be made for the MP, with the SP tacked on as a "bonus", is ridiculous. It should be the other way around. Or make two separate games, one SP and one MP. I'll pay $20 for a 4 hr game, I'm not paying $40, let along $50-60!

I hear ya on this, it's totally true, however in these days of multiplayer craze, it can be easy to snag it from a buddy just to go through SP :wink: Especially since you need for only like 4-6hrs max lol

I have many, many older FPS games that took a good 15-20 hrs to finish, a few that took even longer.

Ahhh... you remember the days of Quake 2, too. That was a grand old time... (sigh)

Heck, I'm just digging Black Mesa right now...

It was worth the wait.

FC

• Like 1

I keep forgetting to grab Black Mesa. I already re-installed Lost Coast to get the Source stuff installed. I guess I was waiting for it to show on Steam itself (I know it will show at some point).

Me I am still stuck with STALKER series oh and I remembered an old friend at the weekend... Fallout New Vegas still need to complete it and the DLC's...

You mean, like...

CoD 4 isn't the only good one in the series?

Well I liked all three MW's although COD4 was the best, however I'm tellin' ya if you can borrow it from a buddy BO2 is really cool stuff man...

It took me 145 hrs to do all of FNV and the DLCs, just once!

I'm now on Fallout 3 (playing them backwards...) and I'm at 78 hrs, still not done, still not touched the DLCs!

Ahhh... you remember the days of Quake 2, too. That was a grand old time... (sigh)

Doom2,Quake 1&2, Hexen, Half Life, Soldier of Fortune, Vietcong, Return to castle Wolfenstein(2001) even Doom3 and Quake4, can't finish those in a day that's for sure.

• Like 1

Stop it Brain! I'm getting teary and nostalgic... especially for Vietcong! One of the best shooters I've ever played!

You forgot Rise of the Triads too! :tongue:

What are the min specs for this? Are they like most CoDs in that, it's just a revamp of the previous one? Or is it more of a generational change like that of BF2 and BF3? I can run BO and MW3 on here without any major issues, but my system is ancient and is held together by spit and balding wire. Whataya think my chances with BO2 would be? Is it a new engine? The problematic 2 gig RAM is an issue, though working around it isn't difficult...

When toned down(mid-high settings but not max) it ran better than MW3 here...I don't think it's a new engine though it looks a bit polished.

Sweet, cheers Brain. I might give it a look in... though I'd rather be playing Day Z... :cry:

I miss Vietcong, Soldier of Fortune and Conflict series... and Rise of the Triad of course! :tongue:

I´m still stuck with the original CoD. And i wish i still could play ROTT "Ludicruous Gibs!!"

I'm waiting for Fallout 3 to get a little cheaper before I buy it. I'm about 4 years behind on my shooters.

The only advantage is that by the time I get the games, I have the hardware already available to run it....

HL2:EP2, KOTOR II, Bioshock, COD4, ArmA Gold, DX:HR, COH, the entire Total War series, GRAW, FEAR...

Plus I get nostalgic and occasionally replay games like Tron 2.0, NOLF 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2, EECH....

Then there are the free mods like BSG:Dispora, Wing Commander Saga, The Babylon Project, Black Mesa...

Arrgh!

FC

Cheaper? You missed it, I think it was yesterday or the day before it was $5! I notice it's back to $12 for the rest of the weekend.

I have been playing Black Ops 2 and the MP is fun as hell.

I don't recall exactly when I saw it for less than $10, but it was this week. Anyway, the F3 GOTY version is still $12 till the 27th, including all the DLC.

I find the Fallout games are very good deals when it comes to $/hr! :grin: