CaptSopwith

A Prolonged Absence

So, with that... a very battered, very tired, and very weary CaptSopwith is back and reporting for duty. It's good to be back.

How is everyone here? Please, some happier stories are certainly in order...

Edited by CaptSopwith

So sorry to hear of your troubles but welcome back.

For what it's worth, that's what happened in my first marriage. I gave up nearly everything else in my life that meant anything to me at the time to save it but it was for naught. It took nearly ten years and a LOT of water under a LOT of bridges, but I found the woman who was truly my match and we have a son who's progressing nicely in the Army with one tour in Afghanistan under his belt. Sadly, I lost her to a stroke nearly two years ago, but she kept her promise to give me the rest of her life. Know that this woman was NOT your match and the right one is out there and you will meet her.

Keep your spirit and your wheels up.

My words may not seem much, but about what your gf did, don't worry, the sea is enormously big and there are soooo many fish in there, I'm sure you'll find one that fits better with you than the cheating one!

I know that those situations can look real bleak in the beginning, but trust me, I've been there more than once and always got over it and moved on. I'm pretty sure you will also!

Keep your chin up and move on, don't look back on that, it can only get better now!

My best regards, Kodiak.

Edited by Kodiak

Welcome back. I've been where you're at, and it just sucks. I've had some huge setbacks in my life, and they were damn painful, but they made me the successful, happy man I am now because no matter how tough things were and no matter how long it took, I believed that I could make my life better.

As Abraham Lincoln, a famous melancholic, wrote: " A man is about as happy as he decides to be." So find what makes you happy, even if it's flying BHaH with a snoot full of Jameson. I'm doing the same tonight...I had a good day, worked around the house, sang Carmina Burana with the local symphony tonight, came home to a loving wife, had a couple shots of Maker's Mark, flew a short mission, and now it's off ot bed to snuggle. Life is good.

As one of my British friends used to say, "Keep your pecker up!"

Edited by BirdDogICT

I am very much affected what has happened to you. Believe me, I know these problems even only too well! Unfortunately, I've often tried to gain control of some problems with Alcohol on the Weekend if I was alone, however, this was also not the right Way (in some Case, not always). Hold up your Head, learn from what has happened to you, and some Day in the Future WOFF will also come to you, and then one has a new duty again. The prejoy on it certainly helps :biggrin:

Captain, that sounds like you had to deal with misfortunes others may only see spread over several years.

Sorry for that, man - but I feel you will overcome it soon.

Drinks are an unhealthy way to punish yourself, and don't give me that they relax - they may do for a short

time, but then they wreck everything else. And I know what I'm talking about.

OFF flying in a single player offline campaign sounds so much better for the free hours.

I have been flying "another sim" online a lot lately, but I experienced that this often rather caused more stress

on top of my daily one.

Forget about love for a while; then it may come back to you naturally one day.

Hold out, until WOFF will appear like the Silver Surfer, to save you - I bet the forum will florish like spring then.

Edited by Olham

All I can say, is that when all else failed, and I ran out of Jameson to drink, my flight sims have kept me sane. Somehow, as stupid as it sounds, just being able to fly a patrol got my mind off the hell that I've been in for the last five weeks.

Doesn't sound stupid at all. I've always said OFF is good therapy.

Keep your head up Sopwith. We're all here for you, in whatever therapeutic capacity we can provide. I to be honest haven't flown a mission in OFF since September 2011. Number of reasons for it, mostly just lack of time as I'm working and preparing for law school, and games in other genres and other systems keeping me busy. But I have every intention of finishing my RFC campaign before WOFF.

Welcome back!

I will hold all of this in my prayers..

May there be many better days ahead..

I have a hard time adding to the great things that have been said here. Infidelity hurts so deeply, it has been said that losing your love to death is easier. And with everything else going on around it, you think you just aren't going to make it sometimes. My mother's best friend and my dad had an affair while she was carrying my sister, and it ripped my mother apart; I can't understand what kind of thinking allows a person to do such a thing.

But OFF is good therapy, I believe as well. And the company of people who care for you, even if only through typewritten words on a screen. You have my prayers as well; welcome back!

(PS, I'm with Olham on the Jamison's - good Irish whisky for good occasions, but it don't drown your troubles very well - you probably noticed...)

Edited by HumanDrone

Hi Guys,

I honestly don't know what to say! I'm overwhelmed by the kindness and support you guys have shown me - it really means a lot! Things are already looking up on my end; friends (the good, genuine variety) have rallied around me and I'm already getting to know a certain new person that I've only recently met. Life moves on and life gets better... I hold out hope for that. You are all a great group of guys - words truly fail me at times like this. I'll be gone for Thanksgiving holiday (back to see family and without internet) but I'll return soon.

Thank you again!

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Enjoy your trip home and the comforts of family life, Capt!

Keep your head up old chap... and it doesnt sound stupid that OFF keeps you sane... As to the personal life it happens that way sometimes but all you can do is pick yourself up and dust yourself down and keep on going...

Hear Hear! Well said gents! I'm doing worlds better already! Heading home for turkey day today, should be a good time with the family - minus the cold I've picked up... Hope you all have a lovely weekend and for those of us who are Stateside, a very Happy Thanksgiving with you and yours.

Just checking in, how are things going Capt? I hope you are feeling better.

von Baur I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your son is home with no more deployments in his near future!

Capt - Sorry to have read about your personal issues..but better to have found about about both sooner then later.

Good to read that you've now got things sorted out.

"Change of planes and assignments"..always a good start ! ;>)

Regards,

Royce

CaptSopwith;

I'm late in responding to this thread and am happy to hear things are starting to look up! I learned a long time ago that passion can lead one down the wrong road if not kept in check. For myself, I found that nurturing a sound relationship on friendship and understanding made for a happier time later and a willingness to let myself get deeper involved without suffering so many failures. It's kind of like assessing the enemy in a potential combat encounter before deciding whether to jump in or run if you know what I mean.

Wish you all the best

OK so life's mission has been a crapper this past while for you.

I'm happy because I haven't been shot down in ages. Perhaps its because I'm not flying? Oh well. On Monday my 2004 F 150 went in for a repair. I knew it was going to be expensive ~ $ 2500. I found out that total repairs were likely $ 5200, including brakes, etc. Hmm. So, start looking for newer trucks and think I can trade mine in for ~ $ 5500. Tuesday I had vetted 4 trucks. By 5:00 pm, I found out they had all gone, or just weren't up to scratch. The dealer said they couldn't find anything either. Then, I got a phone call that the trucks engine, was worse than they first thought, when they pulled it all apart. It was toast. New engine cost ~ $ 10,000. Value of my truck = $ 0. When they put it back together so I could drive it of the lot, and maybe even get another month or two out of it, the tension adjusters crapped out, and the engine was really banging. I had to leave on Thursday for work out of town. My wife needs a truck as the family is planning to be at the inlaws for Christmas, some 900 km away, and for our travel trailer, and dirt bikes. Hmm. So, I didn't sleep that night, and got to go to the dentist for a crown prep the next morning. Hmm, fun. After leaving the dentist's I got a phone call. I fairly new F 150 just came in. The fellow who brought it in wanted an upgrade, and he was a wholesaler. He offered me $ 5500 for my F 150. I owed the dealer $ 2000 for the repair. WOW. I'm up $3500. They gave the guy $ 32000 on trade in. They then offered it to me for $ 30,000, which included my trade in, money owing on repairs, and 13% TAX. Its a 2012 F 150 ecoboost Crew Cab 4 x 4 XLT, with Chrome pkg, trailer tow pkg, convenience pkg, locking diff. and 3.5 L V6 twin turbo, towing some 9000 lbs. Retail 6 months earlier, $ 42,000. So, I now, well the bank owns, this truck. I went to work the next day, and my wife is driving home with the kids, dog, and cats, next week. Talk about down to the 11th hour!

So, there are miracles. After you get through this spell, you will look back and say how lucky you were to get this sorted out now, and not a year from now.

Good luck mate.

Cheers,

Britisheh

Crikey! Sounds like you had a time of it British!

Also, I completely forgot I ever posted this! The remainder of the semester was a blur of sleep deprivation and paper writing and grading... I've spent the last three days sleeping it all off and getting over being sick for the last month. But things are definitely looking on the up! I finished the term, battered and in need of improvement, but with a clear head and I walked off the field under my own power, so that's a win.

And, as they say, it really does happen when you're not looking. Turns out someone new has liked me all semester. And it turns out we have everything in common. We both love good jazz, good books, stargazing, and yes, even flight sims! She's asked me to show her around OFF a few times... good fun! My life bears no resemblance to what I wrote about back in November - thank God!

And thank you guys. Your comments, messages of support, and hell, just getting to read what everyone was up to was a big stress reliever - one that I am continually thankful for when I encounter some rough spots in life. This wasn't the first time, I'm sure it won't be the last, but as always, you were all greatly apprecaited!

Here's to a far improved 2013 - providing the Mayans aren't right in a few days! ;)

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Its a 2012 F 150 ecoboost Crew Cab 4 x 4 XLT, with Chrome pkg, trailer tow pkg, convenience pkg, locking diff.

and 3.5 L V6 twin turbo, towing some 9000 lbs. Retail 6 months earlier, $ 42,000.

I'm dizzy now - I have no knowledge about American/Canadian trucks, I beg for screenshots - errh, photos! :grin:

Sounds like you had a lot of mental combat pilot training recently, Britisheh!

Good luck for the new truck.

I guess you will double-relax over Xmas time now?

It's not too bad to be owned by a bank - now they have to treat you good. :big_boss:

Edited by Olham

Glad to hear the good news Britisheh!

Looks like you have it all now, Great ride and Promising new mate!!! They say good and bad things come in three's. I wonder what the next wonderful event will be!!!

Live long and prosper!!