Well, I bought this Sim when it came out...and it was an utter disaster!..... but, I left it installed on Steam..and noticed it downloading an update..So I fired it up...and it's MUCH improved!

If you have it..check it's fully updated is my advice. It's still not perfect...but it's now playable at least...the stuttering over Land seems to have been redressed.

Playing CloD lately too, it´s really nice and fluid and the graphics are awesome too!!

Enjoy it for what it is. Read on their forums that is the last patch for CLOD. They are moving on to the next segment.

I thought that the sequel would have been the Med but...

Another Eastern front!

I bought the game last Xmas in a very smart price.

Some very nice aspects but overally more kind of beta than a finished project.

I haven't tried it since the latest patch, though...

I'll have to fire it up again. I don't suppose the campaigns have changed any? I'd love to see a marraige between BoBII and CLoD :D

Yeah, give it a whirl Baldric...no, the layout/missions havent changed...though strangely...you now get aerobatic planes too...Red Bull style (for online play I suspect?)

Thanks for the review JediMaster. And most importantly for me it has to be run with STEAM and its requirements. Now I don't feel bad at all about passing on spending money and time for CLoD. I am sorry to say but I get the feeling that Battle for Moscow or whatever may be just a ploy to get more cash for a company whose products and policies are on a downward slide.

Hey, if I'm going to be forced to play the thing AND write about it the LEAST you can do is read it. :biggrin:

As I said, there's nothing "bad" about it, it's more like this feels like (minus the graphical improvements and some modeling aspects) this product preceded Il-2, FB, PF, and 1946 as opposed to succeeded it as there are a notable lack of features that those had.

So if you already paid for it and had it sitting on the back burner for months, load it up again and try it out before you dump it. Nothing to lose but a little of your time at this point. If you have NOT bought it, well caveat emptor because Il-2:1946 + Team D updates + mods may be what you want more than CloD.

Could you precise "Team D updates + mods" a bit more, JediMaster?

I read there are even good Pacific Theater mods, but one can easily get lost in the sheer amount of stuff.

It would be great, if someone could post correct sequences of updates and possible mods

for the various theaters. Perhaps two or three ways to go?

Edited by Olham

Team D is Team Daedalus that took over the development of IL-2 1946, after Maddox Games abandoned the project.

They have released a couple of patches since then, including new planes and the improved AI behaviour among others.

The latest patch is v. 4.11

In notice that you have to check the compatibility of Mods to add on because the recent Team D patches are kind of Mod unfriendly.

(HSFX 6.0 is compatible with 4.11 I think, but I haven' played IL-2 for a year or so...)

Some online action with HSFX 6.0

Edited by elephant

Just a quick heads up - at time of this posting, Gamefly has Clod on sale for £2.50.

Less than a pint of the finest, so prolly worth a punt if your still on the fence.

Yeah..I mean I have Il2 1946 and it's various mods...I'm perhaps the only person in history...to not be a massive fan. I know, I know...the work the modders have done is truly amazing...but as a sim, it (to me) just never felt right. Too 'nice' for my liking.

I'll just get my coat and leave now...to avoid the incoming! :)

I feel the same as you, UKW, although I found them too hokey rather than too nice. Tried 'em, got rid of them. I'll get TeamD stuff, but that's it.

Flying IL-2 online with a friend as my wingman used to be big fun.

Not sure if that can still be done with the mods?

<raises hand> I have to admit being similar in mindset UKW. I've had IL2 since just after release and probably had more fun trying to make authentic skins and playing co-op homemade missions done by a friend than anything too serious but that was quite some time ago. I dabbled a bit over the last couple of years ago trying the 352nds Channel Map and some user made BoB scenarios, one of the mod packs (HSF?) but it just didn't grab me. Not really sure why. For all its eccentricities I enjoy BoB II (rebuild by BDG) and it's grittiness. Currently addicted to Air Hauler in FSX flying some vintage craft while waiting for WOFF. Woof!

• Like 1

CLOD is a waste of money. Everything that could be made to go wrong was made to go wrong in the development process. IL2 1946 with mods is still easily the best WW2 sim available, though obviously its age is showing in some ways.

Battle of Britain 2.11 is a joy to fly, although the graphics are a bit dated (mch like IL2 1946). I'm waiting for the 2.12 upgrade...looks to be a big leap forward.

It's not an accident that some of the best sims currently available are mods (e.g., OFF, BOBII).

• Like 1

+1 BirdDog on BobII. When 2.12 is released, looks to be a game changer, so to speak, and not just an update. I just wished that Mig Alley had received the same attention after the BDG patch. Oh well....

From the simple stand point of shear mods, IL-2 1946 remains my favorite WWII sim. My #DBW mods folder now weighs in at 16.7gb by itself, thanks to the efforts of Monty27 and several SAS modders verifying compatibility. There's even a mod for the P-51 wheel well panels to close after engine startup and hydraulic pressure rises.

Even though there was no real dynamic campaign written into Il-2, the community has produced some of the best scripted and dynamically generating campaings out there covering almost all areas of WWII.

plug_nickel

Back on topic. For those who want, a modded RAF campaign for CoD has been released. Info here:

http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3654577

plug_nickel

Nice one!....good to see the modders have started to come on board...and thanks for the link...looks like a must have.

Has anyone made the AI flyable yet?