Has anybody seen or have a pic of the white F4U-1D Corsair? I know it was a USMC machine but can't remember which squadron.

I think you are referring to the AU-1 Corsair......AES-12 Squadron,USMC 1957. I posted a copy in the SF1 Downloads section.

Nope, I'm talking about a pic I saw once on the Internet of -1A/D from a Marine squadron during WW2. It was painted white with a black anti-glare panel and the national insignias had a red outline.

Not the best reference but just so you get an idea of what I'm talking about (from Aces High II)...

and you TRUST Aces High II??

:lmao:

Got some more info: the plane was put together by Marine Service Squadron 11 from parts gathered from wrecked aircraft and had the side number SS11 and the name "Sally" painted on the nose.

Oh, and it was natural metal, not white.

Hello, don't know if anyone is still interested, but this plane was in the Palau's during late 1944.

My father flew out of Peleliu with VMF 122.
Some of the pilots of VMF 122 took this picture with 'Sally', my father is standing in the back row.

post-93998-0-86964900-1471965637_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

rckhp's picture (awesome by the way) probably shows the aircraft you're referring to.  I doubt that's white in the black & white photo.  That's a bare aluminum Corsair.  Less weight and drag would make it faster.  My old '58 C-182 was polished aluminum and that saved 15 pounds.  That would probably be well over 60 pounds on a Corsair.

A little more information.

VMF-122 arrived in Espiritu Santo on July 27, 1944 off of the aircraft carrier USS Hollandia from San Diego.

On July 28, 1944, they moved to the Turtle Bay Fighter Strip with MAG-11, Second Marine Aircraft Wing.

I believe this is where the 'Sallly' the aluminum plane was located as would have been Service Squad 11.  The new incoming pilots had this picture taken because the plane was so unique.

Attached is a page from the War Diary for July 1944, written by J. Hunter Reinburg the CO of VMF-122 'Werewolves' at the time.

From Espiritu Santo, they were moved to Peleliu.

If anyone has any additional information, I would appreciate.

Also, if anyone can identify any of the other pilots in this photo, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-93998-0-83319900-1472067328_thumb.jpg

post-93998-0-58003600-1472067756_thumb.jpg

• Like 2