Grinseed

FE, the place to be, appreciative ramble of a virtual pilot on a lazy morn in the officers' club.....

Over the past few months I have been around the flight sim block.

I picked up a powerful computer, FE2, RoF, OFF(BHaH,HitR) and FS2004 and FSX. I even revisited IL-2 with my new graphics card.

Now all these sims are good in their own way as they are different from each other. I am enjoying their differences and I will keep them all loaded on my rig to fly as I feel the need but I notice I always keep coming back to First Eagles.

For sheer ease of use, the freedom to fly campaigns as I want, without having to achieve a specfic goal, apart from surviving, the difficulty and challenges of fighting a competent enemy AI (no Trackir, no outside view and targeting only at the point of combat engagement) and the joy of being able to modify the game in almost any aspect brings FE to the forefront of my collection of sims.

Thanks to all who have contributed aircraft, fms, skins, terrain, sounds, missions, campaigns, ground objects etc and have kept FE interesting and enjoyable.

Hals und Beinbruch!

Grinseed

Yes, one of FE/FE2 strongest points is the ability to "mod / tinker" to your hearts content.

Each of your mentioned sims has it's strong points, but FE/FE2 tops them all when it comes to the ability to mod it the way you want it and add new planes, skins, effects, terrains and campaigns. :ok:

Considering the amount of time and effort you get for free from the generous modding members of the community, it rivals the old Red Baron 3d days. Like all the Thirdwire sims, it's a tinkerer's paradise. And the dogfights are always intense and difficult, with that wonderful moment when you realize "that chap's going down."

Edited by Heck

Amen to all of the above!

I have been an avid reader of WW1 airwar books and lore from Biggles, to Arthur Gould Lee, to Revell, van Wyndgarden et al, and while I miss some of RB3D's little trimmings (like the logbook and the 'guy jumping over the fence' escape video clip, no WW1 sim I have ever played does such a good job of bringing to life the experience of leading a patrol and the thrill of air-to-air combat, as described by those who knew it best, as FE/FE2.

I've only had this game a few days and I must say I'm impressed! I have to agree with what's already been posted - haven't had this much fun since I played European Air War.

I think I'll have to expand my WW1 aviation library - I need to know more. :biggrin:

Mike. :smile: