Mike1

So, what have missed?

Hi everyone,

A random comment over on another forum I use made me re-install my copy of SFP1 and have a muck about, which led me to buying First Eagles second hand and having a go at that.

I'm glad that the skins I did for the Mirage Factory's F-5E haven't gone to waste and I'm astounded to see how many people downloaded the "New Nations Pack" for SF! :shok: I see that TK expanded his own Nations.ini in the later patches!

I see that a lot has happened in the interim, so what, exactly, have I missed?

Mike. :smile:

Sounds like everything SF2 onwards! Every first-gen titled was rereleased (including First Eagles 2), and then we got one expansion pack (Exp 2 for Europe) and one new title (North Atlantic) not previously done for first gen. We've also had a couple of dozen DLCs, mostly simple changes that were already done as mods, a few skin packs, and a couple of good things like a campaign customizer and the mission editor (which came with Exp 2, but if you didn't want that you could now get it separately).

SF2 uses DX10/11, so it looks better and runs faster than gen 1 titles on Vista/7/8 PCs. It's not a HUGE leap over SF1, though. Notably MP was deleted, so it's SP only now.

Also, there's a large amount of dissatisfaction with TK that's come to the fore in recent months (basically NA was supposed to be a "brave new world" and many thought it was more a "timid new parking lot"), and many are now looking to ED's DCS World as the Next Big Thing. Personally I think DCS World will never get as far in that scene because it costs more and isn't as easily moddable, but what there is to fly is generally done to a higher degree of fidelity. If only they could get more terrains out than the Caucasus!

its nice to some off the oldes ones coming back!

my advice get a copy of SF2 and go from there lots of goodies there.

Hmm, interesting.

I did see the version 2 of the games, but as my comps still running on XP, they're a closed door at the moment. I'll possibly have a look as and when I upgrade.

In the meantime I'll have a good rake through the archives and see if I can get myself more or less up to date!

Thanks for the welcome cocas! Much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Edited by Mike1

all but SF2NA can run in XP i use it untlil last year in my old rig

Aaah, that's even better news! :cool:

Wonder why Thirdwire's store says they won't? I assume that means that the games aren't supported on XP, but will run?

Mike,

That's right. Specially, the SF2 series all support bump and specular mapping, but only on DX 10 or 11. On DX9, those features are disabled. But most of the other coding features are supported.

FC

Mike,

That's right. Specially, the SF2 series all support bump and specular mapping, but only on DX 10 or 11. On DX9, those features are disabled. But most of the other coding features are supported.

FC

Thanks FC - I've bought FEG, but I'll see about getting one of the 2nd gen games and having a nosey.

Thanks again,

Mike. :good: