warthog64

Extending the Range of Aircraft

It's all in the title, is there a way to do this? When flying a mission in SF2V for example, I always seem to run out of fuel on a mission from Korat to Hanoi and back. Since there is of course no air refueling in TW games I was wondering if there is a way to extend the range of aircraft. I know it wouldn't be accurate but it's just a game.

Thanks

edit the loadout ini, and always carry drop tanks

the MiGs are notorious (since SFP1) for NOT having tanks all the time -- which they should have

Or just change your "Fuel Usage" from Hard to Normal, and simulates Air-to-Air refueling.

I usually carry drop tanks, and my fuel usage is set to normal. However I will try to carry less ordnance and see if this helps enough. I guess alot of it is due to performing maneuvers and using afterburner to avoid AAA and MIGS.

Thanks for the info guys

Something else to keep in mind is how much time you spend in afterburner, you can suck your tanks dry in real hurry if your not carefull.

of course, one could really cheat...

and adjust the BSFC down to near zero...

but then, you'd never get light enough for full manuvering

Don't forget to grab some altitude when outside of the danger zone, you will get much better fuel economy.

You can achieve a long enough range even in hard settings but keep in mind that a decisive factor is the type of aircraft you fly. For example an F-4E has longer range than a Mig-21MF with two drop tanks. This is because Phantom has almost the double internal fuel capacity the Fishbed has.

The duration you use afterburner is very essential. Use it only when is necessary, in dogfight maneuvers or when flying inside AAAs range etc.

Also try to use the High - Low - High flight profile which means fly high while approaching the target area, dive and fly low when you are in the target area and return to home base flying high. You can extend very much your range when flying with this profile. This is because aircrafts fly faster in high altitudes and fuel consumption is lower.

However if you don't mind make the game less realistic, you can simply modify the aircraft_data.ini by increasing the internal fuel capacity.

increasing the internal capacity increase the weight; better to lower fuel consumption by BFSC editing

either way is still wrong!! :biggrin:

Edited by Wrench

I fly with as many fuel tanks as i can. Wont drop them even in dogfight unless they are empty. Too many times in SF2NA i´ve run out of fuel in CAPs chasing secondary targets because i forgot to switch the gunpod for a drop tank in F-4J/Ns, or in supersonic low level interceptions with Mirages/ Lightnings

Edited by macelena

use ALT+N keys and you will never have fuel problems

use ALT+N keys and you will never have fuel problems

I don't know..I've run out of fuel even after using Alt-N.

FC

Well, I always make it back to base, sometimes with near-empty tanks, but I still do.Anyway, I think that tiopilotos's post says everything you need to know.Fly in altitudes that don't have a great impact on your speed, don't use a lot of power unless you need it/are going to need it in the next minutes, and, well, drop tanks.

You can achieve a long enough range even in hard settings but keep in mind that a decisive factor is the type of aircraft you fly. For example an F-4E has longer range than a Mig-21MF with two drop tanks. This is because Phantom has almost the double internal fuel capacity the Fishbed has.

The duration you use afterburner is very essential. Use it only when is necessary, in dogfight maneuvers or when flying inside AAAs range etc.

Also try to use the High - Low - High flight profile which means fly high while approaching the target area, dive and fly low when you are in the target area and return to home base flying high. You can extend very much your range when flying with this profile. This is because aircrafts fly faster in high altitudes and fuel consumption is lower.

However if you don't mind make the game less realistic, you can simply modify the aircraft_data.ini by increasing the internal fuel capacity.

Not any more. That mod exploited a bug in the fuel-burn tables, which Third Wire has since fixed.

Awts. Of all the things to be fixed, TK bothered with one that he shouldn't have.