Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

Avionic help Chengdu J-7III

Hi guys,

Wrench is releasing the J-7 Series and I have a mod of the current TK MF version here that represents the J-7III. My problem is, I have no idea about the avionics that is used in that "not so old" chinese version. I have read about a HUD.

If someone is willing to help me with this project, pls PM me or contact me in this topic.

The current status is:

- Highres Cockpit textures and MiG-21MF Cockpit

- Highres Skin of a silver MiG-21 "reworked" to represent the white scheme of the PLAAF

- Ini edits to match the chinese weapons and reworked Loadout.ini

- ini edits for the numbers and PLAAF markings

Im not a skinner and this project was created for my personal use, but if you like it, I would like to finish it with your help and releasing it to complete the current J-7 series started by TMF and Wrench.

post-8289-0-22186800-1353083411.jpg

post-8289-0-07539600-1353107361.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

Oh yes... I like your project!

I've found this: http://www.sinodefen.../fighter/j7.asp

I suppose the other J-7III designation is J-7C? There is an interesting "J-7C" section in this joint link.

Avionics could be équivalent to the early TK F-16A?

I try to find other documentation,

Coupi.

Edited by Coupi

From Yefim Gordons book:

- JL-7 pulse-doppler radar, AA(search/track/IFF) and AG(rangefinding) mode, 28 km range

- HK-13A HUD

- KJ-11 autopilot

- ADS-1 air data computer

- WL-7 radio compass

- Type 264a radio altimeter

- XS-6A beacon marker receiver

- type 481 data link/radio navigation system

- type 506 HF radio

- type 605A IFF transponder

- type 930-II RWR

- GT-1 chaff/flare dispenser

Engine: WP-13, 40212 dry/ 64721,62 wet

Type 23-III (copy of GSh-23L) - 200rds

4 pylons, PL-2 or PL-5 IR missiles(and various load)

Maiden flight April 26 1984

I know some stuff is irrelevant for the game but it's cool for info :wink:

Avionics could be équivalent to the early TK F-16A?

Yes and no. The J-7C did have improvements over the Mig-21MF's avionics, but they were very limited improvements (somewhat increased fuel capacity, new hud and some new avionics). Most of it was based around the JL-7 fire-control radar, but it's reliability was very poor and required significant down time between jaunts to recalibrate. Also, it was significantly heavier than the previous radar (something like 107kgs), had an operational range of 29kms and suffered poorly from background clutter when attempting to target low flying aircraft. It also used the same engine, the WP-13 that was used on the J-7A/B variants. So the added weight of the fuel and the newer radar restricted it's agility to being less than that of previous versions. The first variant to resemble the early model F-16As didn't appear until the J-7E and that didn't go into production until 1992. There's a great article in Combat Aircraft monthly on the J-7, J-8, J-10 and J-11 that covers their historical development in the June 2010 issue.

Brain, what's the name of that book? I've got different stats from my sources, just curious.

i'm gonna guess this one,

published by Ian Allen co.

fantastic book on the fishbed!!

should be availabe at farposst ru or modelfan ru

I have some infos already collected, but the HUD integration is not my thing. Have no idea how to create a custom one. I could just copy paste the vipers one but that$ not the result we wouldlike to have.

If someone says hey i would dothe job, so i would pack up that project and send it over.

I would also like to have a volunteer for the camo job.

The J-7III A is a more advanced version with SAHM capability.

If this call for help \ support will work, so we can release thoses two versions.

All involved will be credited, thats sure. As it started as a personal project it was ok for me as it was, but now i would like to work with you guys.

Thank you in advance

i'm gonna guess this one,

published by Ian Allen co.

fantastic book on the fishbed!!

should be availabe at farposst ru or modelfan ru

That's the one I have. Ton's and ton's of Fishbed info...

blackbird, take a looka the IAF MiG-21 BISon, that in the sf2 d/l section. I did itup, and EricJ uploaded it (minus the serial decals!!!)

it uses a modified A-4F pit, with full HUD, TEWS and all sorts of stuff.

the only problem I see in using Paladrian's MF pit, is you may have to remove the 'gun camera' thingy on the center right of HUD collumator glass (a faily easy text edit of the cockpit in, once the mesh is identified), and a different radar bmp (not the RP21 or RP22, mabye the F16s or Phantom or whatever for the 1970s look)

perhaps using the various HUD tgas from the J7II and F7M, with the MF pit could be one of the ways to go. The most difficult will be the RWR, as it's only the SPO??? type, with 4 light. It would probably be a 'full screen' with th grid, like on western aircraft

addding th HUD stuff is pretty much done in the avionics ini, and using avionics 70 dll

Thanks for the advice will see what i can do with the HUD files and the cockpit. The RWR will stay the same, i know you can sucrifise an instrument for a working Rwr so maybe we could use this as a possibility.

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Martin, i´ve got some good templates.

I can help you out with skinning.

hopefully this project from you will be released someday... ;-)

• Like 1

Haha, yes please. I can send you the current files later. I think i have some templates for the skin i use, but if you have them already. Pls go ahead.

I would be happy to have skins made by you in this package.

We need two skins, one white PLAAF and one camo skin.

Thank you in advance.

NP Martin,

just need references for the camo one!

Have send you some references, its not much but I hope it`s ok. The plane itself will follow this evening. Will check this week the HUD data and the "movingparts" entry for the MiG cockpit

Hope this is something you like Martin!

BTW, there is the afterburner texture always showing up in the engine and maybe add working canopy...

post-911-0-56690600-1354559952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Man thats the right direction, thank you so much. The canopy should work, have added the entry from a sf1 mod, also added the landinlights from the old modding days.

Im thinking about just redo the 21U canopy from Florian for a more proper shape. So we could also have the jj-7 and 21U version. But all in 2013.

Maybe check the canopy front in the skin, i have just repainted it plain white. Maybe you can add there some detail, i was not able to so it so i have white it out. :(

Im absolutly happy with the result, thanks.

you mean a canopy frame?

I looked, but as far as i can found, the PLAAF J7III are all white....

BTW, contact Russo, he is working on a new 21UM...

There are some minor differences in the shape between MiG-21MF and J-7III. The most obviesly is the other parachutehousing of the J-7III. The other is that the J-7 has a lot of opening panels which the MiG-21MF does not have. To make a J-7III, i think, it would be neccessary to make a new skin with the different opening panels instead to use a MiG-21MF skin.

Ok small update:

-The cockpit will stay the same as the MF one, only HUD is added to the avionics, if someone wants to try out to find the "parts" name to remove the projector ( no idea how its caled) in the cockpit, pls go ahead.

-Skins will be made by Soulfreak (cant wait to test them )

• Like 2

In the SF1 weapons download section, there is a 720l J-7 tank uploaded long time ago.

http://combatace.com/files/file/5828-j-7-tank-720l/

From pictures I have seen, this tank is loaded only on the center line wet station.

The outer wing wet stations carry the original 490l tank.

Hope that helps for this and the other J-7 uploaded recently...

Parachute housing looks more rounder on the J-7III as on the MF.

But due to that the 3d Model is not available, these changes could not be made.

Edited by Soulfreak

If the parachute housing is a separate node from the vertical tail, it could be hidden with an ini edit.

Then a new parachute housing could be added as a fake seat.

If the parachute housing is a separate node from the vertical tail, it could be hidden with an ini edit.

Then a new parachute housing could be added as a fake seat.

If there will only be one skin then it would make sence.

But not with a lot skins (4 planned till now)