UK_Widowmaker

Thinking of Buying a Puppy for Christmas?

Agree, even if I like animals one of my family member bought a little female Bulldog, or more a living feces factory... hope it will past quickly !

agree my policy never give a live pet to any one

if they want one they get it for them selfs

Agreed, Pets as gifts unless the receiver is well prepared (and expecting the pet) are a BAD idea.

Sorry, I don't understand english very well :

Is "puppy" a reduced scale Sopwith pup painted in cute colors ?

Get A Caned Ham, thay come house trained. :biggrin:

Edited by RAVEN

I think the only time I gave something living to someone for Christmas it was a virus.

Oh, they're not sure if those are even alive, are they?

Either way, it was NOT a hit.

If the person who is requesting a puppy is prepared and has the required knowledge to raise a puppy then there is no better gift!

Training a dog to do their business outside, and behave inside is actually not too hard for most breeds, but it is time consuming!

Dogs are the best friends we have, but if you're not sure if the recipient of the puppy is responsible enough then DON'T get them a puppy.

Best Breeds IMO are, Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, Newfoundland Retriever, Beagle

My wife and I are looking at getting a pair of pups real soon and I'll definitely get them from Animal Welfare again. The last dog I had was a rescue (a whole litter, just dumped by some a$$hole), of the few who survived was my pup, the runt no less. My sister nursed her back to health initially, then when she moved back home about 18 months after getting her and she was the best thing that happened to us. She lived for 16 years, looking out for us, taking me for walks (seriously, you went where she wanted to go), watching over and protecting my nephew like a Samurai after he was born and making sure he didn't get into trouble by following him around the yard when he learned to run, making sure I was okay and keeping me company or chewing my shoe laces after I would fall asleep on what passed for my porch after a big night out.on the sauce in my youth. She was incredible! She never did get the concept of bringing the ball back to you though. You'd always have to chase her down, tackle her and fight her for it... I won sometimes. So it absolutely gutted us when she died after a short battle with an aggressive tumor, on 1 Jan 2010. I stayed with her though the end, she needed a friend to be with her on the way out. It was a truly... awful experience. Nevertheless, I'd go through it all again without a second's hesitation, because animals are awesome and you are, without question, better for having had them in your life!

These people who think they can treat them like an appliance and discard them for stupid reasons, or just treat them inhumanely make me sick. They have no soul. The animals I've had were better at being human than these filth and it really bums me out that we keep going through this again at Christmas. Widowmaker, your Shopenhauer quote is bang on. Truer words...

Animals are very good for children as they learn a lot of things with them, but not only children but also (and mostly) parents must be ready to welcome them.

The main difficulty if children want a puppy (or a kitty) is in making them take care of their new friend without putting a too heavy burden on them.

Animals are very good for children as they learn a lot of things with them, but not only children but also (and mostly) parents must be ready to welcome them.

The main difficulty if children want a puppy (or a kitty) is in making them take care of their new friend without putting a too heavy burden on them.

You're right of course...Children should have pets...but the problem comes when parents are put under pressure to 'rush out and buy'