Olham

New Photos again at "Buddecke" Website

The website "Buddecke" has added new photos, mostly of the 'Reihenbildzug 4' (unit which made long lines of aerial photos,

which were later put together to one large picture). This observer/photographer is wearing a "Muff" (don't know the English

word); a tube of cloth, wool or fur, to put your hands into from both sides to keep them warm.

I'd like to remmoned this site again - lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.buddecke.de/neu.htm

full-27170-46741-rhbz4d.jpg

If we wanted to know, how hard the conditions could sometimes be for the flyers -

the "Buddecke" website has the answer with this photo of Jasta 27 pilots in their

winter gear. Damn, I don't know if I had been hard enough for flying in an open

cockpit under such harsh weather conditions...

full-27170-51816-jasta_27_1918.jpg

Except from von der Meppen's extreme height (out of scale comparing to the others),

I hadn't seen before this Goering's D.V...

The paint scheme seems to combine features of his former D.IIIs and D.Vs.

Looks like the fuselage is black with a white tail section but is the whole engine hood painted white as well?

(or it's just sun glare?)

The wings seems to be of lozenge fabric but what about the (roughly painted) stripes on top?

The white parts look identical to his old D.III ones but with about inner colour?

Here is his summer '17 mount, D.1027/17...

4822152381_7db7d94dbf_o.jpg

You must have hawkeyes - I cannot even say, if the wings are Lozenge?

I would say the hood is a much brighter colour, not black. If it was black, it could

appear brighter with the sun from above, but not that much, I'd say.

The stripes on the wings may appear "rougly painted" because the fabric over

the ribs 'makes hills and valleys'.

Edited by Olham

My interpretation of lozenge was because I couldn't see any camo demarcation lines and

I thought I saw two repetitive darker colour patches on the left of Goering's arm...

I could be wrong.

I only thought of black (fuselage) because of Goering's former paint schemes.

If other than black could the inner colour of the upper wing be identical to the fuselage one?

I have to re-visit Peter Kilduff's book on Goering...

(I don't remember this pic included anyway).

There's nothing in the photo to indicate that this is Goering's plane. As a staged photo they could be standing in front of any plane in the Jasta. Goering may have taken the "high ground" when he posed because of his rank, not because it was his plane.

Cody, the Albatros D.III here shows the typical leader chevrons on Goering's top wing.

So the craft is most likely his. (Profile by Bob Pearson; found on RoF forum)

Yes, that's's logical, Cody but,

that upper wing striped pattern is so similar to his well known D.III's one,

when he was first commissioned CO of Jasta 27...

(far right on the foreground)

Jasta27lineup_zps79a8e1b1.jpg

count on this his well known vanity and you'll assume the plane has to be his own.

albatros_diii2049_goring_666.jpg

Now that I see his D.III again with the Buddecke site pic in mind, I can tell that a colour should be painted as well between the white lines,

as I can't see the factory camo in between...particularly on the left side where the under-imposed colour is the Venetian Red.

What this mystery colour would be... Olham?

He was a Bavarian, could it be Bavarian Blue?

Do you think I'm seeing ghosts?

albatros_diii2049_goring_new_zpsd90417ee.jpg

P.S. We posted at the same time as it seems...Olham.

Edited by elephant

You see no ghosts, elephant, I think you are spot on right - there must be a colour between the white chevrons.

As the colour doesn't appear very dark, it could well be blue. Also green.

Bavaria = blue and white, true. But they sometimes took the colours of previous units they came from.

So it would be interesting to know more about that.

After seeing the additional photo and the illustration I agree that it most likely is Goering's. Note that the colored stripe in between the two white stripes is much wider in the photographs than in Pearson's illustration.

Indeed, also the trimming on the vertical stabilizer cross was not existent, as the pics show.

Profile work is not a safe place to gather info...

I just used it to show the current belief on Goering's D.III scheme, in order to establish the inner colour theory,

In comparison to the photos of the real plane.

Yep, colours and markings research are a tricky terrain, as many photos do not show

the serial numbers of the planes. We must not forget that some pilots may have flown

several Albatros D.III, and later more than just one Albatros D.V - and they may have

varied some of their markings from one plane to the next.

So it would be imaginable after this photo, that one of Goering's planes had not only

a white nose, but a completely white engine hood.

More evidence would be great to find.

There are more new photos added to the "Buddecke" website; this time of Jasta 4.

There is a whole set of pictures from Jasta 4 pilot Heinz Graf von Gluszewski -

click on the blue line below the Staffel photograph here:

http://www.buddecke.de/jasta41918.htm

jasta41918.jpg

There are more new photos added to the "Buddecke" website; this time of Jasta 4.

There is a whole set of pictures from Jasta 4 pilot Heinz Graf von Gluszewski -

There's a caption to one of the photos (a 'visiting card' of Ernst Udet) that goes:

"Fotokarte von Ernst Udet mit Widmung:

Glupopo mein Freund, Ernst Udet 21.04.1933"

I'm assuming that "mit Widmung" means "with inscription". But what does "Glupopo" mean?

Edited by Hauksbee

Yes, inscription or dedication. No idea, what "Glupopo" means.

It may be a word made of shortages, which they used to use - or the nickname of the friend?

I think I read elsewhere that Glupopo was the nick for Heinz Gluszewski. Yes, Buddecke's website is an endless source of treasure. I incorporated the knowledge gleaned from that photo into WOFF a few days ago.

Cheers,

shredward

... I incorporated the knowledge gleaned from that photo into WOFF...

Raaahhh!!! A teaser, a teaser!!! When?!? When?!? When?!? When?!? When?!? :crazy:

Slightly later now as they must research the nicknames, pet names and favourite colours of every pilot to serve in the Great War.

Slightly later now as they must research the nicknames, pet names and favourite colours of every pilot to serve in the Great War.

Pet names and pet's names. That barking dog we hear in OFF is a pet you have to look after, Tamagochi-style, in WOFF.

Bugger, given it away now, Pol's gonna be real mad at me.

Edited by Dej

I'd like to hear the doggy make "WOFF! WOFF!" :imhappy:

Maeran, stop that!!! "Don't rain on our parade" mate!!! :biggrin:

Here is another new photo again from the great BUDDECKE website. They add new stuff quite often; it's always worth to check.

The photo shows Feldflieger-Abteilung 62 (FFA 62) with Max Immelmann (5. from left) in front of the "Immelmann-Haus" at Douai.

full-27170-61524-ffa62c.jpg