Sign in to follow this  
logan4

Modelling strangeness

Hi, I am working on a model and during its mapping process noticed some incorrect polys and corrected these while still having mapping assigned. It created a strange multiplying event in the number of vertices. For example mesh "APU-68ume_L" (see attached pic)

If I look at the mesh in max it shows 471 vertices. When I export it the "no decals" option shows some 929 and the one with "decals" show 2814. 938 polys which also close to double the actual count in max.

I tried the "resetXform" function of max and remapped the object but was no change. Is there any trick to get back to the original numbers of 450+poly and 560+vertex.

Or my only option is to recreate the mesh again from scratch?

Thanks any input in advance!

post-30564-0-76020900-1355194585_thumb.jpg

From my experience...a mapped poly usually assumes the same map as the one you previously mapped,then removed etc..all I canb think of is maybe you inadvertantly doubled the polies?..

Thanks the info Russo. I'm not sure as I created and worked with Editable poly mode for me easier to manipulate the object that way. As of now found 2 other loose vertex so the count vent down to 469 vertices and 490 polys - based on the mesh "object properties" data.

I had few minutes today and found if I convert the mesh from editpoly to editable mesh than the numbers in the "no decal" export are identical to the number of faces count in the max file. Somehow the exporter converts it to editable mesh?

Probably there where my headache comes from...

exporter count triangules(faces) not polys it normal for your poly count to got higgher after exporting i dont loose my slpeep over it any more

Editable Polys = Squares/Groups.

Exporter Converts Everything to Editable Mesh = Triangles

Thank you very much guys the info :drinks: . I thought it handles editpolys as polys(square/triangle) and editmeshes as face (only triangle). Then I go on, i believed I really messed up something. One more thing learned....