1. 1. How old are you?

• Under 20
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • Over 70

I may well be the oldest - I will be 64 on Christmas Day (if we are still allowed to call it that).

I'm still a dirty little pretentious 20 years old pubescent.

• Like 1

Well it ain't me I am a mere 41... and to Christmas Day always will be that to me even though I do not follow any religion apart from Good Food Good Wine and Good Friends... along with treat everyone as you expect to be treated... all this PC codswallop is ridiculous...

Well, it sure ain't me, at 57 I'm middle of the pack. Hauksbee will be tough to beat. I recall an 80-something guy over at sim-outhouse, flying CFS3 - ETO. God bless our elder statesmen, stay tough!

I feel sorry for all the older guys having to deal with majority of the internet users being pre-pubescent trolls (I'm looking at you YouTube). That's why I come here to CombatAce :P

Edited by RogerSmith
  • Like 1

54 and loving it. My kids are moved out. Still have most of my health. It's all good.

Hi Herr Prop-wasche I was in Ohio last year (my only ever trip to the US). Went to visit a friend who lives in Hillsboro and works at an airport close by that used to be USAF, then DHL and now is mostly unused. He is overhauling Boeing 777s (or 767s). We were trained together in the RAF 1966-8 and although I left the aircraft business years ago (1976) he is still in there. We went together to the USAF museum at Dayton, Ohio and I loved it! Actually I loved Ohio and Michigan, even Kentucky as we stayed over the river when in Cincinatti. The people were so pleasant it makes you wonder that we forriners get the wrong impression of the US only seeing (mostly) New York and LA and other big cities on the TV. Went on a boat trip up the Ohio river and loved it.

I remember during my Red Baron days I was always "the kid" - I was 16 when I first appeared on the boards. I'm 30 - at least for another two months so I can still click that beautiful 20-30 box and not the horrid 30-40 box! ;)

Small world, JimAttrill. I was just in Maysville, KY, which is about 70 miles upriver from Cincinnati; been to and through "Cincy" (and stayed in Florence, KY) a number of times. And yes, they are pleasant folk down that way - as, I hope, we Pittsburghers are as well. How far upriver did you go? Pittsburgh is a long haul, but the American Queen is supposed to be renewing cruises here all the way from New Orleans!

Shucks, Jim, I wish I had known you were having a visit! What did you think of our regional accents? North of the Ohio river, we mostly talk a fairly bland midwestern with some exceptions (occasionally you will hear someone say, "Give me those dirty clothes and I'll warsh them for you"), but just south of the river you start to really hear that southern twang! The twang tends to get stronger the farther south you go. In the upper midwest, you start to hear a fair bit of Canadian mixed in, eh!

I'm familiar with the former DHL airport in Wilmington and knew a couple of people who lost their jobs when the company closed up shop. At the time, I bet more than 75% of the population in Wilmington either worked for DHL or had a relative that worked for them, so it was a real shock to the community.

Glad you enjoyed the Air Force Museum. I've been there probably well more than a dozen times. If you go on a Friday (by appointment), they will even take you on a behind the scenes tour where they show you several aircraft currently not on display or that are in the process of being restored. A couple of years ago the museum restored the Memphis Belle, the famous B-17 that had been slowly rusting away at an outside display in Memphis. It's now safely on display in a hangar at the museum.

In September of 2014 the museum will be hosting a fly-in in honor of the 100th anniversary of the beginning of WWI. Last time I went there were many static displays and several flyable planes, along with books, memorabilia, and even a few re-enactors in full gear and get up! One guy even fired off a few blank rounds from a machine gun--a Vickers, I think. My avatar is a picture I took during that visit.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

53 and a half - a very representative OFFer!

DoctorQuest: Your kids have moved out - you lucky so and so! Our many* daughters are still nominally at home, although they are almost never all at home at any one time any more.

*They tell me that there are only 3 of them, but I have waited for them all to finish using the bathroom before now and only 'many' people could possibly take that long!

And I tend to think I am getting old! Compared to Hauksbee I should be bouncing like a rubber ball.

(Ouch - didn't work!)

I guess, we all over 50 here are made of ironwood - aren't we? :grandpa:

:flyer: :flyer: :flyer:

Hi Mr Prop,

well although I have a degree in linguistics I am good at spotting accents, but I found everyone in Ohio perfectly understandable - some of them spottted my ex-British (but now Seffrican) accent but it was never a problem. Yes, he works at Wilmington and it was a disaster for the local population when DHL pulled out. All the Eggs in one basket, I suppose. But it is a lovely area. As for the USAF museum we spent about 5 hours there but I could have wandered around for days and days. My wife who is 4'11" was very impressed by the B36 mainwheel and the B36 as a whole. Luckily she likes looking at aeroplanes otherwise we would have divorced long ago! She was immensely impressed by the B24 and wanted to take it home! All in all a fantastic museum.

An aside.... We were staying in a hotel on the Kentucky side of the river in Cincinnati. I went out to get something from the 'minivan' (Ha!) and was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. It was very hot! On the way back in I met a guy in a business suit towing a suitcase. He said "How are you doing" and I replied "Fine, how are you". This is what I mean about people in that part of the world being pleasant. Normally nothing would be said at all.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to visit the US again. The air tickets cost us a lot last year and last year the exchange rate was R6.5:1 US$ Now it is nearly 9 to the dollar.

One thing I do know is that Delta is a cr@p airlline! But unfortunately we had to use them as the only direct flight to Detroit from Europe is via Amsterdam using Delta. Their aeroplanes are old and falling to bits and their stewardesses are older than me! (well maybe not quite) I shouldn't complain about that but their food is also awful. And the movies don't work etc....

@Olham: Not me! Blubber is my chief component!

@JimAtrill: (commenting on yor reply to Herr Prop, since we cross posted...) Yes, indeed, people do greet one another more frequently. It's one thing I like about being a semi-rural American. It's been years since I've had much time at the Air Force museum, though we did get some time at the Smithsonian in DC a few years back - I'd like to go again now that they have a Shuttle.

I recently flew American Air Lines back form Montevideo, Uruguay - fortunately on business, and so I was able to go 1st class - and it was a very memorable trip, impeccable service, food and the aircraft (B767) was top notch, with power for my laptop, etc. I don't do Delta much.

Edited by HumanDrone

I live in Florida today, but I'm from Ohio. We all talk normally. Everybody else has an accent.

See you guys in Dayton, 2014.

I notice that at the moment we have 158 views and only 15 replies. Ok a lot of the views can be people who have already voted, but it is a bit strange.

I must also apologise for OT'ing my own T. Oh well, not to worry eh?

Well if you Ohions (?) want to talk about how you talk, how am I to stop you? You all sounded completely understandable to me..

Edited by JimAttrill

Seems the under 20 ones are just too shy to vote or write in a Senior Gentlemen's Club.

Oh, the youth of today...*

* started a complaint written by one of the big old Romans.

Edited by Olham

Well when I was 20 I was working on Vickers Varsites with Bristol Hercules engines - great fun, extremely oily and dirty, and then A-W Argosies, clean, reliable but not so much fun. So I suppose I am an old gentleman. Old, maybe, but don't know about the rest

65 and beginning to discover parts of my body don't work as good as they used to!! But as they say, as long as you're on this side of the grass and still able to do the things you like, life is good! Glad to hear Hauksbee beat me!!!

Best Wishes.

I'm also a member of the 50-60 club , and you know what..... i don't feel a day over..... umm 50ish :blink::grandpa:

cheers

I turned 90 last August and sometimes feel the oldest in the world.

I turned 90 last August and sometimes feel the oldest in the world.

I don't even know anyone that age flying sims :D