Dave

DCS: Combined Arms V1.2.3 Screeshots

Just hot of the presses. Some shots of the CA improvements.

1.jpg

2.jpg

My main issue with CA right now is figuring out how to aim accurately!

Not since Air Warrior and Warbirds have players been able to to truly integrate ground ops with flight ops at a level like this. I hope all continues to progress on the right paths as this could finally be the ultimate sim experience. Thanks for posting the screens Dave!

-Jeff

Big question: is CA worth getting at this point? It looks fun and something of a diversion from serious flying, but I've heard mixed things about it.

I also noticed that the lead and elevation in the first video was manual and not laser automated. Is this the case with the Abrams as well? I'm not expecting SB Pro, but does CA have or are they planning on implementing laser ranging and targeting for ground units?

I don't know what the plan is, but I can tell you right now everything is manual. Whether the final release will automate, or whether that will be introduced later, I don't know.

Worth getting? Depends what you want. It's not SB Pro, no, but I would say it's kind of like FC3 A-10A is to DCS A-10C, where CA is FC3 and SBP is DCS. I got it when it went beta, and I've not done too much because of the aforementioned aiming issues. However, I think once it's final and I get my controls worked out it will be a great addition.

As for AW and WB, you forgot WWII Online, Jeff! Or whatever it's called now, Battleground Ops, something like that? Been around 11+ yrs now, and although I've not played it in 10 (!!!) I recall with fondness hiding my PzIII near an airfield and blowing away taxiing Allied planes trying to takeoff before a Char finally found me and took me out. :grin: I also remember driving a truck towing a Flak 88 to Dinant to try and help counter Allied bombers.

The difference is other than the Battlefield games, no non-MMO game has offered this that I can recall, and of course BF has overly simple modeling (and tiny ops areas).

As for AW and WB, you forgot WWII Online, Jeff! Or whatever it's called now, Battleground Ops, something like that? Been around 11+ yrs now, and although I've not played it in 10 (!!!) I recall with fondness hiding my PzIII near an airfield and blowing away taxiing Allied planes trying to takeoff before a Char finally found me and took me out. :grin: I also remember driving a truck towing a Flak 88 to Dinant to try and help counter Allied bombers.

I didnt get into that one, so I totally missed it. But yes, trying to survive the drive over to an enemy airfield or choke point to pick off some low and slows was a task in itself.

-Jeff

They had lots of launch issues to the extent that they didn't charge for the first 3 months or so. Basically I paid the release price, used it those months, then quit when it went pay. IMO it wasn't good enough for that. Never went back, no idea what it's like now.