Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Here's the deal...

on the EuroWW2 map rebuild

it ain't working. No matter what I do, after retiling to Germany, the damn thing locks/freezes up; not, at least, it goes to 100% before freezing. So ... I'm givng up on that one

OTH, I've been closly looking at it "as is", with the single tile setup it has.

I believe it may be possible to 'extend' the landmasses that are missing (see below). Now, some of the places WILL be unusable due to proximity to THe Wall, and not accessable (now that the 'expanding borders trick no works, thanks a lot there pal!)

this will be a months long project, and the actual layout of the landmasses will be as close as I can make them...don't forget, I'll be filling water with land, and there WON'T be any hills/valleys/mountains/physical features except for flat land. This is expecially true for Scotland and Norway/Sweden. S/W France (Bay of Biscay) can be textured in, and 'basic' targeting implemented. anyting in the 'x' zone witll just be land, including those regions in The Med (which will not be accessable)

but, on the plus side, that parts that were empty ocean, now will actually be there. possibly even an RN CVzone in the North Sea

I's still large enought :ok:

Kevin, are you using stock Germany set? That would be great

that's the one (the rebuild) that dosen't work, yes.

the one shown uses the original "BN" series tiles, with one or two new road tiles

in the UK, I hope to have 'usable' area along the Edinburgh/Glasgow line.

on the other side (Baltic), having some identification issues with those islands east of denmark, above Keil (the top red dot) and the drawn in island where Copenhagen should be.

Gonna be calling for help from our members that reside in the area (well, and the UK and Europe in general!)

the maps I work from are pretty detailed, I can attach one if anyone wants to see what I work with. it's rather LARGE!

Edited by Wrench

Hi Kevin, interesting project.

I realise you are putting a lot of effort into this, as a Scotsman I am just sorry to hear all the hills/valleys of Scotland won't be implemented, although I completely understand why.

Sounds like you are planning on hand-tiling the missing landmass areas. Big job.

Would it be of any interest to you for me to create a new HFD in TE for the region you want, using the stock Germany CE tileset?

Of course, plotting of existing cities wouldn't be exact, and maybe you don't want to redo all that plotting and tiling work.

Just a suggestion, if it's no good, no worries.

I have all these partially completed wips sitting gathering dust if you want me to send them over. . .

http://combatace.com...baltika__st__80

The map at post #90 is closest to what you're working on, but I can shift it further south if you prefer. . .

Just seems a shame to put a ton of work into hand-tiling something if it could be automated.

Slainthe!

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

hmmm...you're right. the more I look at it, and the more I look at it in the TE, the less I want to do that.....

methinks I'm going to focus on fixing Denmark, maybe add a little of the norwegian/swedish coast, and just not do the northern uk. The map originally was just designed for the war in western europe; france, germany, etc.

I'll fiddle with it, and see what come of what. definatley wanted is normandy, brittany, the low countries, etc.

also kinda depends on a when you are looking at. would be very valuable for a WW2 era terrain. post war til the late 60's i dont think as much as the bulk of the fighting would be on the seas and in Germany. but getting into the 70's 80's, more attacks would come down on the allies given their usefulness as staging points back from the FEBA. look at the part in RSR where they say "NATO plans didnt account for the elimination of the Royal Norwegian AF in one week." (ok actually they did in RL, that was the tasking for the CF-5s, to head to Norway if needed but i digress). still would be nice to have a terrain that bases 48th and 20th TFWs out of England rather than forward deployed (not as likely esp in the F-101 era and F-111F). but then again i've really been wanting a post war Europe with bombed out cities. perfect for a Hot Vittles 48 campaign!

Wrench have you ever experimented with stitching several maps/ part of in graphics program? When exporting two different (edit:) tiles layouts from parts/maps with the exact same tileset is should work in theory

this could save the tiling by hand

Edited by Stary

stiching DEMs?

only once... the final hm was, well... "odd" to say the least.

what I think I'm ging to do, is tile in Scotland a bit higher (latitude wise), and jus not put any targets there. Same with Denmark; maybe one or 2 small airfields in the western part of the country.

to the south....I may skip the Bay of Biscay completly!!

DEMs can be automatically stitched in TE, I'm thinking more about sticking tilesets (=tiles layouts!) using "export tileset as bitman" in TE and then combining them in Gimp or whatever app