Hi just a short question, how does the ranging only "radar" works? I managed to lock a plane with boresight mode radar, an the sight was calculated nicely... but how to do that with an aircraft that has no full radar that can be locked manually on the target (or how to say). The plane inis are saying it has ranging only, and calculating sight and whatever, but in game it does nothing. (the crosshair is also in a bad place, but thats my task to fix anyway)

Okay on which aircraft are we talking about as I know some mount the Ranging Radar and it automatically locks on under .3nm or .5km and is normally only associated with gun only armed aircraft, your crosshairs then start to move and give you a prediction on were your gun shots will land.

look at the avionics ini for the recently released Sabres...your answer is there. think I have one for the Mig-19, too (not sure if it actually HAD one, but...)

Oh... yes I looked into other planes... but the problem is that it does not work with a gun pod, only with built in weapons... >#&@>@!!!!

It works perfectly with the MiG-21F13 and also with the PFM, but the PFM has been already modified not to have GP-9 gunpod separately... ( Also tried an F-4J with Mk4 gunpod, and it has no aiming, just fixed sight.

Edited by Snailman

I made a fake internal gun... no help. Finally I changed back to Avionics60... that did it, but I need TV and CCIP too... is this ranging stuff only included for Avionics60?

I think you have to edit the Gunsight section in the cockpit ini andchange the sight to a lead computing type ...

Look into the Sabre pit ini..

Avionics.ini

[AvionicsData]

Name=Tracker

GunsightRangingOnly=TRUE

RangeUnit=NM

TrackRange=1.1

ScanBeamAngle=10.0

cockpit.ini

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=40

GunsightName=crosshair.tga

LeadComputing=TRUE

MinLeadRange=100

MaxLeadRange=1000

DefaultLeadRange=300

MaxDepression=200

DefaultDepression=50

RocketDepression=35

GunDepression=10

It seems it only works with Avionics60.dll, and only for a short time. After the first target is shot down, it does not track anymore. And I lose all the HUD and TV from Avionics70.dll... Am I missing something else? Is it because I use gun pod only? I faked a gun, did not help. I put in a real built-in gun, did not help...

Snailman, you might want to try changing [AvionicsData] to [RadarData] and see what happens. I have noticed that some aircraft are set up that way in their Avionics.ini files. For example the Tornado F3 from NF5. See how the first part of the Tornado_F3_AVIONICS.ini file appears below. I do not know if it will have any effect but it might not hurt to try.

[TextureData]
RadarTexture=cockpit\Radar\F3_radar.bmp
RWRTexture=cockpit\rwr.bmp
RadarTextureSize=256

[RadarData]
AvailableModes=SEARCH,TWS,STT,ACM
RangeUnit=NM
RangeSetting[1]=10
RangeSetting[2]=20
RangeSetting[3]=40
RangeSetting[4]=80
RangeSetting[5]=160
RadarPosition=
MaxElevationAngle=60
MinElevationAngle=-60
MaxAzimuthAngle=120
MinAltitude=40.0
BoresightElevation=-2.0
BoresightAzimuth=0.0
MinReturn=0.01
MinimumSpeed=25.41
SearchRange=160
SearchStrength=200
TrackRange=160
TrackStrength=150
TWSUpdateTime=0.5
AcquisitionSymbolSpeed=1.0
AcquisitionresetPosX=0.5
AcquisitionresetPosY=0.20
AcquisitionresetTime=5.0
DisplayLimitLeft=29
DisplayLimitRight=226
DisplayLimitTop=29
DisplayLimitBottom=226

that only works for aircraft that actually HAVE Search, Track, Boresight, etc functions.

apparently, the Yak has the range-only type, like the Sabre or one/several of the recently released J-7 series. Range-only's don't have a display; in the Sabre's case it was a light next to the gunsight. I'd be reasonably certain the WarPac stuff would be similiar.

this is my avionics ini for the MiG-19S; i've also given it a audio-only rwr. uses avionics 60.dll

[AvionicsData]

Name=SRD-5M

GunsightRangingOnly=TRUE

RangeUnit=Meters

TrackRange=1000.0

ScanBeamAngle=10.0

MinAltitude=1828.8

//Audio only RWR

[RWR]

Type=AUDIO_ONLY

TrackSound=RWRTrackSound.wav

LockSound=RWRLockSound.wav

ThreatLaunchSAMOnly=TRUE

ThreatLaunchFlash=TRUE

LockFlash=TRUE

LockFlashRate=0.1

[RWRTrackSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

[RWRLockSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

if you fly in Normal mode, you'll get the yellow diamond onthe target aircraft when it' in range/locked

edit:

ranging works perfeclty welll with the avionics 70 ... check out the J-7IIA; everything works as advertised

Edited by Wrench

I looked at the J-7IIA from J-7 pack, but it does not tracks gunsight... no "yellow diamond" for lock whatever I tried. I thought maybe it does without the sign displayed, but no. Only regular gyro movement.

The only way I could make it work, to set to Avionics60.dll... I try it more. maybe I add a full radar or somehow fake it. Its not a problem if this "feature" has to be switched on. Or just give up using Av70.dll...

Actually the Yak38 is a fighter bomber, and is called that, a "palubniy shturmovik" on-deck attacker. It had the Mig-21 sights ASP-PFD-21, which is connected to ranging radar and computing units, it displays lock with a ready light. If it is turned off, it can be used with gyro or basic crosshair sight. Later variant used crosshair with range circle and also "lauch authorized" style sound and "in range" ready light (for AAMs too). Similar to the Su-25 has in Lock On. There were plans for HUD and advanced display but cancelled, as I was told.

This is the j-7IIA

data.ini

[DetectSystem]

RadarType=RANGING

Name=RP-21

RadarType=AIR_INTERCEPT <---- why to set RadarType twice?

RadarFamilyName=SpinScan <---- what is this???

RangeUnit=KM

VisualBlindArc=5,6,7

VisualRestrictedArc=4L,8L,12L

MaxVisibleDistance=6000.0

HasRWR=TRUE

RWRMinFreq=9.0

RWRMaxFreq=10.4

RWRCanDetectCW=TRUE

avionics.ini

[AvionicsData]

Name=SRD-5M

GunsightRangingOnly=TRUE

RangeUnit=Meters

TrackRange=1000.0

ScanBeamAngle=10.0

MinAltitude=1828.8 <---- Minimum altitude for what? I used it above 3000 still does not lock on

if you use avionic 60, you loose the HUD

tested it last night.

standard game glitch, me thinks

ummm.... errr... now I really dont understand a thing :crazy:

Exactly what functions of the HUD you lost? Here is a screenshot I made, using Avionics60 on a "ranging only" Yak38 with Gepard's HUD from his original mod. Nothing has been changed with the avionics ini, hud and cockpit ini, only the Av70 was downgraded to Av60. And voila it works. Also I destoyed tanks with Kh-25 TV missiles and bombed FAB-250 with his CCIP bomb marker ... the only thing does not work is that the gunpod is shooting below the crosshair, but that doesnt matter in this case.

Well this way my problem has been solved, but I really don't understand what's happening.

img00013.JPG

Snailman, give this a shot:

backup any inis you've modded first!! Expeically the main ini (Yak-38.ini)

this uses the J-7II cockpit, with some 'tweeked' statements for the avaionics. Seems like everything is working...at least on my end

Personally, I think the pit looks pretty good in the Yak! (dn't know if it has TEWS, but that should be a fairly easy tweek back to 3-ring RWR)

PROBLEM SOLVED! Here's the solution. I tested it 8 times, with Gepard's mod, with mine, with your J-7 avionics and with the Chengdu J-7IIA I downloaded.... just to assure I'm not a noob :grin:

Since what you sent me did work, I compared the difference with the J-7IIA that didn't work... this is the result

Avionics60.dll uses the entry [AvionicsData]

Avionics70.dll uses the entry [RadarData] for radar features....

It was the problem in Gepards mod and in the J-7 I downloaded too. After I fixed that line both worked, and on the Yak38 too.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

exactly what I discovered ... well, with Fubar's help!!. The radar statment is different for avi60 and avi70

• Like 1

Huh, I'm almost ready... I have a few quick questions

1. Is there a way to reverse the range circle movement ? RangeBarOrientation says 6TO12 is there any other value to this statement?

2. How to make SRM marker to use HUD colors? It takes the original image features... do I have to manually recolor? Or maybe there's a way to use the other LCOS crosshair for this?

3. I need to erase the empty radar/TV rectangle from the upper right corner, how to do that?

thanks a lot!!! Final steps... I just copy some features to the other plane, and I'm ready. I curious about feedback))

you playing on EASY or Normal??

on Normal, the radar box in the upper right didn't exist for me (as the aircraft, for all intents and purposes, ain't got no radar)

on EASY, it always shows.

as to recoloring, iirc, you'll have to repaint the R/G/B layer of the tga to match. Sorry! Make sure said tga is in the /cockpit folder someplace. That should work!

as to the range gate thingy, try different clock positions. It may be something hardcoded, but that's the only way to find out. (3to9 or whatever..has to cover 180 degres, iirc)