There has been another update to Strike Fighters Android released in the last day or so.

Now, this is all speculation, however, considering that in order to save money, TK tends to recycle assets, a couple of interesting things have shown up in SFA that lead me to believe you will see them on the PC.

First, one of the things I mentioned was the F-16A in USAF colors showing up in SFA. Makes perfect sense...take the SF2I Netz and reskin it.

However, the newest update reveals an additional F-16A variant...the F-16A MSIP. It appears to have the correct Block 15 tailplanes and an additional pitot tube on the vertical stab. So, obviously it is a new model.

Making a new model (or at least modifying an existing one) seems like a lot of work just to limit to a 'Freemium' mobile game. My speculation is the either as a DLC, or as part of Exp3, you will see 2 variants of the USAF version of the F-16A, the earlier basic Block 1/5/10, and the later Block 15. Changes (besides the external differences noted) would probably include the chin hardpoints, and overall greater weapons capacity. I'm not sure if the ADF variant would be modeled.

For us, here, it doesn't mean much since we already have the excellent Vipers available for download. But it gives a clue as to what is being worked on for the next PC release.

I am curious as to certain omissions in the SFA lineup...no Israel birds for instance, no A-4 or Harrier for that matter either. Considering these are flyables in the SF2 series, it's odd that they aren't in SFA.

FC

hmmm interesting you noticed those, but I haven't played SFA in a while.

As for F-16A in USAF lingerie livery I think we here at CA wondered about lack of one since DLC launched 2 years ago, if TK planned one he'd made it as one of the first DLCs

quite suprising they made new models of some variants as you say, I thought that was idea Thirdwire put on hold (tweaked models for DLC variants)

...or maybe TK decided to go deeper into the mobile version and considers it worth making new models for some extra variants (OR just to show the core PC crowd finger?)

BUT without even rudimentary cockpit view and any A2G, limited time missions, it's still missing few things Air Navy Fighters/F-18 Carrier Landing titles have

still, not a single word about Exp3 :sad:

Another thing i have been expecting with EXP3 is the return of the Starfighter.

I know it is daydreaming, but to some extent, there are data entries for them, and in SFA there are several variants proposed, research such as the project Grindstone...i don´t know how much would it take to get the cockpits, or if the FM needs much revamping, but since it´s been missed dearly since the jump to the second generation, it would be a hit.

I think there is a legal problem with the Starfighter in the US

but it's back in the series after being out for a while so I see no point as to why not make it oficially flyable plane, even with stock Gen1 cockpit :dntknw:

I think there is a legal problem with the Starfighter in the US

Apparently, it was ruled out. Lockheed (whose legal personnel should have more important things to do) wanted to exercise copyrights for the plane, but it was ruled out since any work for the US government is owned by the government, and as such, its image is of the public domain (not its engineering)

Edited by macelena

Ok, I think I watched "Lockheed and the flightsim" season 1 but missed "Lockheed and the flightsim" season 2

• Like 2

Ok, I think I watched "Lockheed and the flightsim" season 1 but missed "Lockheed and the flightsim" season 2

Now that's funny.

• Like 1

Well i hope that TK will do the EXP 3 for SF2 Europe.

A long time nothing heard from him... :-(

We dont even need an F-16A.As for the starfighter,a new SF2 quality cockpit must be made.

Now that's funny.

How can you imagine I am funny less than 24 hours before the end of the world and more than 24 hours/days/weeks/months/years before the release of exp3 ?

Honnestly, I think that this Mirage F1 will come first :

http://combatace.com...irage-f-1c-200/

Thank's to Ludo and team :)

Edited by jeanba

TK can call it the F-104. He can call it the Starfighter too IIRC. He can call it the F-104 Starfighter. He can NOT call it the Lockheed F-104, Lockheed Starfighter, or Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. Simply put, they consider that "trading on their name for profit."

Ubi-clueless-soft made that mistake with Pacific Fighters years back, using the manufacturer's names on the box. They pulled the also stupid idea of eliminating NG's planes as well.

ima hold my breath, since the world will end soon anyway...

What time? I've got this lovely chorizo in the deep freeze that I was thinking about frying up soon, plus a bottle of La Fin du Monde in the cabinet (which would be perfect for the occasion, now that I think about it...)

I love the ExP 3 rumor-mill we start up every now and again. F-1C + F-16A + F-104 = SF2:NATO Fighters expansion for SF2:Europe? Just my guess. TK said 'only one all new plane', and the F-1C is the only all-new out of those 3. It would make since, and adding the F-16A would probably be a big sales boost compared to just an F-1C (us Americans luvs our F-16 fighter jets, so larger market from those other than us Thirdwire freaks). Don't get me wrong, I'll be WAY more excited to see a TW F-1 than a re-skinned F-16.

TK said 'only one all new plane'

Same with SF2NA. In fact, i was waiting for all the show we can make before a release. If we just had some WIP screenies...

No new features, just the Mirage F1C , the reskinned F-16, flyable F-104 and MirageIIIE, together with campaign integration and such. Maybe even Mirage5F. And some red air to fill in later years, maybe Su-17s and MiG-25s.

I don´t think we are getting all the other aircraft forecasted by ini like Bucc, Jag, Swift, Mosquito, Venom (would be half the postwar RAF) Ouragan nor anyother flyables, but hell, you gotta love the whole thing.

Edited by macelena

Same with SF2NA. In fact, i was waiting for all the show we can make before a release. If we just had some WIP screenies...

No new features, just the Mirage F1C , the reskinned F-16, flyable F-104 and MirageIIIE, together with campaign integration and such. Maybe even Mirage5F. And some red air to fill in later years, maybe Su-17s and MiG-25s.

That would be a heck of an Expansion pack, but totally reasonable from TK's end.

I don´t think we are getting all the other aircraft forecasted by ini like Bucc, Jag, Swift, Mosquito, Venom (would be half the postwar RAF) Ouragan nor anyother flyables, but hell, you gotta love the whole thing.

Technically the F1C is All New.

F-104 and F-16 have meshes for them already.

So the only difference now between an expansion and a full title is the full one comes with terrain. Both have just 1 new flyable, campaigns, and new AI planes and ground units.

Well, to be fair, SF2NA had a new terrain engine, several new AI aircraft and ground (ship) units, and a new Avionics dll. The other expansion packs were just planes (okay, a mission editor for Exp2). I think that was it...

FC

• Like 1

so, would be wise not to wake up every morning thinking "Today must be the day TK releases pretty shiny new Expansion 3 with 10 new flyables, 3 new high resolution terrains and 30 new ground objects pack"? Bummer

so, would be wise not to wake up every morning thinking "Today must be the day TK releases pretty shiny new Expansion 3 with 10 new flyables, 3 new high resolution terrains and 30 new ground objects pack"? Bummer

If TK would just revisit the Iceland terrain in an expansion , give us coast lines, forests, cities and more/ denser target areas.... and a few other things I would be happy. I feel bad sometimes for being such a critic, because TK has done a lot of good things with SF2.

• Like 2

same here Icarus, sometimes I feel I go in criticizing Tk too far, (sorry TK!)

as for terrains, old format is still ok for me, but I really miss few quite simple additions to it that would make SF2 look modern (like those evil 3D TODs!!! and higher mesh resolution)

I'd imagine TK was probably disappointed in the new terrain too. In terms of time invested verses public perception/reaction, he probably wished he hadn't spent that much time (and by extension, money) on it.

I'd have been happier with just the new water effects. The time spent on the Iceland terrain could have been spent otherwise squashing all the bugs that were in the initial release of SF2NA.

Also, I think constructive criticism is always good...sarcastic or hostile criticism is typically more counter productive. I think the biggest thing with any critique is just to remember what the goal of what you are commenting on is. TK from what I've read has always said the TW series is a game...or sim-lite, a budget title, and so has always made that his bottom line, even though there are a lot of realistic aspects of the TW series.

If that's good enough, then that's okay. If not, and you want to move on, that's good too. There is still a variety of stuff out there, and things like DCS look promising.

FC

yes but DCS somehow doesn't do it for me at the moment, still haven't bought FC3 beta (ok to be fair it's still on "to buy" list but I had to divert my cash into fried motherboard)

as for iceland, yes I think he's now not so satisfied with it... I'd LOVE to have new water in old maps DLC of some sort (technical difficulties aside)

I personally hope that exp 3 will update the terrain engine with new features, maybe what we see in NA is only the first release candidate, with more and more stuff layed on later. IMO a full 3d enviroment is a must, since that means much higher fidelity topography. The trees and whatnot can and should be sprites and the buildings can be lowpoly like now, but the heightmap in itself must be higher res than currently.

Maybe a 3d desert map would be a good next step for TK for exp 3? A desert map can be fairly convincing without being super detailed and cluttered...