Sign in to follow this  
Stary

gotta love the stupid questions threads

From ATS' science and technology forum:

http://www.abovetops...hread910722/pg1

If the Sun lights up the Moon; as has been taught...How come we only see one side of it? We have satellites in orbit right? We have many space telescopes...I know this is a subject that has been breached many times as evidenced by the threads...No one has every satisfactorily explained it to me in a way for me to grasp it.

I implore someone to tell me if the Sun lights up the Moon how come we don't get pictures of the "Dark Side" ever? It seems to me that at some point that side of the Moon would be lit up from some view in space. I just can't wrap my feeble mind around it.

I mean for instance today, I look outside and I see the Moon lit up (half), the Sun is on the opposite side of the Moon and the direction should show the Moon lit up in a different position than it does if the Sun was the source of its light.

dp50d49d5e.png

Sun is in the west and the Moon is to East right? How come the light is coming from the Northern Side? Shouldn't it be coming from the direction of the Sun? The Western half? At least that is what my common sense tells me...I am sure there is a logical explanation from someone...I have heard most of the explanations about how the Sun causes the Moon to shine...I just haven't heard the one that convinces me this is the absolute truth.

hk50d49e14.png

Please tell me how come it is possible for us to get pictures of Galaxies by the billions but we cannot even get clear resolution pictures of all parts of the Moon? Doesn't this strike in least as being extremely odd? I know it does me. I find it incomprehensible, unless they just don't want us to know the truth...that seems more logical to me than telling us what they tell us and teaching us what they have taught.

BAW33

"satellites in orbit" and "many space telescopes" made my day :rofl: "I have heard most of the explanations about how the Sun causes the Moon to shine...I just haven't heard the one that convinces me this is the absolute truth" made my smile go away

Edited by Stary

facepalm.jpg

If it is a young kid, I can understand because they have to think in 3D and realize the Earth's rotation and the moon's orbit are not related.

But a clear thinking adult?....

I think the only way you could really explain this to a person having trouble grasping the concept would be to have a model of the Earth-Moon system, with a 'Sun' to provide a single light source.

FC

May we should tell him to put one of his hands face of a light source and take a picture of his hand's back...

post-43205-0-67111400-1356197636.jpeg

how to explain line of sight to an idiot...................................

by the writting I don't think it's a kid FC...

as for the Earth-Moon-Sun correlation, I think every had seen a rotating model of one in the primary school

Or he/her is misunderstood. it should be possible to obtain images of the "back" side of the moon since all you got to do is placing a satelite in orbit around the Moon. Waiting for the next Solar eclipse then there should be plenty of light to capture all the images you'll need

Actually, I suspect that this "person" has yet to grasp the light-scattering effects of an atmosphere, and why the "back side" of objects facing away from a source of light (in our atmospere) are still visible. Now, if they have an issue understanding that concept, simple celestial mechanics (orbits and the rotation-rates) would be well beyond their comprehension.

Now, if they have an issue understanding that concept, simple celestial mechanics (orbits and the rotation-rates) would be well beyond their comprehension.

or three dimensional space for starters

Which makes me angry at all the SF TV series and movies that seem to forget third dimension out there (too many examples could be listed here)

Edited by Stary

The funny part is there IS no "dark side". A day on the moon lasts a month, 2 weeks of sun and 2 weeks of dark for any given location (aside from possibly the bottom of some craters at the poles). There is a far side of the Moon, and we DO have pictures of it.

Here's one from Clementine:

img5_lg.gif

When it takes me 5 seconds to Google a pic of it, how can these people find some of this stuff and ask these questions and then fail to find THIS??

Jedi, in that thread first reply was "google" :smile: