76.IAP-Blackbird

Getting Bluescreens 2 times a day min.

Im encountering a new problem, my PC decided to make my life more interesting with bluescreens. They appear frequently during watching Youtube. Yesterday it prevent me from playing SF2, during the start up of the game itself I recieved a BS (Bluescreen not Bullsh!t)

But happens more often while watching vids. Now the questions is, does it has something in common with the "videodriver" or is my harddisk going back to ashes?!

I will back up my system soon, definatly, so is stoped modding so far, because of those BS events in the last weeks. (Now you can choose)

running still XP (pls no comments about that fact :baby: will update early 2013 to 7.

And the BS is so "fast" that you have no chance to look at it, I dont think a screenshot will work there :big_boss: Is there a log somewhere to look at it? And sorry to post it here, but thats the most freqeunted place here on CA

thanks in advance

I have been down this road and tried everything but ended up having to re-install windows. Microsoft help forums are a good place to start but if I were you I would do a windows restore ASP to a date at least a week before your first Blue Screen of Death.

In my experience BSOD (Blue screen of Death) occurs due to hardware problem or hardware/software issue (ie driver issue) or overheating. Of course other causes are possible too..

Also while updating the software open the box and give it a good clean out if it's a PC as the amount of dust that gets inside them is amazing... and while your doing it check the connections or even better pull out the cards and plug them back in, but only if you are comfortable doing it otherwise just give them a gentle push in.

And the BS is so "fast" that you have no chance to look at it, I dont think a screenshot will work there :big_boss: Is there a log somewhere to look at it? And sorry to post it here, but thats the most freqeunted place here on CA

thanks in advance

U can try nice freeware app called "BlueScreenView" from nirsoft. G'luck!

will update early 2013 to 7...

Sensible idea! I'm running 8 on a new laptop and I'm staggered by how hard it is to work with.

Anyway, hope you get to the bottom of this.

BSODs are normally hardware related - often a bad DIMM - so worth doing a memory check - but will need to be with a proper diagnostic (MS have one) - takes ages but should find actual errors. Or pull out a few sticks (if you have more than 1) and see if the problem keeps happening. Also take out your graphics card and put it back in.

Obviously read up a bit on how to do this if you are not sure - and unplug the PC from the mains, and de-static yourself before doing anything.

Im cleaning my Pc 1 time per month from inside, maybe you are right, I will deassemble the whole thing and rebuild it. Maybe is justa connection not so stable as before. Thanks for the advice.

Assuming BSOD were not prevalent prior to this recent issue, I would hazard that the more likely culprit to be bad drivers, corrupt Windows bit somewhere on your hard-drive or a thermal issue due to dust-bunnies or a failing fan.

As previously mentioned, a thorough cleaning (make sure to check your fan blades as build-up on them slows then down, thus diminishing their ability to disparate heat) heat sinks and air holes / vents ... Then scan / fix your HD to make sure no bad bits... I would not be surprised in finding them considering the number of times you've crashed. Lastly refresh all your drivers, in particular sound and video drivers. These two are the most notorious ones for invoking BSOD.

Good luck and good hunting!

Here is how you stop the Automatic reboot that happens when you have a BSOD via a windows tick-box setting -

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

It will stay on the BSOD screen and allow you get some important info which you can use in this guide below to find out what part of the PC has caused the BSOD (the "ERROR NAME" section) -

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide

Here's the section that really important - boxed in red - This section is what tells you where the problem occurred in the software/hardware.

BSOD.jpg

Hope this helps! When/If you get get it again make a note of the bits in the red box and post in on here or in a google search and you should get some answers fairly quickly.

Easiest thing to check first is for malware. Scan with Malwarebytes Free and TDSS Killer. Next thing is to post the Blue Screen Info. Disable Automatic reboot after BSOD and post Windows Event Logs (System Critical Events). After that, it is hard ware inspection time. Look at the motherboard for blown capacitors. Then it is time to test the RAM. Memtest is what I use from a bootable USB. It is a part of this Utility package.