Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Best movie of 2012?

For me it's "Moonrise Kingdom", That little movie you haven't heard of...

Ok, it has Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand in it, Edward Norton...

yet to see...

Edited by Stary

Never delivered, BUT, I never had that premise...

ok, being half my life into Giger... that played well

Prometheus is kinda mixed bag. I wouldnt call it best movie of 2012 of course but it wasnt worst movie too. I think script was a little bit complicated or too 'unsaid'. And that was main reason why so many negative statements IMO.

To be honest only saw a few movies at the cinema this year and must admit the ones I did see were all pretty good best I saw for 2012 was Skyfall though probably because it delivered what I was expecting in spades in my opinion...

have seen tons this year

Out of - Dark Knight Rises / Skyfall / The Sweeney / The Grey

Probably Prometheus with the same addition fallenphoenix1986 mentioned.

As for others I must say I was never a big fan of JB, all kinds of Vampires especially teenage ones, Batman and other superheroes grew old on me too...maybe I'm just getting old and cranky?

Don't know what to say, I'm a big fan of SF/action/war spectacles, my motto for a good movie(to be seen in cinema) is damaged retina so...not much of that this year if I'm not mistaken, didn't watch the Expendables though...

I found the last Dredd pretty good, simple and effective.

No, I don't go for angsty teenage films. You know it's the film, too, because she did a great job in X Men First Class but in THG she seemed to spend most of her time staring at stuff with no expression on her face. What was she thinking? Who knows, it wasn't on her face and she had no dialogue in those parts! Just long bouts of silence inherited I presume from the Twilight series that made NOT talking or emoting into apparently the latest trend.

TDKR had its good moments, but I will agree that I don't think it was good as TDK and I think I might even place BB ahead of it, hard to say. Still only seen TDKR twice, seen the others a few times each now.

Prometheus I liked fine. Don't think it was best of the year, but it was still good enough I bought it.

Liked the Avengers. Best Marvel film since Iron Man 1 (haven't seen the new Spiderman yet, but I hear it's nothing better than the last one) and I have high hopes for IM3 after 2 let me down a bit.

Skyfall was quite good, even if sometimes I felt like I wasn't watching a Bond film but rather another film that had Bond in a cameo that lasted all film...if that makes sense. I liked it more than Quantum of Solace, but QoS did feel like a Bond film...a lesser one, that's all.

Then there's The Hobbit #1, which I thought very good but incomplete without the rest.

There's still a bunch of films I've not seen from this year that got some good reviews: Ted, Looper, Dredd, Spiderman, Bourne Legacy, Snow White, Total Recall, Taken 2, Ice Age 4...

Then there are those I saw that are not in contention like John Carter, MIB3, Battleship, Madagascar 3, The Lorax, Brave, etc that were bad or good but not "best."

I guess in the end it's a 3 way tie between Hobbit, Skyfall, and Avengers. All are very good in different ways.

I actually liked Total Recall

Saw it - but I had the original years back so not a contender for me

Ted and Looper ok - but dont recommend Taken 2 personally.

Prometheus is kinda mixed bag. I wouldnt call it best movie of 2012 of course but it wasnt worst movie too. I think script was a little bit complicated or too 'unsaid'. And that was main reason why so many negative statements IMO.

Prometheus... I am the guy who's really deep into the "Alien" thing, yet I went to see this without the expectations it would reveal things I was asking last 20 years of my life. Like who did it, why?

I might be in minority but I like it how Scott turned the table, threw his cards and pissed on us, audience, with the Engineer(s) story. That was much better than yer typical DC Comics "elephant" type Jockey thing (I HATED those!)

Ohh, and Rapace and Fassbender are well chosen, so is Theron

Agreed, my personal theory always was that the Xeno's were some sort of Bio weapon. Wasnt nearly as spine tinglingly frightning as it was hyped to be but it filled in the blanks well enough. Looking forward to the next one.

Craig

• Like 1

The best movie of 2012 was The Princess Bride. Best drama for 2012, tho a year long, involved ( tho, he wanted it to revolve) this douche -

annnnnnd there goes No-unnecessary-politics streak

Edited by RogerSmith

Skyfall gets my :good:

SkyFall was OK, but i wished there was a more spectacular and gory death for Bardem. Besides, i got tired of the trend of films with enemy uber elaborated up to senseless plans to wreak havoc, good guys with some trauma to get them to be dumbly evil, and the hero dealing with his personnal cheesy issues and unpractical fighting in the climax...do you hear me, Nolan?