Fokker D.II

The Fokker D.II was intended to be a replacement for the Eindeckers. It carried a single machine gun and used wing warping instead of ailerons. Production of the plane was slow and by the time large number were available, it had been outclassed by the Nieuport 11s. However it was used on the Eastern Front until late 1917.

I have made three skins for the D.II - a green paint, a two color camo, and a three color camo. I have also incuded a complete set of (ficitious) serial numbers for German planes. I have included my skinning templates for those who wish to make different skins.

Credits

My thanks to Ojcar for making the data file for the Fokker D.II.

Also, my thanks to Nix who provided the sound file for the Oberursel 100hp engine.

Installation Instructions

For FE1 - Unzip the file and move the folders named "FokkerD2" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. You also need to move the sound file "OberurselUI.wav" into the FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

For FE2 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "FokkerD2" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "FokkerD2". Move the folder named "D" from the Aircraft/FokkerD2 folder into the Decals/FokkerD2 folder you just made. You also need to move the sound file "OberurselUI.wav" into the FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

• Like 1

I have been waiting since Day one for this. I enjoyed the earlier one by Bort but this one is a quantum leap in quality. thank you for another excellent and obscure aircraft.

Bravo Stephen1918! She's a beauty.

Excellent! I like it very much, I hope you'll make also D.III model :)

Wow - another much-needed addition/update to the FE plane set - not many left now! Thanks!!! :bowdown2:

Great plane, thank you.

A question, the compass in my plane does not move like the rest of you planes. Is this as designed or do I have a problem with my particular plane ???

One modification I would suggest to this excellent aircraft - also to the equally good and equally welcome Albatros DIIs released just before - is to increase the pilot's arc of lateral head movement, to giver better coverage to to the rear. At the moment, the arc from about 4.30 to 7.30 is locked out; worse on the Albs, where the blocked arc is from about 3.30 to 8.30. I increased both arcs so I could look over my shoulder either right or left, to the extent I could just see my rudder. This means the padlock also works much better; it is quite disorientating if your virtual head hits this lock, while it's still tracking a plane that is out of your field of view.

The A Team Pfalz DIII is another plane that benefits from this, tho in that case you get a bit of an odd view of your rear cockpit coaming, when the section behind you comes into view.

This I did by editing the relevant cockpit.ini file in Wordpad, replacing the existing lines with:

MaxYaw=185

MinYaw=-185

Edited by 33LIMA

Sorry about the broken compass, I made some changes to the cockpit at the last minute and didn't update the ini file. I have uploaded a corrected version. For those of you who have already downloaded the plane. here is a new ini file with the corrections. Use this to replace the original cockpit.ini.

I also increased the head movement, but not as much as 33Lima suggested. From 185 to -185 means you're turning more than 360, which I don't think was possible with a shoulder harness. I only went from 170 to -170. Of course, you can modify the settings to fit your own preferences.

FokkerD2CockpitINI.zip

Yes it's a matter of preferences. Boelcke I think died in the crash because he wasn't wearing his harness, perhaps for a better view! If I look hard over my shoulder in my seat, even without moving my body much, periperal vision gives me at least some view directly behind. Going to 185 degrees certainly doesn't sound realistic, unless you're Linda Blair, but in terms of the field of view it gives, as opposed to taking it as a measure of actual head movement, it was needed to bring the tailfin/rudder into the edge of the field of view, which seems about right to me.

Anyway, I think Stephen's excellent recent additions leaves the planes now most needed by FE, in terms of common service types we don't have, as a 1916-17 configuration BE2, and a 1917-18 German general purpose 2-seater.

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1

Stephen... are you going to make the Fokker D.III too?

It seems that the only noticeable difference was the engine:

Fokker_D2-p.jpg

Kesta_4_Fokkers.jpg

Edited by Hansa

Stephen... are you going to make the Fokker D.III too?

It seems that the only noticeable difference was the engine:

I think the D.III had ailerons, while the D.II used wing warping. That would mean changing the mesh and re-skinning the wings, so it will take a while. In the meantime, if ojcar wants to make an FM to convert the D.II that would be fine with me.

i think there were 2 versions of the D.III the early model still used the wing warping and later the ailerons were added. I think ;)

Edited by whiteknight06604

Whiteknight, you are right. There were two versions. Having the DII FM, the DIII FM is a piece of cake (I think). Another difference: DII had one machine gun and DIII had twin machine guns (except the few DIII license-built in Austria by MAG and called Fokker DI (MAG). These had one machine gun only, but I think they were used as trainers).

I think a DIII and an Albatros DI are a must-have now....

• Like 1