USN Korean War CVs

This is a mod of the A-Team Essex class carriers.

It represents ALL the fleet carriers used by the USN in Korea.

Straight decks and jets. Nuff said. Corsairs are extremely difficult to land on these things.

practice makes perfect!

You need the LODs from the A-team Essex ships to make this work.

For the non SBC-27s you need the following LODs ( Available at A-Team under Ships/CV-9 Essex)

////////// EssexA-R4.LOD

For the SBC-27s you need the followinf LODs (Available at A-Team under Ships/CV-14 Ticonderoga Class)

///////////EssexB-MR2.LOD

///////////EssexB-MR4.LOD

///////////EssexB-MR6.LOD

///////////EssexB-MR8.LOD

///////////EssexB-R3b.LOD

The non SBC-27s represent the newer Essexes equipped with hydraulic catapults and jet specific equipment.

The SBC-27s represent the ships with the new Island no 5in turrets and more powerful hydralic catapults.

This mod is not perfect but it will give you the feeling of what it must of been like for our Naval Aviators in Korea.

All I did was repaint and respot the parked aircraft. All other credit goes to A-Team.

A great idea.

I was workin on put all the pieces inside ... so I D/L the WW2 needed ships from A-TEAM site

the first thing I noted is that your lod files are old: the current ones are EssexA-R5 & EssexB-R4

So I went on editing all the inis and data.ini properly and I saw no WarshipClass=AIRCRAFT_CARRIER line added.

But before entering in more editing I have a question for You: why You split in 1 class ship x 11 instal what seems a 2 types (with proper names.ini) only? Have each ship different data or textures?

Thank You.

sounds like differences between the short and long hulled boats (long hulled are sometimes called 'Ticonderoga Class CV') starts at hull number 14, iirc. Or, when they recieved the 27 upgrade (some did, some didn't, again ..irrc)

edit: Paulo is correct. missing the NA statements in the top header section

[MissionData]

NationName=USN

ServiceStartYear=1944

ServiceEndYear=1955

GroundObjectRole=WARSHIP

WarshipClass=AIRCRAFT_CARRIER

Availability=COMMON

FormationSizeBase=1

FormationSizeVariation=0

Exported=FALSE

CarrierBaseSize=SMALL

CarrierNumSquadrons=5

Edited by Wrench

To answer questions. This may infact be one class of vessel but they are infact very different. All the boats with the five inch guns on the deck in reality are the last of the wartime production "long Hull" Essex boats. The model for those does not provide the only feature that distinguishes the long from the short, That feature is just an added few feet to provide a provision for a twin 40mm tub on the bow. What A-team says is a "long hull or Tico" is actually an SBC-27 ship. The reason I made every carrier is that to get the proper carrier you want to show up in "Single Mission" you will have no decals show up unless you make each boat.

To answer questions. This may infact be one class of vessel but they are infact very different. All the boats with the five inch guns on the deck in reality are the last of the wartime production "long Hull" Essex boats. The model for those does not provide the only feature that distinguishes the long from the short, That feature is just an added few feet to provide a provision for a twin 40mm tub on the bow. What A-team says is a "long hull or Tico" is actually an SBC-27 ship. The reason I made every carrier is that to get the proper carrier you want to show up in "Single Mission" you will have no decals show up unless you make each boat.

But if the vessel is flagged as carrier and the decal meets the names.ini number they should show .... take a look to one of WhiteboySamurai amazing shipwork .... his decals show up for all the ships of each class ....

You are right if you put all the SBC-27's or all the K War Essexes into two seperate classes they do work fine and show up. But in "Single Mission" mode you cannot choose what carrier shows up in that class. For example: Using the class method, if I wanted to fly a specific mission from CV-32 USS Leyte the game would determine which carrier shows up not the player. Sure it will be of the same class but the game might put in CV-21 USS Boxer instead. Building each carrier allows the player to choose a specific carrier for their missions. I have every carrier indfividually represented in my installs with the exception of the USS Langley and the FDR ( I stand-in SBC-125 for FDR in my Nam install!) I did it like this for a specific reason. As for the LOD issues. I installed the "updated" LOD's. For the older ships it creates a wierd white spot near the funnel and for the SBC-27's ( Which A-Team erroneaously refers to a "Tico class long Hull") the bow number is messed up. So until some one builds a proper post WW2 Long hull Essex with enclosed bridge, twin hydraulic cats and jet blast deflectors, then we will have to take what we gets around here. I am updating them with the "AIRCRAFT_CARRIER" notation. But like I said this ain't perfect, but it is way better than flying off of SBC-125's.

I made the 2 classes and work fine in sigle missions random CV choice.

Using editor you have only to remember the number entry to pick the favorite carrier.

BTW I noted a mapping issue on island

post-5138-0-31919900-1357498209_thumb.jpg

was it with previous lods too?

Anyway we could ask for a fix ..... with proper request module!

No the old LODs work fine. I do not like random CV choice.You can change the number but you must type in the name. You can do it however you choose, I just like having the CV's as seperate ground objects because they each have their own service dates and you can change the parking layouts to individualise each boat. I have been making seperate boats out of CV classes since I started playing this thing. Call me nutty.Oh another thing, for the AD 2-4's I modded them to get rid of the never used radar pod and folded their wings so unless you do that the placement will not be right. The AD-4NL's wings dont fold so I just "//" out the carrier animation for them. The Corsairs wings don't fold.... but they are smaller and still seem to manage to fit.

This is the best we got for now unless you want to fly Panther Jets from the Nimitz....which would be pretty silly. :drinks: Kinda like when I landed an F/A-18C Hornet on Rising Sun's USS Hornet.

post-38143-0-57474200-1357510137_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

That's ok. It seems that the new lod has the mapping issue.

About editor that's true. To show decals You have to choose the number and to show the name You have to type it inside the editor.

The last question: with all the crowded deck (very very nice) is it possible to land?

The YAP for scripted missions made two carriers one to take off and the other to land ..... not useful in camps or mission mode.

Ok, your nutty!!

:biggrin:

wouldn't you rather I call you cab???

-------

the issues with the Skyraiders and Corsairs is well known ... iirc, it's mentioned in the readmes. The APS-4 pods shouldn't show up on parked aircraft, as they're added in the loadout ini (which still do't explain why TKs own A-1H -which the 2-4 are based on- don't have parked folded wings.)

Roger, Wrench. I know the deal with the Able Dogs as per your read me's and my own experience f-ing with them in the past. What I meant by the APS-4 was not that it showed up on parked aircraft but that I just pulled it out of the loadout because I have yet to see a pic of one in Korea with it mounted (AD-4NL diff story). Paulo check the pics posted with the download. I can trap everytime in the Panther, Raz's Banjo, and the AD. The Corsair on the other hand is really tricky. If you are over 100 kts. when you hit the deck you bounce. Boing! just like that youtube video of that corsair that bounces right into a gaggle of AD's and makes a real mess. Using this mod is kinda skill level 3 as far as airmanship is concerned. Thinking about putting another couple of meters on the Corsair hook as a cheat but just as in reality it is really hard to see over the nose. you have to come in in like a sweeping curve and hit it just right and hope you don't stall out and ramp strike or bounce as mentioned before. They did not call the Corsair the "Ensign Eliminator" for nothing.